ohio gozaimasu
DeerPresident wrote:

"If they were/weren't (x) they wouldn't be where they are now"

DeerPresident wrote:

it's not their sound or luck that caused success

If I were deaf I wouldn't be making chiptune, but that doesn't mean my not-deafness caused me to make chiptune.

ohio gozaimasu

Srsly tho, Amandaguchi fucking rocked it

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
defiantsystems wrote:

Lots of white knighting going on here. I think Anamanaguchi will be fine without you guys coming to their defense from hypothetical bitterness. Seriously I'm not sure what some people are responding to.

It's not White Knighting if you don't take them back your castle and consummate it.

South Korea
Cooshinator wrote:

If I were deaf I wouldn't be making chiptune, but that doesn't mean my not-deafness caused me to make chiptune.

This is brilliant! Thank you, Cooshinator, you made my day big_smile
I think we should all benefit from chip music potentially becoming a 'thing', I'm starting a semi-religious, chip-infused, mallcore, cover-band called IBleepForYou, profit, break away from those fans and become 'underground' again, sell-out again, repeat, repeat, repeat, until I become rich and famous enough to retire and start my own chipmusic forum to lament the death of the genre.

Last edited by DeerPresident (Jun 19, 2013 2:08 am)

Los Angeles, CA

I do not understand why everyone thinks that because Anamanaguchi is famous now that chiptune is suddenly going to blow up. I think a sizable amount of their fanbase are Anamanaguchi fans, not chiptune fans. There is a difference, because Anamanaguchi has been smart enough to network and to not just limit themselves to being labeled as "another chiptune act".

At the last show they played in LA, 8bitLA was trying to hand out flyers for a fundraiser show we're doing for our next 2 day chiptune festival here in January, and people in line wanted absolutely nothing to do with it. I've had this discussion before with people who do not understand how probably 1000 people can show up at an Anamanaguchi gig out here yet our chiptune festival only draws in 120 (regular shows are much worse than that). The amount of talent in LA is fucking astounding, and some huge name artists reside out here and regularly play shows. If these 1000 kids were chiptune fans, they'd certainly know who Trash80 was.

But I just think it's THEIR sound that resonates with people. I disagree that if it was just Pete up there with just a Nintendo rocking out to "Everybody Sleeps", they would have a massive following. It is all the elements of their sound, plus their hardwork, determination and fucking brilliant networking. And I give so many props to them because I fucking love their music and have since 2006. But I really do not think that Chiptune is suddenly going to have a surge in popularity because of one band making it big.

Fuck though, I'd love to be proven wrong, that's a wave I'm sure we'd all love to ride.

Unsubscribe

Who does it hurt to pretend? This thread has more twists than a chubby checker concert.

California

i saw a macbook behind luke. it isnt chiptoon anymore

AuburnKitsune wrote:

Did you happen to miss the nes in the middle of them?

California
Spaceman wrote:
AuburnKitsune wrote:

Did you happen to miss the nes in the middle of them?

did you happen to miss my sarcasm? tongue

Los Angeles, CA

I thought that "Endless Fantasy" was one of the Milkytracker songs, and figured that the NES was there for show. I mean, the power LED is flashing on and off...

Last edited by Wizwars (Jun 19, 2013 3:46 am)

Douglas, Wyoming
xylo wrote:
BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

seems like its time to put the old "but chiptune is too niche so i shouldnt try" chestnut to bed at the very least. hard work, talent and a good sound win out every single time. pete and co are an inspiration.

Yeah, only Anamanaguchi is a pretty open sort of chiptune. A lot of chiptunes style still are a niche. But I guess Anamanaguchi did a good job.

Yeah but I've heard even some SID type stuff making it into the mainlight and a lot of chip influence in a lot of bands and EDM

Douglas, Wyoming

I think one of the main reasons is their promotion and good communication with fans. When a band stays in touch with their fans as closely as Anamanaguchi does it helps to gain strong long lasting support. That coupled with the sonic blend and overall catchiness and uniqueness of their sound makes them very memorable. You can usually tell a song is by them just by listening to it, that's how you know an artist has done a good job making their sound and style unique to them.

anatamogatchi r cute heart

Matthew Joseph Payne
xiwi wrote:

Also, anyone else notice how precariously mounted those LED Projector Cubes (capitalization totally appropriate) are?

They're clamped on.

nɐ˙ɯoɔ˙ʎǝupʎs

ALWAYS BIG LOVE FOR THE MIGHTY GUUUCH!

Wizwars wrote:

I thought that "Endless Fantasy" was one of the Milkytracker songs, and figured that the NES was there for show. I mean, the power LED is flashing on and off...

Could have been the "no cartridge" blink and acted just for show. Also, it is possible that they are using SOME means of NES-MIDI sync, not probably but the software and hardware options do exist (rather obscure though considering the Guch typically uses straight FTM playback and Nerdtracker).

Anamanaguchi is what it is because they are on top their game in general. Professionalism, social accessibility, songwriting and sound design, live performances, passion for their art, and generally wanting to share their joy with others even if it means starving or paying for things out of their own pocket. If anyone were to try and better themselves in any of these ways as an artist they would see some sort of increase in exposure. There is always room to grow, and the Anamana-Amtrak express is showing no signs of stopping their growth.

Last edited by thebitman (Jun 19, 2013 4:20 am)