United Kingdom

Bandcamp is a 'free' service.

Don't like it, don't use it. Simples.

Bit Shifter wrote:
egr wrote:

Everything on Bandcamp automatically has some form of CC license attached to it.

I can't imagine this is the case. Where are you seeing this?

Yeah this isn't true, I checked all my tracks and they defaulted to "all rights reserved", but with the option to change it if you like.

East Kilbride, Scotland
Edward Shallow wrote:

from the inability to arrange albums other than 'by release date'

Click on your name, profile, then scroll down to Discography and select custom order, then drag into the order you'd like.

Edward Shallow wrote:

the insistence of PayPal only

PayPal is not required.

http://bandcamp.com/buying_without_paypal

Edward Shallow wrote:

and the lack of user support.

I've never had to deal with them, so I can't comment on that.

Edward Shallow wrote:

Not only that, but the 'free downloads' function is a fucking joke.

I can agree with you here, but even Soundcloud limits your free downloads without a subscription. You can see why they did it.

Also, you can easily get around it by posting a Mediafire link in the description of your album (that actually might be better, because you could limit the high-quality downloads to paying customers).

Last edited by Sycamore Drive (Jan 8, 2013 9:45 pm)

Brunswick, GA USA

The reason Instagram can have such PITA terms is because it was built into their terms to begin with. I recall seeing a "we reserve the right to use any photo for promotion of our service" when I first signed on. After a while I also realized that they don't do anything I can't do just as easily with any other picture service since the only "feature" I was using was automatic square cropping, so now my crops can be any shape I please.

Soundcloud limiting downloads without a subscription is news to me, but I've had a subscription for about nine months now, mainly to have the extra space and not need to delete things or make an extra account. I don't mind the extra stats but the only ones I really look at are the geographics.

Abandoned on Fire
Zef wrote:
Bit Shifter wrote:

I can't imagine this is the case. Where are you seeing this?

Yeah this isn't true, I checked all my tracks and they defaulted to "all rights reserved", but with the option to change it if you like.

"All Rights Reserved" is a license, too.  What I meant was everything has a license and the user has the ability to change what that license is.  No rights at all are transfered to Bandcamp.

EDIT:  Oh, I see the confusion.  Drop the "CC" from my first post.  Force of habit.  tongue

Last edited by egr (Jan 8, 2013 10:01 pm)

East Kilbride, Scotland
chunter wrote:

Soundcloud limiting downloads without a subscription is news to me, but I've had a subscription for about nine months now, mainly to have the extra space and not need to delete things or make an extra account. I don't mind the extra stats but the only ones I really look at are the geographics.

Without Soundcloud Premium Solo (or above), each song can only be downloaded 100 times. You need to pay 9 Euros a month (or 79 a year) for unlimited free downloads of your songs.

http://soundcloud.com/premium/free

Last edited by Sycamore Drive (Jan 8, 2013 11:05 pm)

Scotland

I think it's shit to charge someone for downloads. They're are fucking copious scenarios where I've needed to download my music that I haven't had it on hand. Unlike someone, I don't carry my entire music collection with me. So, no, not every artist has it.

The points raised are valid. I'm not going to stop using Bandcamp because of it. It's just a flaw.

New Albany Indiana

Band camp doesn't decide to charge you to download, its the uploaded.

Chicago IL
Edward Shallow wrote:

I think it's shit to charge someone for downloads. They're are fucking copious scenarios where I've needed to download my music that I haven't had it on hand. Unlike someone, I don't carry my entire music collection with me. So, no, not every artist has it.

The points raised are valid. I'm not going to stop using Bandcamp because of it. It's just a flaw.

I mean, it seems like if there's all these scenarios where you need to download your own music, you should probably just go the entire-music-collection-on-hand route.

edit: or just get a fuckin' dropbox account SHEESH

Last edited by Saskrotch (Jan 12, 2013 12:49 am)

Marseille

Edward Shallow wrote:
and the lack of user support

What? They have teh best user support, they answer swiftly, and that PR girl they have even sends me emails sometimes just asking if everything is alright and if we need like a coffee or anything.

Chicago IL, USA
Zef wrote:

For some reason mine defaults to non-commercial share alike, but all rights reserved is the default according to bandcamp. I iz special.

New Albany Indiana

Ok if bandcamp has bad user support, that means that you tube is backed by a terrorist organisation.

Chicago IL
Bit wish wrote:

Ok if bandcamp has bad user support, that means that you tube is backed by a terrorist organisation.

yeah i've never had anything but good experiences.

Chicago IL

I mean, technically, on topic is "there's a bunch of chip people using bandcamp"

Freiburg, Germany

This thread actually inspired me to try and code a little shop on my own page that I can use instead of Bandcamp. I love Bandcamp but I prefer not to be dependant on a service that may change into something I hate or cease to exist eventually.

edit: actually leaving Bandcamp would also be stupid. Let's say in conjunction with

Last edited by lastfuture (Jan 12, 2013 3:44 am)

Sydney, NSW
lastfuture wrote:

This thread actually inspired me to try and code a little shop on my own page that I can use instead of Bandcamp. I love Bandcamp but I prefer not to be dependant on a service that may change into something I hate or cease to exist eventually.

By this logic, the same could be said about every other website. What proof is there that Bandcamp is gonna turn evil? From the cool newsletters I keep receiving from then (one of the only email newsletters I'm happy and excited to receive), they just keep adding a bunch of cool and helpful new features that make it easier for the artist to get their tunes listened to.

Edward Shallow wrote:

Get with the fuckin times, man. Buy an iPod or a dodgy $30 MP3 player. Chuck some MP3s on your phone. If you don't have a device big enough to carry it, upgrade.

Or get a USB drive. Or cloud storage.

It's not that difficult, really.

Sycamore Drive wrote:
Edward Shallow wrote:

the insistence of PayPal only

PayPal is not required.

In his defence, I think he was talking about the only method of collecting funds from the listener/purchaser.
That said though, I think that PayPal is one of the best ways for anyone who does eCommerce to collect money; widely supported by a bunch of services, quick, and sometimes reliable (I've had some problems with linking up bank<->PayPal in the past, but collecitng purchases has worked fine for me, and I'm sure hundreds of others.

Sounds like Eddy wither has a major hipster complex, or he's still living in the 80s.