I quite like bandcamp, as a consumer, that is. A lot of the music is free and you can listen in full before deciding to download.

shanghai

seconded. some of the best music i got in 2012 (most actually) were free/pay what you likeys from bandcamp......and the odd freebie from soundcloud.

Godzilladelph
herr_prof wrote:

If you are worried about irgoing evil, just use a custom domain so you can easily switch vendors when it does.

quit bitching about a free service that you don't even have to use you fucking twats ;D

Godzilladelph
danimal cannon wrote:

lol at people dissing bandcamp.  You know what else is bullshit?  Digital Audio Workstations, puppies, and filibusters.

fuck you, puppies are awesome.

Unsubscribe

Wait was why my innocent suggestion quoted to call people twats.

IL, US

guessing hes still trashed from magfest and quoted the wrong post

Unsubscribe

Oh thats ok then.

babylon

damn guys. the bandcamp bashing to bandcamp basher bashing ration itt thread is very lopsided. its just a website not your favorite genre.
but if can weigh in i like bandcamp from a consumer standpoint. never used it to release anything. hell ive just never released anything. im sad now.

D D D Detroit, not the burbs

Im pretty sure the direction of every thread could be determined with a flowchart...

Bandcamp is cool and I had no idea people disliked paypal.  Its possible to pay as a guest and with the internet its tough to pay without using a card no matter how you pay so whats the difference?

Chicago IL, USA

Oh, this thread is still going? that's cool.

Lexington, KY

Thought about this today.
I think the worst thing about bandcamp isn't even bandcamp.
It's us.
If there's a way to completely push out albums by ourselves, with no outside input, we're probably less inclined to go over and over and over our own material to make it worthwhile. Maybe we need a little bit of that 'major label' mentality to make sure we produce only the best things we're capable of.

Solarbear wrote:

Thought about this today.
I think the worst thing about bandcamp isn't even bandcamp.
It's us.
If there's a way to completely push out albums by ourselves, with no outside input, we're probably less inclined to go over and over and over our own material to make it worthwhile. Maybe we need a little bit of that 'major label' mentality to make sure we produce only the best things we're capable of.

2013 - Dare To Not Release Music Year-

no let's not go there

But yes. I, for one, know I lack polish. I may shield myself on the "my first material" on the stuff I have out, but I still know I could do better. And so I shall.

New Albany Indiana

I don't see whats wrong with band camp, i could see though in the future they might pull off what instagram did, saying that any thing on there is theirs, but really, would that ever happen?

Abandoned on Fire

Everything on Bandcamp automatically has some form of CC license attached to it.

Chicago IL, USA
egr wrote:

Everything on Bandcamp automatically has some form of CC license attached to it.

I actually just had my first real issue with bandcamp today because of this. there's no option to pick a default license. there isn't even an option to pick a license for a full album. you really have to go do it track by track and that is awful.

Brooklyn NY US
egr wrote:

I can't imagine this is the case. Where are you seeing this?