it's a place so worried about trolls that nothing new actually gets said

Unsubscribe

No i think its only us trolls that are left big_smile

Westfield, NJ

y'all are posting in a troll thread.

Harrisonburg, Virginia
Wizwars wrote:

It's too easy to be a smartass tough guy behind a keyboard and that makes people much more likely to say shit that would get them punched right in the mouth if they said it to someone's face.

You see, I don't actually believe that. I've never once met a person that stands up to people like that in real life. Especially in a music scene.

Put yourself in the shoes of someone just starting out in the scene (like you once were). No one knows them, and no one particularly sees their opinion favorably (maybe not unfavorably either, but not positively). You're a nobody for argument's sake. If you met someone in real life from this scene that was "famous" or "well-known" or "respected" and they treated you like shit, I can almost guarantee you wouldn't punch them in the face for being a dick. You'd walk away and probably become disenfranchised. Or you'd ignore them and move on to someone else.

Hell, I haven't seen anyone stand up for people getting subtly shitted upon by scene regulars or whatever at shows. Everyone feels awkward and sort of avoids the situation. I've been on the receiving end of said douchery at pretty much every chip show I've been to. Usually it's only one or two people there, so I understand it's not a common thing. I've never given up at actually becoming a part of this scene or even just getting to know people, but my point is new people and people with less connections to or knowledge of the scene get shat on and don't actually receive the help people say they give or retort the way people say they would if they were talked down to in person.

Again, the above is usually uncommon, but I've seen it happen and experienced it, and neither myself nor the other people it happened to stood up for themselves (as they were new and felt foolish or whatever), nor did anyone around them help the person out, in fact joining in jokingly in the derision.

tl;dr Fuck bullying; usually this scene is full of nice people in real life. The internet sucks, I guess? Also qq

Last edited by Russellian (Feb 7, 2013 6:55 pm)

Harrisonburg, Virginia

Also, I'm not looking for pity, I just don't like to see people white knighting around on the internet. I have nothing but respect for you and a lot of other people in this scene wiz (read: I'm sincerely not trying to start a flame war), but it is just as easy to be a nice guy behind a keyboard and not do anything about it in person. That said, I've never met you, so this point may be totally invalidated by who you are and what you do. My point is that, from experience, people tend not to back up their words on the internet, nice or not.

Last edited by Russellian (Feb 7, 2013 7:01 pm)

Los Angeles, CA

My post was more about relationships between established members of the scene than how newbies are treated...that's an entirely different area. I can say that when I was a newbie, I had nothing but positive experiences when meeting people who were "famous" within the scene. Everyone was super friendly, positive, and generally awesome to talk to. Because of that, I do my very best to keep that same thing going when talking to people who are new to the scene at shows and whatnot (though if you're an asshole I'm probably not going to give you the time of day, regardless of your status in the scene).

My basic point is, there aren't too many trolls in the real life, face to face chip scene, because that shit just generally isn't tolerated.

Harrisonburg, Virginia

Oh yeah, that's been the majority of my experience, too. As I said, the few negative encounters I had were isolated. I guess it's a bad example. I do agree that most people are nice as hell to new people in person, especially if they're not assholes, no-it-alls, or egregiously awkward. Those are just standard social problems no one puts up with (except for the last, which a few nice people look around).

Bit wish wrote:
Alpine wrote:

/thread

There is quite a bit of that, the internet is a brilliant mask

Part of the reason why i'm afraid of going to shows.

If you went to a show, I doubt anyone would be mean to you unless you gave them a reason. Also, when you've (through no fault of your own or otherwise) made a bad name for yourself online, I wouldn't introduce yourself by your internet/artist alias. Just saying. Other than that, taking the initiative to talk to people at chip shows (or even look up "famous" people or people you want to talk to beforehand /stalker style) helps immensely. Established scene members tend to stick with their friends in the scene, but that's not really a bad thing unless they act stuck up, and wiz and I just talked about how, by and large, most people aren't like that.

New Albany Indiana
Wizwars wrote:

My post was more about relationships between established members of the scene than how newbies are treated...that's an entirely different area. I can say that when I was a newbie, I had nothing but positive experiences when meeting people who were "famous" within the scene. Everyone was super friendly, positive, and generally awesome to talk to. Because of that, I do my very best to keep that same thing going when talking to people who are new to the scene at shows and whatnot (though if you're an asshole I'm probably not going to give you the time of day, regardless of your status in the scene).

My basic point is, there aren't too many trolls in the real life, face to face chip scene, because that shit just generally isn't tolerated.

Its the people between "well known artist" and "Newbies" (the middlemen who are semi-popular) that tend to be trolls and jerks.

Puerto Rico

Why does this thread keep going?

New Albany Indiana
Xuriik wrote:

Why does this thread keep going?

Because there are 50 identicle post as yours.

rochester, ny
Wizwars wrote:

I can say that when I was a newbie, I had nothing but positive experiences when meeting people who were "famous" within the scene. Everyone was super friendly, positive, and generally awesome to talk to. Because of that, I do my very best to keep that same thing going when talking to people who are new to the scene at shows and whatnot

again, this is my exact experience. when i was a "noob", i would email the people whose music i liked and without exception, they were all extremely helpful, gracious, patient, and just generally awesome.

actually, i've only had one negative experience actually with some one who was "famous in the scene" but it wasn't even that bad.

i think most of the "established chip artist" vs. "chip noob" drama on here is about people being annoyed that other people don't use google before posting new threads.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
nickmaynard wrote:

actually, i've only had one negative experience actually with some one who was "famous in the scene" but it wasn't even that bad.

I think everyone who read that immediately thought, "Spill!"

tongue

Last edited by jefftheworld (Feb 8, 2013 9:38 am)

Gosford, Australia
Wizwars wrote:

My post was more about relationships between established members of the scene than how newbies are treated...that's an entirely different area. I can say that when I was a newbie, I had nothing but positive experiences when meeting people who were "famous" within the scene. Everyone was super friendly, positive, and generally awesome to talk to.

yo, this (among other things) is what made blip oz the best thing ever and i hope to have mad chatz with everyone who comes to square sounds & the pre-party/open mic next week!

barf

your website layout is too dark and its spookin everyone out

UK, Leicester
kfaraday wrote:

But you can make it white in the settings, or something like that

New Albany Indiana
Alpine wrote:
kfaraday wrote:

But you can make it white in the settings, or something like that

It would be cool if you could personalize the setting your self, and the layout.