I spam my tracks on Facebook so I can feel good about my listens on Soundcloud going above the typical 11 listens in a month. When I hype releases, it's like "Here's my music... it's free... I kind of like it... it's free... please listen... I tried... I promise... or just forget about it..."

I need to do better with this xD

Brighton | Portsmouth | UK

Tbh, if you get someone else to do it for you there can be no guilt

.FILTHadelphia

Just stay edgy as fuck, write songs and don't tell anyone. You'll be the coolest cat you know.

Madison, Alabama
Saskrotch wrote:

only if i post twice in a row in my own thread. also feel embarrassed when people repeatedly bump their own release thread.

Shit man.  This.  I try to avoid my release thread.  If you're 30% of your release thread I get embarrassed.

That being said, I used to feel really weird about "hyping" a release, but I got older and cared less.  If you don't promote yourself, who will?

Just don't be a douche about it.  Don't assume anyone is excited or looking forward to it.  Just put the info out there.  "Hey guys, I have a release coming up."  You can promote your music without being an ass.  Just keep it humble, low-key, and matter-of-fact.

You make cool music. Be proud and let people know.  But, you know, don't be a spaz and spam your own release page or tell people they should be excited or some shit.

Forest Maze

I honestly felt really really bad about posting my own release because I feel like I honestly do jack shit as far as the actual evolution of music goes.

but my grandfather told me "If you don't value your time and effort nobody will"

I just wanted people to hear my music.

and I was REALLY REALLY hoping people would enjoy it.

Last edited by NUCLACE (Jun 2, 2012 4:09 am)

NC in the US of America
NUCLACE wrote:

I honestly felt really really bad about posting my own release because I feel like I honestly do jack shit as far as the actual evolution of music goes.

but my grandfather told me "If you don't value your time and effort nobody will"

And if still nobody values your time and effort after that, at least you have something you can enjoy ingesting yourself.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Jun 2, 2012 4:19 am)

Forest Maze
SketchMan3 wrote:
NUCLACE wrote:

And if still nobody values your time and effort after that, at least you have something you can enjoy ingesting yourself.

I at least feel like , I tried.

Last edited by NUCLACE (Jun 2, 2012 4:22 am)

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

I feel because it's my first release and no one really knows of my music yet, that I have to get it out there. I try not to be an ass or say you should be excited, just updates and chances to hear examples of how I sound.

Brunswick, GA USA
Zan-zan-zawa-butt wrote:

i feel super ashamed to even attempt any element of press or goodwill to a listener

i just want you all to fuck off

I don't feel that strongly but I dislike self-promotion. I have to make myself post in six different places, figuring out the net results of each, realizing I only get good results in one or two internet venues, and that few places will like the broad range of my music.

Forest Maze

-

Last edited by NUCLACE (Jun 2, 2012 11:44 am)

Chicago IL

woah did you just get grounded or something

shanghai

no

hardcore, Australia

I always think if you aren't hyped about releasing your music, why should anyone else be?

NC in the US of America

tl;dq

I hope you didn't think I was saying "I didn't like your music, but at least you like it."

I was just commenting on the quote of your grandfather with a general consolation to anybody who feels their effort was worth nothing.

I wasn't going to come back to explain my post, but you quoted it, and then quoted yourself quoting it, so I had to say something.

Making $$ on your debut release is something to be proud of, I'd think.

i feel good about this thread and about you, susan

UK

you should never promote digital releases, theyre not actual releases.. just internet archives

just leave links on you website/main page and spend all your money on making tapes no one will hear

Last edited by ▒▒▒ (Jun 2, 2012 10:04 am)