UK, Leicester
egr wrote:

I think the perceived "hardware or its fake" attitude pushes newcomers towards the cheapest and easiest to find platform which is obviously gameboy.  The same attitude prevents new and sonetimes old chippers from considering all the great dos options which anyone can run totally for free.  I dont have a solution, just saying its a shame.  :'(

But it is fake, it's called fakebit for a reason. If anything fakebit has become more accepted, before it was just called "shit" or "not real" or a variety of insults. I've always been under the impression that if it can't run on the hardware, and is for example just some samples, then it isn't chiptune. I have no problem with fakebit as a separate genre, just calling it chiptune isn't right imo. Because this is the best example I've managed to come up with imma gunna use it. Calling a fakebit song a chiptune is to anime fans calling avatar an anime. It may look like an anime, but it's a western animation, it's a knockoff, a fake, an impersonation of the real deal. I'm not saying that it's a a bad thing that it exists, I'm saying that it shouldn't be called something it isn't

Gosford, Australia

but i call anime "cartoons" all the time cause they're just cartoons made by japanese people :v

Abandoned on Fire

There are emulators for EVERYTHING and they can output files for hardware.  Also, and I'm guilty of this too, saying "just samples" ignores a huge chunk of chiptune history... hell, "chiptune" as a word originally referred to using small single-cycle SAMPLES.  Also, Fast Tracker II ... Impulse Tracker ... LGPT ... knowwutimeanvern?

If new peeps were even more strongly pushed towards trying emulators and dos trackers before getting any hardware at all then we would probably see a much more interesting variety of tunes being made rather than such a gameboy-centric situation.

Disclaimer:  Thinking that everybody using gb's is boring assumes that the compositions would be better on other hardware and obviously that's not true.

IL, US

also, referring to things as fakebit was a joke in the first place, not a serious distinction anyone was making

New Albany Indiana
infradead wrote:
Bit wish wrote:

OK guys lets keep this on topic.

Lol. Going off topic is always the good part!   God mom you ruin everything!

*Slams door behind him and pouts in his room*

some mods dont like that though Di

Brunswick, GA USA

Please necro one of the other threads on this subject so we can close them.
There's nothing wrong with pastiche.

New York City
jefftheworld wrote:

The C64 sounds great, but it has serious design flaws that cause reliability issues.

What???

England

lol, I've lost more Game Boy data to crappy back up devices than I have using c64 tapes and disks over the years.

South Jersey, USA

what exactly are zef instruments anyway? can't seem to find a lead on Bing or google.

e.s.c. wrote:

also, referring to things as fakebit was a joke in the first place, not a serious distinction anyone was making

canada
SJSFC wrote:

what exactly are zef instruments anyway? can't seem to find a lead on Bing or google.

lsdj instruments made by musician zef

UK, Leicester
egr wrote:

There are emulators for EVERYTHING and they can output files for hardware.  Also, and I'm guilty of this too, saying "just samples" ignores a huge chunk of chiptune history... hell, "chiptune" as a word originally referred to using small single-cycle SAMPLES.  Also, Fast Tracker II ... Impulse Tracker ... LGPT ... knowwutimeanvern?

If new peeps were even more strongly pushed towards trying emulators and dos trackers before getting any hardware at all then we would probably see a much more interesting variety of tunes being made rather than such a gameboy-centric situation.

Disclaimer:  Thinking that everybody using gb's is boring assumes that the compositions would be better on other hardware and obviously that's not true.

I'm not trying to sound like I don't know anything, or that I'm ignoring all of those trackers from back then. I use some trackers occasionally, not fastracker II, but I've got milky and nitrotracker on my DS, I use them quite often, but anything I make on them is then transferred into famitracker.

I see what you mean here, there are a lot of tracks made on LSDJ, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Then again (as you said) even if artists did use other means of making music, if there song writing skills suck and are unoriginal, than all they are are sucky and unoriginal in a different format. As a cheep-skate, I can tell you that after more than 2 years of having interest in this kinda stuff, I only bought a flashcart and LSDJ on Wednesday. I've been using famitracker, I love it and I wish more people would use it. I would like to point out that I don't think there's anything wrong with using any kind of means of making music, whether it's on a C64, gamboy or on a tracker and that as long as your songs are good then the format doesn't matter either.

Back to what I said earlier about how "if it doesn't run on hardware then it isn't chiptune" this is after all only an opinion. I'm not going to get angry or complain at people if they use samples from LSDJ in another program, that's just fucking dumb.

e.s.c. wrote:

What. No way. Shit, I guess I'll shut up for a bit and lurk/learn more then.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
akira^8GB wrote:
jefftheworld wrote:

The C64 sounds great, but it has serious design flaws that cause reliability issues.

What???

Exposed pins that can fry your chip, floating pins, overheating soundchips, really unreliable PSUs (no really, just modify a C128 PSU or build your own, never use an original C64 PSU).  It was a brilliantly made system for the time, but it's over 2 decades old and there were some design choices made to keep costs low.

That said, I freaking love my C64!  Such a sound, so powerful and a sexy design!

Last edited by jefftheworld (Jan 25, 2013 5:53 pm)

London, Ontario
SJSFC wrote:

you can bing shit now?

Andromeda's Black Hole

my chiptunes are still very simple, short, basic, and not very melodical because I haven't really mastered any other musical instrument. I do see the chiptune as a very complex, successful and pleasing form of art, and I believe the old veterans are people that should be seen as role models for us, less skilled chiptuners (or no skill, in my case). As someone here has probably already stated, maybe the standard for chipmusic is too low. I think that there's a feeling among new players to make their songs be untz untz untz chiptunes. I've written about 8 or 9 tracks in LSDJ and most of them were like that. I saw what was happening and came to the conclusion that I naturally went for untz untz untz types of songs because they're the easiest to make. I've stopped doing untz untz untz and want to go into chip-ambient music because it creates more diversity among the music being made, and that's what's ultimately going to be the deciding line in the community: Whether to make simple untz untz untz songs or actually go off into the different genres of chiptunes and even create more genres that will expand knowledge of what is possible with LSDJ or C64 and etc.

What would be a great idea is a centralized source of LSDJ tutorials. I know that there's LSDJguides and such other tutorial and information pages out there, but it's all scattered and theres no real order to it. The tutorials for "making your first chiptune" are plentiful, but the all end right there, and only give a very basic synthesis of the information needed. The closest thing to an actual in-depth tutorial out there in my opinion is andaruGO's gameboy school. He never really continued his work on it, though. What would be a nice change is to gather a team of chiptuners and make a Youtube channel that would be dedicated to make lessons starting from square 1 and show the screens and navigation in LSDJ, and go on to make in-depth explanation of each sound channel, how it works, what roles in can play in a song, etc, and then go into teaching advanced techniques and groove changes and things like that. That way, there's a way for chiptunes to be taught as a form of art, in the proper ways of playing it, and there is a source for information for new chiptuners to use instead of bothering the forums.

those are my two cents on the topic.

New Albany Indiana
Invisible Robot Hands wrote:
Bit wish wrote:

I think they like to act like they played there pokemon and are making music out of nostalgia, me, im the opposite.

I /did/ play Pokemon on mine, but since day one of chipmusic-ing, I've done everything in my power to entirely segregate my music from "omg i rembr mario and pokman".

same here