Los Angeles, CA
Chainsaw Police wrote:
Edward Shallow wrote:

I think it's shit to charge someone for downloads. They're are fucking copious scenarios where I've needed to download my music that I haven't had it on hand. Unlike someone, I don't carry my entire music collection with me. So, no, not every artist has it.

The points raised are valid. I'm not going to stop using Bandcamp because of it. It's just a flaw.

Get with the fuckin times, man. Buy an iPod or a dodgy $30 MP3 player. Chuck some MP3s on your phone. If you don't have a device big enough to carry it, upgrade.

Or get a USB drive. Or cloud storage.

It's not that difficult, really.

srsly. if this is really a situation you continuously find yourself facing, rather than talking down to people who have their shit together and make sure that they have their important files readily accessible at any time, you should figure out a permanent solution for such a bizarre problem as opposed to a temporary one.

Freiburg, Germany
Chainsaw Police wrote:
lastfuture wrote:

This thread actually inspired me to try and code a little shop on my own page that I can use instead of Bandcamp. I love Bandcamp but I prefer not to be dependant on a service that may change into something I hate or cease to exist eventually.

By this logic, the same could be said about every other website. What proof is there that Bandcamp is gonna turn evil?

Absolutely none. There doesn't have to be. It has happened before, services get bought and suddenly close their doors, or it turns out they can no longer maintain their business and have to shut down on short notice, or suddenly decisions get made that aren't in line with how they used to be for which ever reason. I'd rather have control over my stuff.

And yeah I'm saying the same thing about any other service, too. It could even happen to something like cm.o or 8bc ... whoops smile

Los Angeles, CA

yeah, back in the day a lot of people relied on mp3.com in the exact same way as they do bandcamp now, and then when it went away in '02-'03 or whenever the fuck it was, they were shit out of luck. there is nothing to suggest that bandcamp will always be around, though i'm sure business is good for them and, unless a worthy opponent pops up, it's the best way for artists to sell music digitally without spending any money themselves. so it's unlikely that bandcamp is going anywhere any time soon.

and regarding them becoming evil...meh, it's a lot easier for services like instagram, facebook, and youtube to become evil because everyone uses them. EVERYONE. bandcamp has a much more limited and specific user base (meaning people who upload music), and if they started trying to fuck with the rights people have over their own music, that would probably fuck with their business a lot. people are much less likely to stand for some website trying to take ownership of their music than they are a website claiming ownership over some square cropped vintage filtered photo of last night's dinner.

Sydney, NSW
lastfuture wrote:
Chainsaw Police wrote:

By this logic, the same could be said about every other website. What proof is there that Bandcamp is gonna turn evil?

Absolutely none. There doesn't have to be. It has happened before, services get bought and suddenly close their doors, or it turns out they can no longer maintain their business and have to shut down on short notice, or suddenly decisions get made that aren't in line with how they used to be for which ever reason. I'd rather have control over my stuff.

And yeah I'm saying the same thing about any other service, too. It could even happen to something like cm.o or 8bc ... whoops smile

So because every single web service has the possibility of going sour, that means you should use none of them?

Sound logic, brah.

works for me

Freiburg, Germany
Chainsaw Police wrote:

So because every single web service has the possibility of going sour, that means you should use none of them?

Sound logic, brah.

Nah, becaue none of them are reliable you should have a working backup plan. I'll plan on using them all until they fail, but not exclusively for stuff I care about.

shanghai

so whose band owns what chips ?

Chicago IL

that's not even good

Abandoned on Fire

zelda step owns bandcamp

shanghai

that's not even gold