Brazil

My wife bought it to me.

But what if I want to play gigs and stuff. Would I need to mod it then? Also, would you recommend modding it yourself or buying it pre-modded?

Iowa

The first gameboy I used for LSDJ was my moms I'd played when I was little and decided to steal it from her

St. Louis

Bought it at a yard sale. Still has the 75cent sticker on it.

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]
Russellian wrote:
Auxcide wrote:

I test drove lsdj on my nds.

Did you use lameboy on a flashcart or did you have a gba flashcart? Because that's how I tried to start using LSDJ and man was it terrible. Also had my DS Lite for Nitrotracker from when I got it for Christmas.

I had a bunch of Gameboys, but my GBC's speaker crapped out, I didn't have a headphone adapter for my SP, and everyone said the GBA sucked, so I just went on ebay and got a backlit/prosounded greenboy. Meh, not as drastic of mods as pitch-shift, etc., but I like it. :3 Hopefully I can get their (bought a greyboy to do 2xlsdj) innards moved into something less beat to shit. Yup.

Lameboy on the DSone supercard.
Some little kinks and things but it was fine enough since I had the card already. I do miss being able to close the DS and the song would be in standby.

IL, US
cnaufel wrote:

But what if I want to play gigs and stuff. Would I need to mod it then? Also, would you recommend modding it yourself or buying it pre-modded?

not really needed for gigs either...backlight can be helpful, but you could always just use a gba sp live instead or use a nuby or light boy to keep it lit...or a desk lamp, doesnt really matter...the prosound can be helpful live mostly if you are using it with other audio hardware with much higher output levels (when i used a korg esx-1 with a dmg live, it was pretty much required, less important with my current setups)

orange county, CA

bought a yellow GBC from a friend of mine who didn't use it at all. i explained to him why i wanted it, and about writing music on it with LSDJ, and sold it to me for $5. smile

Harrisonburg, Virginia
Auxcide wrote:

Lameboy on the DSone supercard.
Some little kinks and things but it was fine enough since I had the card already. I do miss being able to close the DS and the song would be in standby.

Haha, true. And terrible was too strong a word. I just couldn't get the hang of it and it seemed to run a little sluggishly on my CycloDS.

São Paulo, Brazil

Bought in 1997, when Playtronic (Nintendo's official brazilian reseller) bankrupted and put all DMG's in stores for aprox. Us$ 25,00.

Los Angeles, CA

In the winter of 2010,  I bought on eBay a yellow play it loud and a lime green gbc,  complete with clear carrying case for the dmg,  all for $5 US.  No mods,  always have to leave a light on when I play live,  which is not that bad actually.

I don't use a gameboy.

São Paulo, Brazil
Heosphoros wrote:

I don't use a gameboy.

Ok.

PULSELOOPER wrote:
Heosphoros wrote:

I don't use a gameboy.

Ok.

Chiptune racism

Easton, PA, USA
cnaufel wrote:

modding is kinda like icing, cake is still cake without icing. D.i.y. if your capable it just feels good, pay if you can't, but still want mod...
Got my DMG in a junk shop, under piles of electronic junk.
"sure it works" the shop keep said.
Had to fix vertical lines though.

Ebay.

Louisiana

I actually found a gameboy color in a sewer back in the day when Pokemon Red and Blue was first released in the states. It was purple and actually had Pokemon Red in it, which was cool because I had Blue with my old silver pocket. I skate boarded this sewer all the time because it had really smooth badass walls that were perfect for skating and one day while try a new trick I fell on my face and as I looked around in shame, as if anyone was there to see me, I saw the gameboy, through the blood dripping from my forehead and over my eye, just laying there semi under a chunk of concrete. Got up a few minutes later and went a picked it up flipped the on switch, which took a few moment because I was use to the top switch of a pocket and it turned on a popped up "game freak" and loaded red perfectly. I was happy as fuck and still have this gameboy and it was the first one I ever loaded LSDJ on. As of now I use one of my many DMGs which have been modded to hell, also agree that there's really no need for mods except maybe a prosound if you plan to record or do live shows, or my PSP which Ive loaded custom firmware on and have lsdj running on an emu, not suggested btw.. The wav channel sucks on psp. But yea that is the story of my first lsdj gameboy, and how it was discovered and retired.