TSSBAY01

anybody know who this person is? they're uploading full releases from many artists and netlabels. didnt ask permission from me and i noticed a full release of mine uploaded to their channel. i dont think this kind of thing is very cool when absolutely no effort is made to contact the artist.

if there are some of you who may feel the same way, you might want to contact this user and ask them to remove your work. just a friendly heads up about this, and i say something because this user is going nuts with their uploads, tons of releases in 3 months and im sure not a single person was asked for permission.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SoundWaveTrax

I'm quite familiar with that channel. It introduced me to a few nice pieces of work. I couldn't tell you who it is, though. I can only vouch for one particular channel dedicated to sharing chip music, and it's not this one.

aw i love this channel though! sad join us now and share the chiptunes chippers you'll be free chip-pers you'll be, free-ee-ee-ee

turkey

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/11722 … ermission/

tss said : "you shouldn't care"

: /

NC in the US of America

Hey, a dude can have a change of heart ;p

TSSBAY01

as i said, its a big difference if someone puts one or two songs of yours up. especially if they're a fan, and if they get in touch with you, thats the considerate thing to do. if they can easily get in contact with you and they put an entire album, or in this case, nearly an entire netlabel's discography online, thats a bit much and a big difference. its really the lack of correspondence and the frequency of putting that much stuff up that i have a problem with.

United Kingdom

I THINK I remember seeing a post or a YouTube comment saying it was 2xAA.

ghastlyglitter wrote:

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/11722 … ermission/

tss said : "you shouldn't care"

: /

haha

Nottingham, UK

Politely ask them to link to your releases, gain an extra source of fans. Youtube is the no.1 music discovery place in the world. It's a good idea to put your own music up there if you want control.

Last edited by ForaBrokenEarth (Oct 4, 2013 12:39 pm)

TSSBAY01

Hello,

I will remove your content right away. You are wrong about one thing though. Most artists that saw their content on this channel were OK with this, some were actually happy about it. It's not like I make any money from this, I don't monetize on the videos (ads are disabled) and I do this for non-profit purposes only. Also, most of the music I upload is released under a Creative Commons license, which means (most of the time) that you are free to distribute it as long as the artist is credited.

The reason I upload music without permission is that most artists that release this kind of music are OK with it since the type of copyright license allows it, and other times the music is already available for streaming in other places, so no harm is actually done.

seems pretty lazy to just assume people are ok with it instead of at least trying to make a connection with the artist and use some social skills, maybe make a new friend. this scene is small and people are easily approachable when it comes to this kind of thing, so why do people sometimes find it so hard to show support in a way that doesnt shortchange someone else work? even going out of their way to make more work for themselves in this case? seems pretty lazy if you ask me. maybe he feels like if he asked the artists they would say no. either way, somethings messed up here.

i honestly didnt have that big of a problem with it, but the thing that turned me off is seeing full releases beyond of course being assumptive of the artists wishes in uploading someone's entire album in a scene where you can easily contact people. if the guy would have contacted me, i certainly wouldnt have shot him down. the response was as you can see deflecting any responsibility and telling me im wrong and that no harm is actually done isnt really up to him to say. i am going to have to go see my doctor now due to the psychological damage this situation has caused me.

Boise, ID

Well, no need to overreact about it. Judging by your tone of writing it seems like you DO have a big problem with it and would even if it was only a couple of your songs.
Honestly, I think he has a point especially with the CC licensing. Most of the chip albums I see released are free to download and use as long as it's not commercial.
I think he's doing a favor for the community. What damage has been done here..?

Last edited by ShintarouMusic (Oct 4, 2013 8:40 pm)

IL, US
ShintarouMusic wrote:

Well, no need to overreact about it. Judging by your tone of writing it seems like you DO have a big problem with it and would even if it was only a couple of your songs.
Honestly, I think he has a point especially with the CC licensing. Most of the chip albums I see released are free to download and use as long as it's not commercial.
I think he's doing a favor for the community. What damage has been done here..?

unless theyve used an ND CC license... making a video file of an audio track is considered a derivative work...and i've always wondered if even an NC license would allow for upload to a commercial site like YouTube, even if the YouTube uploader isn't making any money themselves off of it the company is

TSSBAY01

im certainly not overreacting, this is more of a matter of bringing it to attention that this channel is pretty active with uploading a lot of people's full works at his discretion, and if others have a problem with it they might want to look into it themselves.

it wasnt just a couple of songs, i wouldnt have said anything if it were. it was a full release (with a bunch of bonus material that isnt available for streaming, which was the first stuff i noticed) as well as material i released on compilations. probably in the area of 40 songs total. if someone puts an entire album of yours on youtube, and you arent really all that into youtube anymore because of the changes they've made and dont wish to support that site, that isnt exactly fair for your work to be represented on youtube, most likely without your consent or even without your knowing.

its really not a big deal to me, im flattered he would go through the effort. if i had that big of a problem with it, i would have flagged his videos and straight up put him on blast, this was a heads up to others who dont wish to support youtube and lazyness it fosters. all the videos on that channel were recently uploaded. it looks like this dude uploaded starpilot's entire discography up there most recently and starpilot was talking about quitting so i cant help but think he isnt making any effort to ask around with people. i think it would do this guy some good to try and make contact with the artists instead of the other way around.

as far as i am concerned the cc licenses mostly serve as a statement of intent. regardless of the technical legal issues if youve put a "copyleft" license on your song and you want to punish someone for sharing it on youtube Thats kind of a dick move. if the video has just got audio and no footage it isnt really a derivative work any more than a mp3 to ogg transcode would be as far as im concerned

theres a strange double standard in this scene where we are all totally cool with things provided we are on the right end of it
* watching music videos on youtube  - OK
* making youtube video with chiptune and a frame showing the name of the chiptune - NOT OK
* literally making an entire song out of samples from a snes game - OK
* using the snare of a covox song in the intro to a song on a commercial cd - NOT OK
* guy uses that miles davis picture and gets sued - OUTRAGE
* crystal castles use that religion picture for a tshirt - SUE THEM
* pirating ableton (worth approx $500) - OK
* pirating lsdj (worth approx $1) or chipsounds (worth approx i dunno) - NOT OK
the list goes on

Seattle, WA US

yeah why would we want anybody to listen to our music

IL, US
sandneil wrote:

as far as i am concerned the cc licenses mostly serve as a statement of intent. regardless of the technical legal issues if youve put a "copyleft" license on your song and you want to punish someone for sharing it on youtube Thats kind of a dick move. if the video has just got audio and no footage it isnt really a derivative work any more than a mp3 to ogg transcode would be as far as im concerned

the law disagrees... http://mollykleinman.com/2008/10/20/cc- … rivatives/

article wrote:

In general, the kinds of adaptations that the No Derivatives license prohibits match the definition of derivative works in the Copyright Act, but there is an exception: Songs used in video. No Derivatives licenses use the word “Adaptation” instead of the legal term “derivative work,” and include this language in the definition of “Adaptation”:

For the avoidance of doubt, where the Work is a musical work, performance or phonogram, the synchronization of the Work in timed-relation with a moving image (“synching”) will be considered an Adaptation for the purpose of this License.

Using an unaltered song in the soundtrack to a video does not make the video a derivative work, because the song itself has not been recast, transformed, or adapted in any way. However, the language above extends the definition of adaptation to include “synchronization of [music] with a moving image,” which means that as far as No Derivatives licenses are concerned, videos that use an ND-licensed song violate the terms of the license.