I don't personally wanna see new chip gatherings or instruments. I wanna see all the good chip musicians get meaner. it's gotten too business casual and happy with all the "necessary" evils involved in getting heard on the internet. I don't wanna hear chip musicians emulate given electro mainstays. I want to hear chip musicians replace given electro mainstays through creativity. I don't want to hear chipmusic as a genre. I want to hear chipmusic used as an attack on other genres, on genre itself. if you fuckers want to prove you still have a scene you first need to prove you aren't just a revival. airy fairy VGM jazz doesn't cut it. you are perfectly placed to be a punk. don't act like someone a music critic would call punk. act like someone a policeman would call punk.

chipmusic as it stands is as big of an incestual, solipsist, automated backpatting machine as it can possibly be without coverage and it is your complacent idiot fault.

TSSBAY01

pretty much that cocksuckers

Gosford, Australia
cheapshot wrote:
Victory Road wrote:

dubmood done made me feel bad about making uptempo music :<

dubmood is damn right. Unce-laden typical upbeat chiptune annoys the hell outta me. Yes, there is a place for it, but not 8 out of 10 artists at an event like he mentions. I think he is going over board a bit with this estimation though. At least as far as Blip Tokyo and Cheapbeats events go wink

i was joking about feeling bad, btw, i don't think anyone should ever feel bad about making music that they enjoy making and listening to! smile
honestly, i don't even know what constitutes "uptempo" or "typical" chiptune. all i know is that i've yet to release a single track with a BPM slower than 180 :v

also i think the pokemon name annoys people for some reason

Last edited by Victory Road (Nov 5, 2012 12:25 am)

Tokyo, Japan

wahaha that's pretty fast man.

California
Victory Road wrote:

honestly, i don't even know what constitutes "uptempo" or "typical" chiptune. all i know is that i've yet to release a single track with a BPM slower than 180 :v

Does this count as a released song? http://soundcloud.com/midimachine/victo … ucking-win

As for the future, I guess if chip gets big there's opportunity for lots of cool stuff to happen 'n stuff, but I personally don't want it to get too big. Like, just a slightly-larger-than-medium size in between super-popular and underground.

zanzan has leading

Gosford, Australia
VCMG wrote:
Victory Road wrote:

Does this count as a released song? http://soundcloud.com/midimachine/victo … ucking-win

no that's just something i uploaded to the internet. a clear distinction, i know tongue

i'd love to make more subversive music and i feel that i'm completely capable of doing so, but i'd be nervous about putting it forward in an un-ironic way, though. <- "lol what a pussy, htfu nerd"

Last edited by Victory Road (Nov 5, 2012 12:33 am)

New York
Victory Road wrote:
VCMG wrote:

no that's just something i uploaded to the internet. a clear distinction, i know tongue

i'd love to make more subversive music and i feel that i'm completely capable of doing so, but i'd be nervous about putting it forward in an un-ironic way, though. <- "lol what a pussy, htfu nerd"

but...but you're so good at uptempo stuff. it's so...you. I mean "We Fucking Win" definitely proves that you CAN do other styles, as well as your stuff under midimachine, but i love the happy stuff you release. I don't think there's a ridiculous amount of that in chipmusic, in fact in the past couple years it's been mostly this dark, angry sound that a lot of people have embraced (at least as far as I've seen)

Milwaukee, WI

zanzan's post is gets the most thought provoking for the last bit.  Still thinking about it.

NC in the US of America
Victory Road wrote:

All this time I thought it was a reference to Ikari Warriors 2.

Los Angeles, CA

real los angeles chipthrash

Brunswick, GA USA
extreme zan-zan-zawa-veia wrote:

chipmusic as it stands is as big of an incestual, solipsist, automated backpatting machine as it can possibly be without coverage and it is your complacent idiot fault.

But how do you feel? smile

I hope you've been busy.

Melbourne, Australia

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Harrisonburg, Virginia
extreme zan-zan-zawa-veia wrote:

act like someone a policeman would call punk.

Why? Why can't you be original without resorting to being an asshole? (Not you you, I mean you as in anyone and everyone). You can be original without being a confrontational, "edgy," or pompous, avant-garde artiste.

You do realize people trying to sound "edgy" and acting like punks doesn't at all make you original, right? That's the mentally that spawned post-modernism. You know, the "incestual, solipsist, automated backpatting machine" that is the modern art world? It revolves around "attack[ing]...other genres, [or] genre itself." It tries to break definition. In fact, postmodernists (or "punks" as you would call them) would argue that genres, definitions, essence, etc. don't exist to being with. They believe that any attempt to place distinctions upon art is just a facade put by society upon whatever is being divided or labeled.

You see how stupid that gets? You get so much non-relatable, inter- or anti-genre bullshit out of it. Granted, that does push boundaries and good art does come out of the slurry of bullshit surrounding that aesthetic, but my point stands. Why do you need to be so antagonistic in your originality? You seem to lose sight of all of the great genre-bending or *GASP* in-genre originality and creativity. You're co focused on bashing the artists who just joined the scene and tend toward "EDM" or those who have been in the scene and either were already "EDM" or those who moved toward that broad 'genre' of electronic music.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is you seem to ignore the good art in the scene and instead focus on fighting definitions and trying to be a badass. You're on a chipmusic forum. You're not a badass or a punk or any better than any of the other artists who don't fit into your standards. Now, the great part about that last bit is that you can keep on doing what you want to, preaching those dead "punk" ideals and making great, genre-less music (because is is really good in my opinion). I just ask you don't insult everyone who doesn't fit your definition of "good," because it honestly doesn't make any sense (to me).

Last edited by Russellian (Nov 5, 2012 3:44 am)

Westfield, NJ
SketchMan3 wrote:
Victory Road wrote:

not being too familiar with pokemon, I think it's a great name.

but yeah I guess people who get the reference might think it's lame

but if your music is awesome who cares?

Gosford, Australia
Parallelis wrote:

but...but you're so good at uptempo stuff. it's so...you. I mean "We Fucking Win" definitely proves that you CAN do other styles, as well as your stuff under midimachine, but i love the happy stuff you release.

i mean more that if i was to play, say, any of my rancid meatflaps style material at a show then i would have to make the performance silly and dumb or it wouldn't feel right. like, i can't make raw and edgy music without delivering it behind this smug undertone of "lol nobody actually likes this kind of music amirite" because i don't have the confidence or passion in that style to be able to deliver it completely straight-faced. there's probably nothing inherently wrong with that either, but it's just how i feel re: zan-zan's comment.

actually, i play up the "silly and dumb" aspect of my v-road stuff live as well so maybe that's just reflective of my own insecurities as an artist tongue

SketchMan3 wrote:

nah i'm not that retro :<
although i'm totally claiming this from now on whenever someone questions my credibility, that'll show 'em! :v

what am i even saying