Gosford, Australia

yo, what's with the 64kb limit on MIDI entries?

To keep it from being totally abused by people like me.
(i've tried making puke7 up the limit, but he refuses!)

Last edited by Strobe (Jul 9, 2013 10:32 am)

Gosford, Australia

huh okay, maybe i'll just have to submit it to wild chips
which is shit because it's a MIDI file ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Or optimize it down to 64kB!
I've used MIDI for Wildchip before, no problems with that!

Gosford, Australia

i don't think i can get it from 610kb to 64 haha

Brunswick, GA USA

If it is a MIDI and you are entering as Wild you can use real synths of your choice instead of General MIDI junk, take some time to make a good rearrange.

Most clutter in MIDI is continuous controller (CC) data, if you aren't doing volume swells and such you can delete almost all of it.

Last edited by chunter (Jul 9, 2013 4:23 pm)

Gosford, Australia

oh, yeah i need all the CC i'm using. volume automation, patch switches and ridiculous 2-octave pitchbends
and if i rearrange it to make it not sound like a MIDI then i feel like i might as well not submit it at all, y'know?

Brunswick, GA USA

There's no such thing as "sounds like MIDI," I think you mean "sounds like chipmusic" so it won't get downvoted... That's all in your choice of instrument.

NC in the US of America

Yeah... midi doesn't have a characteristic sound, technically, although anyone who has only used roland gm/gs would say otherwise.

Strobe wrote:

To keep it from being totally abused by people like me.
(i've tried making puke7 up the limit, but he refuses!)

That sounds like a challenge to me >:) Victory Road vs. Strobe: GO! big_smile

I really hope this all works out. I'm looking forward to seeing the results. VR, maybe you can enter the 600s+k in wildchip and make another for midi with the size limit in mind? I don't know. Make it 9/10ths shorter?

Gosford, Australia
chunter wrote:

There's no such thing as "sounds like MIDI," I think you mean "sounds like chipmusic" so it won't get downvoted... That's all in your choice of instrument.

okay how about "sounds like microsoft gm wavetable synthesizer" or "sounds like roland gm/gs", which is almost always what people mean when they say "sounds like MIDI".

downvotes have nothing to do with it. for me, the entire point of making it .mid is to create sounds that seem like they have no business being in a .mid file. if i change the instrumentation then it totally undermines the goals i've set. like, why make chip music at all if my attitude is going to be "man i can just replace all the sounds with 'real synths'"? i don't get it!

Brunswick, GA USA

Replace with chipmusic existentialist bitching from closed threads.

Gosford, Australia

haha, fair enough!
i mean, that's just my reason for wanting it to sound a certain way. at least i don't need 10 pages for that :v

barf

three days left to go heart! if you're interested in joining, now is the time!!!

Last edited by kfaraday (Jul 26, 2013 10:13 pm)

barf

deadline's been extended! ends next saturday~ hurry up!