canada

i think it is a neat but i dnot read the threads when they are so long : }

wailord wrote:
SJSFC wrote:

what exactly are zef instruments anyway? can't seem to find a lead on Bing or google.

lsdj instruments made by musician zef

Haha, that made me laugh.

Douglas, Wyoming
Jellica wrote:

i just get a bit weary of all the nintendo fetishism

No love for a genesis.

Last edited by Monotron (Jan 26, 2013 2:53 am)

IL, US
Monotron wrote:
Jellica wrote:

i just get a bit weary of all the nintendo fetishism

No love for a genesis.

i think the 51 page long genesis MDM thread would beg to differ

montreal, qc
egr wrote:

Also, and I'm guilty of this too, saying "just samples" ignores a huge chunk of chiptune history... hell, "chiptune" as a word originally referred to using small single-cycle SAMPLES.  Also, Fast Tracker II ... Impulse Tracker ... LGPT ... knowwutimeanvern?

Just wanted to say thank you - I've long given up explaining this etymology of the term. (Or at least, this parallel meaning which was previously widely accepted 15-20 years ago.) It's pretty WTF to have people dissing "fakebit" (seemingly seriously) in one thread, all the while throwing up links to radix tracks via youtube in another thread.

.MOD has been around for longer than the nintendo gameboy, for what it's worth.

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

Why the fuck am I reading every page of this. . .

Also, I'd like to see more LSDJ combinations like what I do. [ 2xlsdj & arduinoboy controlling drum machines, samplers, synths, piano, effects, etc. ] but less the whole people just syncing it to ableton and more physical hardware. I mean, fuck, look at all that shit my arduinoboy is controlling at once. It's a newer aspect of gameboy tracking. It's interesting writing drum patterns with almost the same limitations as writing phrases in LSDJ. Granted there are ways to get more, but it's another aspect of a limitation. Maybe it's just because I'm so bored with people's post editing, but if I can't do it to my song live with my equipment, I won't record it. Personally, this is why I still mostly use LSDJ. It's something that sets me apart and I hear a lot of LSDJ users say they didn't even know they could get into stuff like this. . . Kinda sad.

tl;dr: there needs to be more of an expansion from "traditional" LSDJ use. Add some kazoo.

To those artists who are moving forward, awesome. You know who you are. A lot of people have contacted me with new projects that combine other things with chipmusic. So look out for some really interesting ideas. omg chippunk yus

New Albany Indiana
Auxcide wrote:

if I can't do it to my song live with my equipment, I won't record it.

Yea i do the same, i don't want to get peoples hopes up.

Sweden
egr wrote:

Disclaimer:  Thinking that everybody using gb's is boring assumes that the compositions would be better on other hardware and obviously that's not true.

No it doesn't. You're the one making assumptions here.

Earth

As long as cm.o remains a place to share knowledge and music, I think it's great.

Warwickshire, UK

This community to me feels rather closed. Fine if you're already known here, but it doesn't seem to want to engage newcomers who largely get ignored.

BTW, regarding the C64 reliability issue mentioned in this thread, I currently have 3. One of which I recovered from a skip in 1996 and put it straight in to a box never to be switched on until last year. They're all working perfectly.

Trento, Italy
TDK wrote:

This community to me feels rather closed. Fine if you're already known here, but it doesn't seem to want to engage newcomers who largely get gnored

Do you  know the golden rule of chipmusic ?
Release
Make drama
Instant popularity gain

Warwickshire, UK

LOL - well I did release in December, and got one reply. Posted a track for some constructive critisism, nothing at all. So different to the good ol' days in the early 90's.

Luckily for me, the crowd over at Chiptunes=WIN on Facebook are a really positive and supportive bunch, and helped a lot.

Earth
TDK wrote:

LOL - well I did release in December, and got one reply. Posted a track for some constructive critisism, nothing at all. So different to the good ol' days in the early 90's.

Maybe that's because the group of enthusiasts (henceforth referred to as 'the scene') was so small back then. So people were more supportive. There are so many EPs, its hard to listen to every one. Thats I think why the natives crack down, and say that you need to do more self-edititing.  Just my 2cents. Your album is really good btw.

Last edited by breakphase (Feb 2, 2013 3:23 pm)

Warwickshire, UK

Yeah, the scene does seem a tad saturated now. You're right, it is difficult to keep up with thing. The scene in Europe was actually quite large, there were the groups who stood out from the mediocrity etc, but heck some of those parties were pretty damn big. Not sure what it was like across the pond, I don't remember a lot going on.

Thanks, glad you like it. General response from those who have heard it has been really positive smile

Westfield, NJ
TDK wrote:

Stop mistaking this website for "the scene." It's not representative. This is just where a bunch of curmudgeons go to argue about stuff.

Also I remember seeing that thread! But I was at work and couldn't listen to your album. Listening to it now smile

Last edited by Decktonic (Feb 2, 2013 9:28 pm)

Brighton | Portsmouth | UK
Decktonic wrote:

Stop mistaking this website for "the scene." It's not representative. This is just where a bunch of curmudgeons go to argue about stuff.

So this. Coming here makes me feel like a better person