Ontario, Canada

Thanks pals, you've made me the happiest boy in the world.  Frostbyte: There is much in the works!  I'll be going everywhere! Also, drums!

I was looking forward to a new J. Arthur album and I sort of like it but not as much as the other ones and to me it is not nearly as memorable either. I hope I will like the next one more, but I think I will skip this one. Just my opinion.

Unsubscribe

I like it alot, but it feels like a bridge to a next level of Jakb... interesting to see where you end up!

Tacoma, WA

1-Upsmanship has just been 1-Up'ed!

Madison, Alabama

Now that I've had a chance to sit down and really listen to this, I gotta say I really, really dig this.  Pretty inspiring stuff!

Were most of the drums programmed on LSDJ?  There are some really nice thumpy flat kick drums.

[music nerd edit] I enjoy the "early days of stereo" left-right split mixing on "Okay".  Do a mono mix!

Last edited by roboctopus (Aug 21, 2012 8:46 pm)

rochester, ny

i've probably listened to this 50 times by now.

Review up: http://chiptuneblog.blogspot.com/2012/0 … rthur.html

Awesome job, man.

Last edited by Feryl (Aug 21, 2012 11:47 pm)

SMELLBOURNE BOSSTRALIA
Feryl wrote:

What are you, pitchfork?

Unsubscribe

Pitchfork only gives 7s.

NC in the US of America
Feryl wrote:

Awesome job, man.

Huh, the part about the lyrics got me thinking... and I realize... this kind of reminds me of a more serious They Might Be Giants.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Aug 22, 2012 2:42 am)

Madison, Alabama
SketchMan3 wrote:
Feryl wrote:

Awesome job, man.

Huh, the part about the lyrics got me thinking... and I realize... this kind of reminds me of a more serious They Might Be Giants.

TMBG have some pretty sad songs, really.  "Rocket to the Moon" sounds happy, but damn, that's a heavy song.

Melbourne, Australia

Seriously fucking love this dude. I know I said it earlier but I am realllllllllllllllllllllllly digging this.

New York
roboctopus wrote:
SketchMan3 wrote:

TMBG have some pretty sad songs, really.  "Destination Moon" sounds happy, but damn, that's a heavy song.

+1 to this. "They'll Need A Crane", "Hopeless Bleak Despair", "Careful What You Pack", "End of the Tour", they've got quite a few darker/sadder tracks

Austin, Texas

I've noticed myself that J. Arthur Keenes lyrics are incredibly good and well-written by all pop music standards, but they're not talked about as much because we are all busy gushing over the amazing songwriting and production. yikes

Montgomery, AL

I can't stop listening to "Southern Accent."  It's like 'Woven Nest' pt 2 to me.  F**king STELLAR jam section at the end!

Echoing what others are saying, I like how your recent stuff is moving from chip-laden to chip-infused.  Your songwriting, and lyricism, is unparallel to the entire chipscene.

Off the topic, didn't you say a while back you had done a  soundtrack to a short indie film?

Ontario, Canada

Yeah, I can understand if it's not for everyone, and I certainly think it's the best thing I've done, but I assumed not everyone would share my opinion.  I do think people disappointed by this EP will be into the next thing because it's not a whole lot like this stylistically, though it will build on it in many ways as far as recording technique, use of other instruments, etc.

Roboctopus: Thanks! All of the "drum kit" sounding percussion was done with LSDJ, mostly WAV channel and the key to making those sounds bigger was definitely as I said heavy compression/gating/EQ; I love the sound of LSDJ kits.  And yeah, that's exactly what I was going for with that mix, I have a bit of a love/hate thing with early stereo mixes, some of them are god awful and disorienting, but when they were done right some were just fantastic and used the stereo field in a much more adventurous and interesting way than today's mixes.  I've thought a lot about trying a mono mix just for the challenge, I think it would be a lot of fun, I'm much more into stereo mixes 90% of the time (we've got two ears, don't we?), but some mono mixes have such depth that you wouldn't want it any other way, Spector's stuff, Joe Meek's productions, etc.

Pieces of Eight: Yes, that should be coming out early-mid September, once I spend the time to properly mix it for release, it's basically done.

Thanks again to everyone!

EDIT: Almost forgot, thanks Feryl for the great write-up

Last edited by J. Arthur Keenes (Aug 22, 2012 6:15 pm)