Grimsby, UK

panics over guys, finally got LSDJ, Johan was on holiday. But thanks for all the cool sh!t you showed me

Austin, Texas

It's all good, bro.

Showing each other cool shit is what the Internet is all about. smile

nashville,tn

you can do other time sig's in nano...but you better have yr fractional hat nearby..you gotta write a phrase over more than loop and put it together in the song editor, 5 loops in 4/4 can be used to write a phrase in 5/4-not ideal but works

Cleveland, OH

Seems like everyone is making time signatures in LSDj really complicated. For 3/4 you would just put an H command on row C in every phrase. This cuts out the last 1/4 note. You can do this kind of thing for any time signature.

Austin, Texas

You can also mess with the groove to create something like 8/8 time instead of 4/4 time.

If you turned the groove down to 3/3 and then used H on row C, you'd have created 6/8 time.

Harrisonburg, Virginia
Telerophon wrote:

If you turned the groove down to 3/3 and then used H on row C, you'd have created 6/8 time.

That is one tasty nugget of knowledge there. wink Thanks. heart

Austin, Texas

I hope I didn't just pull that out of my ass.

At the end of the day, though, using a tracker within a traditional music notation framework is trying to use apples like oranges.

If a traditional groove setting is 6/6, and most people treat a 16 step phrase like they are using two measures with eighth note subdivisions, then halving the groove halves the amount of time the computer spends on each step, meaning that you are now functionally using a phrase with sixteenth note subdivisions instead of eighth note subdivisions.

This is confusing to me too, so I hope it's making sense on some level, and I always encourage people to correct me if they think I'm wrong.

I just started playing with this the other day and habitually turning my groove down to 3/3, because I prefer to think about each phrase like one 4/4 measure with sixteenth note subdivisions when I'm tracking.

(I was a drummer first. Can you tell?)

Last edited by Telerophon (Aug 7, 2012 12:14 am)

Abandoned on Fire
Telerophon wrote:

I hope I didn't just pull that out of my ass.

At the end of the day, though, using a tracker within a traditional music notation framework is trying to use apples like oranges.

If a traditional groove setting is 6/6, and most people treat a 16 step phrase like they are using two measures with eighth note subdivisions, then halving the groove halves the amount of time the computer spends on each step, meaning that you are now functionally using a phrase with sixteenth note subdivisions instead of eighth note subdivisions.

This is confusing to me too, so I hope it's making sense on some level, and I always encourage people to correct me if they think I'm wrong.

My music ed stopped after highschool but I've always treated each "block" of tracker space as one measure.  In LSDJ that means most of the time each measure has 4 beats divided into 16ths.

If I'm trying to do a different time signature I usually place a strategic H command like everybody's said unless that doesn't give enough resolution.  Then I would treat each phrase as one beat divided into 64ths (right?) and place the needed number of beats in the chain screen.

Groove only comes into play when doing that ^^^ means I can get the tempo I want.

EDIT:  Also a drummer.  Or "percusionist" if ya nasty.

Last edited by egr (Aug 7, 2012 12:29 am)

Austin, Texas

Yeah, I didn't even realize that a single phrase/block with sixteen steps in LSDj wasn't equivalent to a 4/4 measure with 16th note subdivision until I started playing with groove settings to create swing, and I wasn't hearing it swing on my most syncopated bits.

Then, I was like "oh each step is an eighth note, whaaaat." neutral

Haha, "percussionists." I was always known for both being terrible, and being that one guy who played Keiko Abe traditional four-mallet grip instead of Burton or Musser grip. I miss Marimba now. Oh well.

▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐ ▐▐▌▌▐▌▌█▐
nanoloop manual wrote:

Nanoloop 1.3 is a stepsequencer, which means that a loop of 16 1/16 notes is played repeatedly while these notes can be edited in various respects like volume, pitch, etc. There are four channels, playing simultaneously.

just because the interface is a 4*4 matrix doesn't mean your music has to be 4/4

uhajdafdfdfa

the rows in lsdj by default are 16th notes surely?

i don't have lsdj right now handy but if anyone wants to confirm or unconfirm by counting beats that would be cool

i always put 4 kicks in a phrase if i was going for a 4x4 beat, don't you?

Gosford, Australia

they can be whatever kind of note you want depending on how you write the whole piece or how you group the phrases
i guess they ARE 16th notes technically, since there are 16 in total inside a phrase, which is sort of the equivalent of a bar but not really.

uhajdafdfdfa

yeah but if you are in 4/4 there is a certain number of beats in a certain amount of time per BPM you have chose. it's not "whatever you want"

oh well i guess it isn't important

Gosford, Australia

depending on the groove and tempo you use though you can kinda mess with it a bit... D/3/5/3 at 60bpm is like a slightly swung country waltz feel where four 16th steps in the sequencer are in the space of three 8th notes on paper

Gosford, Australia

btw that example is a really awful & impractical groove/tempo BUT tl;dr sequencer & sheet music terms are not always synonymous! smile

Last edited by Victory Road (Aug 7, 2012 3:20 pm)

NC in the US of America
Telerophon wrote:

I can't for the life of me figure out Paragon5.

Maybe it's because LSDj is the first tracker I've attempted to learn. I pretend I'm going to learn ModPlug and Famitracker, but…

Yeah. I've been wanting to fiddle around with Paragon5, but I can't even figure out how to get the keyboard working to enter notes (though I can navigate through screens and fields), or even how to load one of the included example songs (when I hit CTRL+R nothing shows). If somebody could come up with a quick starters guide, that'd be great (ellipsis)

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Oct 1, 2012 3:30 am)