Brazil

I should stop being a dick too.

Marseille

Westfield, NJ
Subway Sonicbeat wrote:

I should stop being a dick too.

we could stop being dicks, but then we would be missing the point of "the scene that celebrates itself"

Unsubscribe

I'm really getting sick of that bullshit. If you are well liked, people will help promote your shit. If its good, people will help promote your shit. If its good and you are well liked, you are probably Chibi-tech.

Its like people self reflexively be dicks so they can EMPEROR HAS NO CLOTHES their way to a understanding  why they aren't chip popular, when in reality the different between chip popular and unpopular is probably like 300 downloads. If you see a thread where everyone is praising something that you think is crap, JUST IGNORE IT. You aren't saving the world by ringing the church bell and shining the truth on its mediocrity to the world, you are being a dicktroll and that's all people take away from your criticism.

When a scene is this small, it's built on friendships and if you are an artist with any kind of backbone you will know yourself if you are good and not need to do a nightly werewolf vacillation between ON NO WHY WONT THEY LOVE ME, and THEY REFUSE TO RECOGNIZE MY UNHERALDED GENIUS, I SHALL DESTROY ALL THAT THEY LOVE.

I think you are missing the point if you feel that there is any social reward in being a dick, and no amount of pointing out that occasionally untalented people are propped up by their friends can justify that behavior. All it does is does is drive people away.

Westfield, NJ
herr_prof wrote:

I'm really getting sick of that bullshit. If you are well liked, people will help promote your shit. If its good, people will help promote your shit. If its good and you are well liked, you are probably Chibi-tech.

Its like people self reflexively be dicks so they can EMPEROR HAS NO CLOTHES their way to a understanding  why they aren't chip popular, when in reality the different between chip popular and unpopular is probably like 300 downloads. If you see a thread where everyone is praising something that you think is crap, JUST IGNORE IT. You aren't saving the world by ringing the church bell and shining the truth on its mediocrity to the world, you are being a dicktroll and that's all people take away from your criticism.

When a scene is this small, it's built on friendships and if you are an artist with any kind of backbone you will know yourself if you are good and not need to do a nightly werewolf vacillation between ON NO WHY WONT THEY LOVE ME, and THEY REFUSE TO RECOGNIZE MY UNHERALDED GENIUS, I SHALL DESTROY ALL THAT THEY LOVE.

I think you are missing the point if you feel that there is any social reward in being a dick, and no amount of pointing out that occasionally untalented people are propped up by their friends can justify that behavior. All it does is does is drive people away.

I can never tell if you are being serious or not, but I guess now you are definitely being serious. I was just playing devil's advocate but while I agree with you 100%, Subway Sonicbeat still has a point. You make one negative comment about something on this here forum (which has been proven time and time again to *not* represent even a fraction of this scene as a whole) and it's like the village is coming after you with pitchforks and torches. Sure, nobody likes a dick, but if we can't have enough of a backbone to take criticism in stride, then that's pretty lame. Too many times I've gotten the impression that if I get into an argument about something around here, I'm gonna be getting the stink eye at shows for months. Why is that? Can't we argue and disagree and still be friends? Do we always have to agree on everything? I think if someone is being a dick, sure, that's a problem, but if people are being branded as a "dick" just because they have a different opinion, then that's a bigger problem.

tl;dr: heckling someone on stage = dick. saying you don't like moe moe kyunstep on a forum thread = not a dick.

p.s. I love moe moe kyunstep, just using that as an example.

Unsubscribe

I am always serious. On the internet no one really cares what you think. Indifference and keeping a thread from jumping to 9 pages is the best way to indicate you don't like it. The one thing that TCTD taught me is that you dont have to drink every drop of water coming out the fire hose.

Unsubscribe

Also: if you dont like thinned skin people, dont hang out in a scene full of teenagers, pervo.

Harrisonburg, Virginia
herr_prof wrote:

Also: if you dont like thinned skin people, dont hang out in a scene full of teenagers, pervo.

Or kids who were probably the nerdy/bullied kids in school and are now grown-ups with internet fame (that's not an insult). Or teenagers.

SketchMan3 wrote:

Haha... somebody should release an album on TMNT Talking Turtle sound strips or something. smile...

D D D Detroit, not the burbs
thebitman wrote:

Seeing as some of the Southeastern states of the US (Alabama, Georgia, most of Tennessee, Florida, Mississippi, and Louisiana) still have no idea of what chip music is, there is lots of ground to tread. The Bible Belt culture that is so popular lends itself more towards rock, country, ratchet, and pop. It is rare that I play a DJ set and play dubstep (including Skrillex).

I've managed to get a regular thing going, playing a chip DJ set and playing my own material. Mostly house parties. However, I'm fortunate to be living near a huge college campus with decent musical exposure. I think that chip will not catch on so long as the South remains the South (except in college towns). For a hundred years the people here have idolized sung words, guitar playing, and (mis)translated words written in red. The reception to electronic music in general is poor due to religious undertones ("electronic music = rave = drugs = ticket to hell" sort of ideology) so the only artists we have seen in Alabama are Bassnectar and Pretty Lights. Currently I am breaking into the local jazz scene, booking some gigs and stuff. That's how I have been incorporating my chip stuff for the public, and so far it is well received amongst the scene regulars.

I think that Lexington and Atlanta would be good hubs for chip in the South, seeing as they are bigger cities, one being accessible, the other having Solarbear and his amazing BRKfest-rearing festival organization skills. Colleges are near/in both towns, and have healthy bar scenes (unlike Birmingham, where police are everywhere due to murders). Other than those two cities I don't see chip thriving very much at all around here.

DUDE.  With all due respek mr. esc, the michigan scene has grown quite a bit since ive last seen your face.  With the piko piko group michigan has at least 3 gigs a month in south eastish michigan alone.

Even with McCarthy's being gone many venues have opened up due to the piko guys perseverance.

When kkrusty and saskrotch came into town last both of the gigs we played had great turnouts and plenty of beer.  So wont you come back to michigan?  You havnt been shot yet!

Tokyo, Japan
herr_prof wrote:

This made me snork milk out of my nose.

San Diego, CA

sorry

Last edited by spacetownsavior (Nov 15, 2012 4:15 pm)

Gosford, Australia

wait i'm confused, is that not how it works? :v

okay but seriously i think i know who you're referring to and i gotta respectfully disagree. i don't think there's even a single person here who's actually like that. we all have our reasons for sporadic releases and shows, and sometimes it's fun to be a bit of a helmet (for me, at least). but the self-appreciative cool kid circlejerk doesn't really exist on cm.o

Gosford, Australia

(or maybe it does and i just don't see it because i'm just another cog in the wheel :<)

uhajdafdfdfa

yeah making friends and talking to like minded people and learning about things that interest you really sucks doesn't it

Freiburg, Germany

This talk about fame and gigs and the scene rising to prevalence is confusing me. I don't have any gigs or fame, nor do I really plan to. I just enjoy making music darnit, and learning about the ins and outs and fiddling with stuff. I feel welcome here and I don't let anyone take this away from me.