Chicago IL

yeh right

United Kingdom

World population + Internet = Got to expect some shit.

On the plus side of people uploading tracks or 'shitty music'. It enables them to receive criticism from a wide range of people, as opposed to immediate contacts that may glaze them with praise,

I think encouraging the masses will continue to make music will yield us new talent, minds, hands, eyes, and ears.

Music is relative. Some of what J.S. Bach wrote is absolutely atrocious and is never played live by an ensemble except to demonstrate that sometimes masters stray from their "true sound" too. Some of us praise Bach, others don't care for him, some people don't even like classical music. And guess what? Even if you don't fall under that umbrella you are capable of making good music. What sounds good now may be hard to listen to for future generations, and vice versa.

However, I have noticed that the best song writers and composers have a very firm knowledge of what sounds they can create and how they can use them. If you have another artist's source files for a song (especially for LSDJ or Famitracker) you know exactly what I mean.

washington

I'm probably the worst offender in this genre. I upload shit to upload shit, and every time I don't make sales, I get pissed at myself for allowing myself to write/release shit. Also, I've found that even if you apply pages of musical theory to a song, it still doesn't make it a good song. (I'm primarily a brass player, so a lot of this isn't going to apply to y'all.) I'm in high school, and my band director always says something along the lines of 'Do you know why 90% of people get bored by classical music? Because we aren't making it interesting.' And every time he says that, I buy into it, and try to feel what the composer wanted it to sound like. I think that can be used here, because, you shouldn't JUST write music. Like I said, even if you have oodles of musical theory under your belt, you have to create an atmosphere or a feeling to the song. I know it's hard with lofi hardware, or even modern electronic hardware. Use dynamic contrast, or tension and resolution, or anything else that has been used for thousands of years of music before us with our 8-bit fantastico. That's the secret to writing good music. But actually, it's not a secret at all. It's just we're too ignorant and content to change. Sorry, I've found that I can only say things when I rant.

TLDNR: play it like you mean it, and it'll be worthwile. Oh, and if someone awesome gives you criticism, take it AND apply it.

edit: reading this the day after I wrote it, the entire thing could probably be condensed into a sentence or two and not miss any content.

Last edited by basspuddle (Feb 26, 2013 11:07 pm)

Los Angeles
basspuddle wrote:

I'm probably the worst offender in this genre. I upload shit to upload shit, and every time I don't make sales, I get pissed at myself for allowing myself to write/release shit.

Wait, you sell your music? Hmm that's a good idea!

Playboy Man-Baby
Victory Road wrote:
Invisible Robot Hands wrote:

Lately I've felt like the only way we can keep chipmusic out of the "MYF1STLSD1XJ WIP" abyss is to keep pushing how we use the technology in conjunction with traditional music.

y'know i was thinking this (at least in regards to my own music) for like the last 3 or 4 months before i went to square sounds
but then i went to square sounds :v
it's not that there wasn't a lot of awesome fusion of tech and tradition there (pselodux, hunz, omodaka etc.), it's just that the stuff which was purely chip was engaging enough to stand out alongside everything else.

i think there are also a lot of people who are thinking the same as you but with the roles of technology and tradition reversed. it kinda depends on which side of tradition/tech you start from.

more chip n vocal stuff would be nice though!

I mean, I know there's still some purely chip stuff that can hold its own, which is good. I just think that there isn't enough of it to keep chipmusic going for too much longer without help from things like unique integration of tech and tradition.

Gosford, Australia

I mean, I know there's still some purely chip stuff that can hold its own, which is good. I just think that there isn't enough of it to keep chipmusic going for too much longer without help from things like unique integration of tech and tradition.

man i was really surprised by the level of quality even at the open mic, which was mostly dudes with gameboys
there was also chip & vocals and also chip & flute though so i guess that's a thing!
i guess i just feel like the medium has so much ground yet to cover, in terms of both composition & instrumentation. exciting times!

Playboy Man-Baby
Victory Road wrote:

man i was really surprised by the level of quality even at the open mic, which was mostly dudes with gameboys
there was also chip & vocals and also chip & flute though so i guess that's a thing!
i guess i just feel like the medium has so much ground yet to cover, in terms of both composition & instrumentation. exciting times!

Fo' sho'. My band uses LSDJ as an automated synth when we do post-rockish and new-wave stuff. We use the LSDJ keyboard sometimes, too. The DMG is run through a bunch of pedals and takes over for guitar on some songs.

Last edited by Invisible Robot Hands (Feb 26, 2013 10:26 am)

Holland

I am extremely proud of what I release, and do not consider it 'noise', am I the 10% now? \o/ Hail.

Last edited by xylo (Feb 26, 2013 1:05 pm)

Holland

Every music has it's shit, although chiptunes are easy accessible to create without having to buy expensive instruments and stuff. And that doesn't even say it all, because there's a lot of shit being made on physical instruments as well.

Last edited by xylo (Feb 26, 2013 1:06 pm)

Gosford, Australia
xylo wrote:

I am extremely proud of what I release, and do not consider it 'noise', am I the 10% now? \o/ Hail.

dude, definitely. i write music for myself first, others second. i am my own favourite artist to listen to.

Tokyo, Japan
xylo wrote:

I want this on a tshirt.

Front : Pink speech bubble "am I the 10% now? /pink speech bubble

Back :  \o/

Holland
Lazerbeat wrote:
xylo wrote:

I want this on a tshirt.

big_smile

Edinburgh
Lazerbeat wrote:
xylo wrote:

I want this on a tshirt.

I like it.

Playboy Man-Baby
Comptroller wrote:

Nailed it

I feel like I  should have something to say about this, but really I don't. Yes there's low quality stuff. Try your best, hold out for the good stuff, support good artists and labels, and be particular about your own collection. With things Moe Moe Kyunstep and some of the stuff on Ubiktune that we are making progress as a genre, things are moving forward slowly.