I'm playing my first live gig soon, and I'm really nervous but excited for it.
Do you guys have any good pointers you could give me on playing, and just some things I should expect?

shanghai

dont leave it to the last week to prepare. get it all worked out as early as possible so you can practice plenty of time at home. that way you can enjoy playing, rather than it being a traumatic  experience. if you're well prepared you wont be nervous - you ll just be itching to go kick some ass.

washington

Just be confident, and people will feed off of your energy. If you look/act timid, the crowd isn't going to get into the music like they would if you were confident. Just a rule of thumb, act like Sabrepulse onstage and you'll be set. big_smile

Here are some threads that answer your basic question.
http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/7002/ … rformance/
http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/9080/ … a-concert/

BK

Have fun. Laugh off any mistakes that occur (because hey, chip hardware is tempramental), dance a bit if that's your thing. Generally if the crowd can tell you're enjoying yourself, they will too. Exude whatever emotion your music is expressing and you'll be in good shape.
OH yeah, practicing helps, and people always like a nice transition.

Should I do little variations with my music live? like, mess with the mixer, get some different sounds,  change pitches, fine tuning, etc for a little live fun? :3

mainz, grmny.

You're gonna fail.
People will make fun of you for the rest of your life.

BK

Yeah, do some live tweaking, but don't go too too overboard. People like things to be familiar but not exactly like they are on the record. Change too much and you may risk losing them.

not really, man. i've seen far worse than me play live.

and yeah, i agree, kris.

Abandoned on Fire

Own that shit.  Dominate the crowd with your awesome.

Finland

Get drunk, dont give a fuck, go home with the prom queen. or something.

Washington DC

Don't worry about it.

rochester, ny

overprepare. bring too many cables. bring backups of stuff in case something breaks. be conscious of the length of time that passes between songs. actually have fun.

"Get drunk, don't give a fuck"
hahahahaha.
Thanks, guys!

Seattle, WA US

yah get really drunk to the point you can't remember your mistakes

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

After you set up; stop, take a deep breath and slow your heart rate down.

For my last gig I had to rush to set up and I didn't calm down before my first song. Made a couple mistakes more on the keyboard than I'd like to in the beginning.

Another thing: if you're playing an instrument that is on a table (like a keyboard), take some time to get used to it's height. Play through some riffs of a song with the sound off or something, it definitely helps nail down the muscle memory aspect.

Good luck~<3

Last edited by Auxcide (Dec 23, 2012 6:26 pm)