Just wondering where you guys got your first gameboy for music. Was it already modded, or did you do it yourself? I'm wanting to get started in making music, and I'm trying to get an idea of where to get a gameboy.

Ontario, Canada

I got it out of my drawer and it was the one I'd had since I was 4 or 5 years old; in fact, it still is.  Except sometimes it's my brother's from when he was 6 or 7 years old.  No need to necessarily get anything modded, I still haven't, just get yourself a cart and go crazzzeee.

Warsaw, Poland

I bought mine from my friend. I gave him 3 beers tongue

Madison, Alabama

I have long since lost my childhood game boy. 

I bought a regular old grey game boy from Game Over video games in Austin, TX for my first "music making" game boy.

When you're starting out, there's no need for mods.  Just get a regular game boy and a cart and party.

NC in the US of America

Got mine from Wal-Mart for $12 when the Gameboy color was dying off. I composed my first tune in "Super Mario Bros. Deluxe". I didn't even know chiptune was a thing back then.

Now I don't use a Gameboy for music.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Aug 13, 2012 3:16 pm)

England

a shop

sweden
SketchMan3 wrote:

Got mine from Wal-Mart for $12 when the Gameboy color was dying off. I composed my first tune in "Super Mario Bros. Deluxe". I didn't even know chiptune was a thing back then.

Wait? You can compose music in Super Mario Bros Deluxe?

rochester, ny

i never had a gameboy when i was young (game gear!) so i bought my first gameboy maybe three years ago from a local game store. it was 25 bucks and came in the box with the manuals and a sweet zelda poster. shouldn't be hard to find a nearby gamestore!

or you could get one on ebay.

mods are not necessary in any way to start out.

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

I test drove lsdj on my nds. then when I got my cart I used my brother's gba sp. then my custom dmg by loomis was done, so I had that. But I mainly use my sps.
One from my brother, one from my friend, one from eBay.

NC in the US of America
nordloef wrote:
SketchMan3 wrote:

Wait? You can compose music in Super Mario Bros Deluxe?

It's very limited, and you don't get any kind of polyphony. Just a single Pulse channel. I felt like a boss, though.

When you beat the game, it causes a "Thank You" message with the "Princess is in THIS castle" theme playing over it whenever you restart the game. It also gives you the ability to edit this message, and compose your own title tune.

Riverside, CA

My dad bought me it in 3rd grade because I wouldn't shut up about those dang pokeymans.

vancouver, canada

my DMG i got when i was nine as a gift from my uncle when i visited Hong Kong.  it was sweet, he got me Dr. Mario and even a light boy too.

when i dug it out 2 years ago for chipmusic, the battery contacts were gunked up all to hell, i had to clean it pretty good with alcohol so that they would conduct properly.  also, the speaker stopped working.

i've recently modded it pretty thoroughly, but the speaker's still crapped out.  but i'll fix that in a couple short weeks though with a speaker replacement (thanks GoingHam!), and then this DMG will have come back full circle.

quite proud of the fact that my GB has actually been with me since childhood, instead of being craigslisted from some random dude.  also this means my music is automagaticically moooooreeee leeeegiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit than all y'alls

Austin, Texas
roboctopus wrote:

I bought a regular old grey game boy from Game Over video games in Austin, TX for my first "music making" game boy.

This is my main supplier now after Craigslist. I keep rolling in there every other week or so and trying to convince them to give me a job, because they've just opened new locations and they say that they are trying to expand into repair. No luck so far. hmm

I still use my actual childhood game boy, which had vertical lines and a bad speaker, both of which I repaired. After that, I added a pro-sound, a PS/2 port, a backlight, and a custom-painted case to it. There's something psychologically empowering about having repaired and heavily modified the once-broken game boy I've had for 20 years.

I agree that you don't need mods to start making music, I'm just a mediocre musician and enjoy modding. tongue

Harrisonburg, Virginia
Auxcide wrote:

I test drove lsdj on my nds.

Did you use lameboy on a flashcart or did you have a gba flashcart? Because that's how I tried to start using LSDJ and man was it terrible. Also had my DS Lite for Nitrotracker from when I got it for Christmas.

I had a bunch of Gameboys, but my GBC's speaker crapped out, I didn't have a headphone adapter for my SP, and everyone said the GBA sucked, so I just went on ebay and got a backlit/prosounded greenboy. Meh, not as drastic of mods as pitch-shift, etc., but I like it. :3 Hopefully I can get their (bought a greyboy to do 2xlsdj) innards moved into something less beat to shit. Yup.

Utah

My mom got a gameboy when it first came out because she loved Tetris so much. Then I got each iteration as they were released (pocket, color, advance, etc). Not sure where they all went to, so when I started making music, I used a Famicom flavored SP and a Super Gameboy for a little bit before my brother backlit and prosounded a black DMG for me. Mods are nice but not at all necessary.

Joliette, QC, Canada

Got a totally scrap play it loud dmg from a friend for TrippyH in 2007 but got my first gameboy (was a GBA) when I was 16 years old when I started to do some summerworks, undusted-it in 2007 when I got my first Nano 2.2 cart !