Minneapolis

Jazz piano- 8 years. 2 years of piano theory before that. Choir from the time I could talk, practically.

Zan-zan-zawa-butt wrote:

fifteen years of singing and practising keyboard without tuition and as many playing bad jrpgs for the sake of listening to their soundtracks big_smile

also listening very closely to 70s progressive rock over and over again until their ideas replaced the ones i accidentally learned from there being too much britpop and trance on the radio

It almost bothers me how similar this is to mine.  Just add a few years of guitar, some dabbling in a plethora of other instruments and replace "britpop" and "trance" with showtunes and American pop.

Kiel, Germany

One bad punk band, two death metal bands, lots of singing, screaming and guitar-playing (which I was pretty good at for a while, back when I my favourite bands were Children of Bodom and Keep of Kalessin ^w^).
Right now on a music school, learning classical singing, piano and music theory.

lolusa
Princess wrote:

edit: also lots of shoegaze / sonic youth, punk listening

I forgot mentioning my plunge into sonic youth.
That was a long year.

York, Yorkshire

Jesus, where do I start?   Was very much into the C64 demo scene back in the day (as a fan, rather than taking part), got into house and subsequently rave in the late 80s, early 90s,  but was quickly subverted over to heavy metal by a friend at school.  Joined my first band as a drummer in 92 until 93 when we recorded our first demo at Old Dairy Studios in York.  Then got back into rave/techno in 93 and started knocking out my own stuff via ProTracker on the Amiga.  Did a couple of albums worth of stuff over the next 2 years (filled a C90 demo tape) before going quiet for a couple of years.  Met up with an old college mate in 98 (who I had taught to track back in 94) and decided to become a double act.  I was working in Pc pro-audio at the time, so had access to NFR hardware and software (which was nice), so started to bang out new electronic stuff with Cubase, Rebirth, Reaktor etc.  Got a local  singer/songwriter called Joycey to drop some vocals on a track, she also used to be a rocker smile.  Decided to blend rock/grunge guitars with the electronic stuff and Reborn was created. Gigged and recorded with Reborn solidly up till 2004 when we decided to have a break (it's hard work you know!).

Reborn have got together again a few times over the last few years, but still haven't finished the embryonic (and totally awesome) debut album.   This is tricky as the other guy in the band recently became a dad, so securing studio time is tricky.   Live, however, is impossible.  You can't just have a guitarist and a vocalist on stage,

Getting back into 8bit has given a new direction for us to go in.   It means Joycey and I can continue to work on material and perform it live in a way which will still remain interesting and exciting, so rather than picking up a guitar I'll be picking up a Gameboy and bashing away on my C64 and SammichSID.  That's the plan anyway.

Thanks for reading smile

EDIT : Oh, that's me on the right there cool

Last edited by BitPop (Mar 11, 2010 9:58 am)

4mat wrote:

(badly self-taught) piano, bass in a band for 5 years, guitar, 20 years working in games industry though first half of that was chip. (amiga/gb/snes/megadrive)

wow! 4mat gb, snes, and genesis music? what games did you do the music for?

Oh, and over the past year I've sort of taught myself very very basic piano skills. I took guitar for a few years, sucked at it and learned nothing about music.

I basically taught myself everything I know through trial and error.

arlen: http://ihearthesoundofwaves.blogspot.co … my-cv.html

Brunswick, GA USA

Multi-instrumentalist leaning towards keys and synths, classically taught pianist, strongly influenced by fusion jazz and progressive rock, former Berklee College of Music student.

Learned to program synths and sequencers before learning to track.

Cambridge, MA

Been taking piano lessons for 9 years, I started messing on keyboards myself about 5 years ago. I've self taught myself guitar (electric and acoustic) for about 4-5 years and Bass for about 3 months. I did some simple tracker stuff about 3 years ago for a game, but haven't touched chiptunes again until now.
I started a band 4-5 months ago. Been jamming in bands for about 3 years. I can't sing to save my life (D=), but I write complete songs with lyrics and multiple parts as practice about once every two weeks.

@ 4mat
Dude, I totally have Blades of Steel. I remember my friend and I laughing about some part in the soundtrack we found funny. big_smile Good stuff.

Plymouth, UK

Piano (Keyboard) - Lessons for 3 years, self taught after
Guitar - Lessons for 4 years, self taught after
Drums - I know a little, all self taught
Bass - Self taught from guitar

New York, New York

I had sung in a chorus in middle school. I practiced guitar for a short time. I had practiced computer music in a few schools. I have made ambient music, improvisation, techno, experimental music and tape collage.

DE TRT

Trumpet for 4 years - Lessons and band class
Trombone for 1 months - For what I thought I was using for RPM (ended up not using it)
Keyboard/Piano for 3 years - Self taught
Guitar for 5 years - Self taught, with less than a month of classical lessons.
Drums (for how ever long I've had them, 3 years?) - Self taught
Bass - Self taught from guitar.

arlen wrote:

I basically taught myself everything I know through trial and error.

Now I experiment with all types of music.

Last edited by Pompei (Mar 10, 2010 11:23 pm)

Brazil

I learned the Guitar when I was 12, then I learned Bass, then I stole a Keyboard and learned pretty bad. I used to play all Marilyn Manson songs in guitar. Then I learned the bass from Joy Division. The keys too.

Indonesia

i'm a drummer in old skool hc band. and in progress learning guitar chord !! lol

I played trumpet in late elementary school/middle school, around that time I started writing a lot of bizarre general midi music that i sadly lost. I will never write music that pure and inspired ever again... it was written by someone with no knowledge of music theory and no solid musical background. High school came and I bought a guitar, put the trumpet away, and played in my room and never got any better. Sophomore year I played bass/did vocals in a metalcore band that sucked and went nowhere, and junior year was occupied by bass and vocal duties in a black metal band that generated a lot of interest and had tons of potential, but went nowhere due to the other members being lazy/traditionalistic and our lack of a drummer. Then I made a fucking godawful techno album in FL Studio that I was super proud of at the time, was introduced to trackers by a friend named Hooblah, wrote a chip EP and thought I was the first person to ever do it, was introduced to this group of people, and the rest is history.

Cool story bro.

England

Guitar since I was about 11, bass from 16, some 2 years formal jazz training and theory, plenty of bands (rock, punk, funk, flamenco-y stuff) also started using trackers at about 14 when I got an Amiga. blaghggggggggggggh.