matt's mind

thats gorgeous

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

Jesus man. Classy without the MIDI jacks. Great job! big_smile

Austria

thanks.. some more pics guys, really appreciate !!! smile

Detroit, MI
Timbob wrote:

I got a few questions about how I did those gameboys.
so:

I used Montana paint. From the mtn '94 range.
http://www.mtncolors.com/products/56-94

These are pretty bright coloured paints with a matte finish. Since the gameboy is painted from the inside, it's still smooth. I like these paints because they seem to stick on pretty much everything, but it's whatever paint you like best I guess.
I sprayed maybe 2 layers of colour first, and finished of with a clear coat, to prevent scratching when assembling the gameboy again.

I don't have a lot of under construction pics, sorry. But basically, what I did, was first start with taping the complete outside of the dmg (which is a bitch to do, but take your time, because it's easier then having to clean the outside later on.)

then I lay both halves down, and cover the bottom part with just a piece of paper. spraying basically just the top, and creating a gradient from blue to nothing.

the thing with painting from the inside is, you can't redo something when you went to far. If it was a normal gameboy painted from the outside, you could just paint it all blue, and layer the green on it later..

once you have one colour on, you can paint the bottom. If the first gradient is ok, you can basically just fill the rest.
One tip I can give, is to make the front part of the tape easy to peal. so you can check halfway if everything is covered. (screwholes and parts behind bits of upstanding plastic are hard to reach sometimes.)

Anyway, most of it is just knowing how to handle a spraycan. Long strokes from left to right, always start and stop spraying away from your subject. (to avoid drips)

You could practice with plastic containers for example.

that's about all I can think of right now tongue

I must say those are two of the most gorgeous DMGs I've ever seen. I have a serious obsession with gradients so that kinda blew my mind!

I've got a clear case as well with an inverted pink backlight that I was thinking about splatter painting but I wasn't sure if I'd like the outcome or not, but now that I've seen yours I wanna do a light pink to light blue gradient to accent with the backlight. I really hope you don't mind me biting off your idea a little bit! smile

CYBERP_NK wrote:
Timbob wrote:

I got a few questions about how I did those gameboys.
so:

I used Montana paint. From the mtn '94 range.
http://www.mtncolors.com/products/56-94

These are pretty bright coloured paints with a matte finish. Since the gameboy is painted from the inside, it's still smooth. I like these paints because they seem to stick on pretty much everything, but it's whatever paint you like best I guess.
I sprayed maybe 2 layers of colour first, and finished of with a clear coat, to prevent scratching when assembling the gameboy again.

I don't have a lot of under construction pics, sorry. But basically, what I did, was first start with taping the complete outside of the dmg (which is a bitch to do, but take your time, because it's easier then having to clean the outside later on.)

then I lay both halves down, and cover the bottom part with just a piece of paper. spraying basically just the top, and creating a gradient from blue to nothing.

the thing with painting from the inside is, you can't redo something when you went to far. If it was a normal gameboy painted from the outside, you could just paint it all blue, and layer the green on it later..

once you have one colour on, you can paint the bottom. If the first gradient is ok, you can basically just fill the rest.
One tip I can give, is to make the front part of the tape easy to peal. so you can check halfway if everything is covered. (screwholes and parts behind bits of upstanding plastic are hard to reach sometimes.)

Anyway, most of it is just knowing how to handle a spraycan. Long strokes from left to right, always start and stop spraying away from your subject. (to avoid drips)

You could practice with plastic containers for example.

that's about all I can think of right now tongue

I must say those are two of the most gorgeous DMGs I've ever seen. I have a serious obsession with gradients so that kinda blew my mind!

I've got a clear case as well with an inverted pink backlight that I was thinking about splatter painting but I wasn't sure if I'd like the outcome or not, but now that I've seen yours I wanna do a light pink to light blue gradient to accent with the backlight. I really hope you don't mind me biting off your idea a little bit! smile

Thanks!
Go for it man big_smile
Be sure to post the result here!

Austria

a more classic dmg for my collection:

Austin, Texas

Wow, the original grey case looks really good with the Play It Loud button and screen set.

I just finished a "classic boy" myself, because I had one of the last Classic Grey kitsch cases and wanted to keep it unpainted/stock.

Here's how it looks so far:

It's the first game boy I've put NES buttons in, and I've got to say, I really like the NES D-pad a lot. Remind me to vote "NES buttons" every time I end up on kitsch-bent. tongue

This might end up with a PCB mount pro-sound when I have money again, but other than that I basically intend to leave it stock. I'm happy with it. I'd also considered PIL Start/Select buttons, but I'm not going to rob my one PIL game boy of its buttons.

Last edited by Telerophon (Sep 6, 2012 5:03 pm)

Austria

yeah you are right, you gotta have at least one classic boy big_smile
looks really nice.. i am also looking for a broken NES controller to rip out the buttons as well, i love the "hollow" of the nes buttons (ultra grip) hehe

RyuX wrote:

a more classic dmg for my collection:

I'm going to try to do one like this too, but with a blue or teal backlight. Also, how did you get those dark grey start/select buttons?

Austria
Lavar wrote:

I'm going to try to do one like this too, but with a blue or teal backlight. Also, how did you get those dark grey start/select buttons?

Hey..
I have like tons of those buttons lying around. they are used in playitloud gameboys (clear, green, yellow, blue, etc.) that was a kind of special edition in the early years of the gameboy. they also have a dark grey screen protector (i dont like the light grey protectors at all).
yeah blue / teal will be nice, but i will install the teal backlight in my other project soon, so i just messed around with the orange one.
good luck!

Last edited by RyuX (Sep 6, 2012 5:22 pm)

RyuX wrote:
Lavar wrote:

Hey..
I have like tons of those buttons lying around. they are used in playitloud gameboys (clear, green, yellow, blue, etc.) that was a kind of special edition in the early years of the gameboy. they also have a dark grey screen protector (i dont like the light grey protectors at all).
yeah blue / teal will be nice, but i will install the teal backlight in my other project soon, so i just messed around with the orange one.
good luck!

I'm going to order the buttons from kitsch-bent, so those start/select buttons probably will have to wait untill I get my PIL

Austin, Texas

Yeah, currently the only way to get the darker start/select buttons is from whatever is left of a stock Play It Loud game boy.

A button set from kitsch is complete and includes a matched power switch, but no start/select buttons. The translucent silicone buttons will match lighter-colored button sets well, though.

matt's mind

i'll look at doing a run of PIL s/s buttons. 

or straight up black.  something dark though.

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

Black would be really nice. I'm always wishing I had some black s/s buttons.

Philadelphia

Black is always a good choice.

Bratislava, Slovakia

Last edited by martin_demsky (Sep 10, 2012 10:16 am)