Sweeeeeeden

This kind of existential discussion is one the most badly flogged dead horses of the chip music community. There's just nothing worth saying that hasn't been said already.

Faerlight, I don't know if you're a troll, but I'm leaning in that direction. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like Washington state is a breeding ground for trolls...

DC
nitro2k01 wrote:

Faerlight, I don't know if you're a troll, but I'm leaning in that direction. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like Washington state is a breeding ground for trolls...

he's new, nitro. really new. cut him some slack.

DC

it all depends on you own views. some say it's its own genre because it uses a signature sound, and some say it's a medium just like guitar. there's jazz guitar, meat guitar, country guitar, etc. all guitar, different genres.

in my personal opinion, it's a medium. But that's always up for debate, and this is one of those debates that will never. ever. stop.

vancouver, canada
nitro2k01 wrote:

This kind of existential discussion is one the most badly flogged dead horses of the chip music community. There's just nothing worth saying that hasn't been said already.

maybe what this site needs is an Microsoft Word Clippy-esque character that pops up based on the content of the topic title/message

"Hi, it looks like you're creating a topic about the definition of chipmusic. this topic has beaten to death numerous times.  Would you like to continue? ( N / N )"

nitro2k01 wrote:

Faerlight, I don't know if you're a troll, but I'm leaning in that direction.

And I'm sort of leaning in the direction of being new to this place. My first topic was about getting into LSDJ, my second topic was which gameboy I should get, my third was a general discussion I started because I sincerely wanted to hear the general opinion of this place. What constitutes this "attitude" I apparently have is beyond me. I guess I'll just lurk-more until my 64m card arrives from kitsch-bent.

Chicago IL

oh jesus christ

Playboy Man-Baby
NationalBroadcastNetwork wrote:
danimal cannon wrote:

Holy shit we just needed a goddamn dictionary the whole time.

I've solved the riddle of chiptune. You're welcome, everyone. *holds out hand* NOBEL PRIZE, PLEASE!!!

I bet you could use that technique to begin an essay, too.

California

Yes, please lurk more. All the information you were asking for in your topics has been covered at least twice over already.

If this discussion ceases for all time we will never hear from the guy who has the new insight which opens our minds to whole other worlds of possibilities.

This happens in things as objective as maths and science all the time; the chances of it happening with music conceptualization are high, and slight alterations to the question can shed new light.

For me, for now, the chipflip definition trinity seems the best we have.

At first glance I thought

tempsoundsolutions wrote:

it doesnt matter...

if you want to shoehorn them into a classification instead of a feeling, then you're making art under completely plastic pretenses

had it nailed, but then

none of this makes any difference to the actual sounds I'm trying to make, it's more of a fun text based mini game to play while the other part of my brain works out how to finish those tracks it's working on.

Last edited by om (Nov 17, 2012 9:23 pm)

Gosford, Australia

how can you ask this question differently though?

if chipmusic as a medium is heading north at 80mph and chipmusic as a genre is heading south at 75mph ...?

mainz, grmny.

Should I take over chewing for you guys for a minute? Have a break.

Victory Road wrote:

how can you ask this question differently though?

if chipmusic as a medium is heading north at 80mph and chipmusic as a genre is heading south at 75mph ...?

that was in response to nitro2k01 - who posted 8 examples.

The point I really wanted to make is that knowledge isn't a static thing, and if people are discouraged from questioning current thinking improving it will be more difficult.

Who cares what you call it, go write some.
Music is music...
A rose by any other name...

p sure it's just mario

hope this helps

Last edited by Zomvor (Apr 2, 2016 2:14 pm)

TSSBAY01

'I've never started a career. Music is only a journey of mine.'
                                                         -Doris Norton

Last edited by tempsoundsolutions (Nov 18, 2012 11:21 am)