Auburn, WA, US

Okay, maybe I'm way out of line here but what I was thinking about a week or so ago was this:

A chip wiki

A wiki would be an easy way to organize tons of information about the whole of the genre including software, hardware, techniques, history...
I found (this wiki) but, I don't know if I'm judging too quickly, but it looks like a non-comprehensive piece of shit wiki. I'm sure the members here could create a very successful and comprehensive chip wiki if they wanted to. But, you know, that sounds like a lot of work...

In my mind, it sounds like a more effective solution than the OP (no offense, I like the site).

Montreal, Canada

@ stancoolness

God.. close that pointless "website" down already. It serves no purpose except gather up about 0.2% of the links people already can find, better organized, on other more popular websites made by people who know more than you. We get it, the chip music bandwagon recently happened to roll through your hamlet so now you decided to hit the road and join the circus. Your attitude is also shit. So meh...

Last edited by n00bstar (Mar 27, 2013 6:52 am)

hardcore, Australia

There was chipaedia, but I didn't bother renewing the domain so maybe nitro will put it back under a different name or something?

Auburn, WA, US

March 10th, 2011

8-Bit-Rex wrote:
BetaSynapse wrote:

I actually miss the patch book because I would see a clever way to get a sound, then mutate and apply that technique to everything else to create totally new sounds. But yeah, LSDJ is a lot of experimentation really.

I'd be all about it now that I've reached more of a plateau in my learnin'.
....and It would be awesome to get one up again (possibly on the slowly expanding Chipapedia)

...hell I'd even spearhead that shit.

iveseenbetterdays.mp3

BOSTON8BIT, MA

Wait a second guys - Last night I assumed that you had beaten this person into submission and they removed the DBZ reference from the site.

No it's just super small, are you fucking serious? It took me 5 visits to even notice, and that's what this thread is about? HA

Edit: Okay, I'm going to actually say something useful to not add to the hyperbole:

The reason that well-meaning efforts like this fail around here is because the level of excitement that you're feeling as a new member of the community does not align with how jaded you can become as a chipmusic artist. A lot of people that have been here a lot longer than myself have seen things come and go that either drag away HUGE amounts of past material or HUGE amounts of information. Every time that happens, it is terrible and awful. Starting something like this (if it became successful/utilized) would likely become a job-level effort for you, and if you give up on it when the next shiny thing arises it hurts everyone. It's easy to give up on these things because they are not paying you money, rather you are likely paying to keep them afloat after awhile.

More importantly, these things are destined to fail unless there's some way to garner input from the community. If you put most of it together ahead of time, what's going to happen is a few people are going to hardy-har about your tiny (EDIT: Giant rather? Come on, man!) dragon ball z character and you'll become jaded. Jaded is the nirvana state of chipmusic. A better way to do this is to abandon weebly, start fresh, and brainstorm with some people which will hopefully prevent some of these things from happening. Hope you can appreciate the motivational speech and this is probably the wrong forum for nostalgia even though that's a bit silly.

Last edited by Active Knowledge (Mar 27, 2013 2:36 pm)

Sweeeeeeden
Active Knowledge wrote:

Wait a second guys - Last night I assumed that you had beaten this person into submission and they removed the DBZ reference from the site.

No it's just super small, are you fucking serious? It took me 5 visits to even notice, and that's what this thread is about? HA

Yep, he was apparently being beaten into submission. I don't know if you saw how the site looked just a day or two ago, but half the banner was a big picture of Vegeta saying "over 9000 gameboys" over a backdrop of different GB models or something like that.

BOSTON8BIT, MA
nitro2k01 wrote:

I don't know if you saw how the site looked just a day or two ago, but half the banner was a big picture of Vegeta saying "over 9000 gameboys" over a backdrop of different GB models or something like that.

Okay, well that's just ridiculous

Chicago

This topic

Last edited by stancoolness (Sep 19, 2013 3:16 am)

Chicago

was thought

Chicago

way too much into.

Unsubscribe

Curating a website full of links is fucking TOUGH BUSINESS. Glad to see everyone is here to lend a helping hand.

Chicago

Alright, let me address a few things here, guys. So just hear me out, this won't take long.
This website (the chip music hub), is a class project. The Dragon Ball Z reference was just a joke between me and a friend, no big deal. It's gone now, so this site looks more "chiptuney," if you will.
Secondly, this is my site, after all. I am going to make it the way I want it to be. So, as sincerely and kindly as I can, I ask that you please stop telling me A) what is wrong with it, and B) what I can do to make it better. If this site turns out looking like total trash, that's my problem.
Lastly, I started this thread with one single purpose: to find out about more sites I can link to the hub. And I've gotten a lot, thanks to all of you that have given me links. But I never asked for constructive critisism, only links. I have taken into consideration some of the real constructive critisism I've received on this thread, but I really only want links. So thanks again to everyone that's been a good sport and played along with the original intent of this forum thread. And sorry to the rest of you, my site is most likely not going to be good enough to you. But I just want a good project to present in class. Then I'll probably be done, aside from adding links.
I also apologize for myself being a bad sport about the feedback I've gotten, so I'm sorry. But then again, I didn't ask for your opinions. Kindly keep them to yourselves.

~Stan

Unsubscribe

The moral center of this thread is a moving target.

Florianópolis-SC, Brasil

Glad you realized that.

Chicago IL
Active Knowledge wrote:
nitro2k01 wrote:

I don't know if you saw how the site looked just a day or two ago, but half the banner was a big picture of Vegeta saying "over 9000 gameboys" over a backdrop of different GB models or something like that.

Okay, well that's just ridiculous

never forget

Chicago

Impressive move, Sas...

The dude snapped a screenie of the site during its first week, for future reference

or maybe he just Wayback Machined that shizzle

Either way, well played

Last edited by stancoolness (Sep 19, 2013 3:21 am)