TSSBAY01

THE POINT, YOU ENTIRELY MISS IT

Boise, ID

sheesh...

It's pretty clear now that some people are supportive of it, others aren't. Your individual opinions are probably not going to change, and that's okay. But this whole thread is going nowhere and just getting people upset. If you want your music off his page just ask him and he'll take it down. There are bigger problems than this in the world! tongue

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
sandneil wrote:
jefftheworld wrote:

If Cyrstal Castles had sampled just a snare drum and then sequenced their own drum patterns, yeah that would totally have been fine. That's not what happened, though. Maybe do the research before you get all snarky about it. tongue

i know what happened & its irrelevant "how much" they used. unless you hate also all artists who used the amen break in their songs? no, you dont, because soul music isnt Your Scene.

likewise you dont hate all people who uploads songs to youtube. only when its Your Songs.  and maybe you even think copyright law is really cool, until nintendo tries to get Your Flash Carts banned in the EU, until the guy who made the miles davis comp gets sued by miles davis' photographer

im just t rying to highlight the victim complex that chip music has. isnt it a little naive to suppose that "we" are all on the right side of the law all the time & that it only serves to protect us from the CRIMINALS intent on destroying our scene & PARASITES who exist only to profit from our hard work?

what is the reasoning here? you want a monopoly on distribution of your own music? people can only get it DIRECT FROM THE SOURCE? why? what benefit is there to have things taken off youtube

theres an album on temp sounds solutions bandcamp called "remixes volume 12". is there not some contradiction to make twelve albums of bootleg remixes and then cry wolf when someone puts your freely released music on youtube?

I don't have any problem with people uploading or remixing my own music, I personally think that stuff is cool.

What I don't like is that we're moving towards a culture that seems to feel entitled to all the rights of a piece of music. TSS did not release under CC and he has every right to choose to do so.

People shouldn't get mad that he has chosen to manage his music right and his youtube presence himself.

As for "sampling" culture, I think there is a big difference in how much of the original is used and the context. If you compare "Amen, Brother" to any given jungle song there's not a lot of creative cross-over. You can't easily argue that Gregory Coleman's original authorship or intent is being ripped off.

Some of Crystal Castle's samples in the controversy were total rip-offs (Insecticon vs Lo-bat) while the Covox sample is admittedly more grey. Unlike the Amen Break, the beat from Covox is mostly unaltered and is used in a similar work.

You claim that I have some sort of victim complex here? I argue the opposite. Soon after I started making music, I stopped nearly all my pirating. Software, music, what-have-you. Unless it's totally impossible to acquire otherwise, I pay for the IP that I use. So do I support people who illegally upload music to youtube? No, why would I?

I very much believe in the copyleft, I very much believe in the new paradigm of the digital market, but I don't believe in forcing it on those who do not wish to conform. That's just shitty.

TL;DR:  I believe that people aught to respect an author's rights to their own content. Sure, copyleft works for me and I'll always throw up torrents and share and modify my music around as much as possible (see my last release, "Do Copy This Floppy") but why force your beliefs on someone and tread on their rights in doing so?

TSSBAY01

if people are getting upset, thats unfortunate. but its hard to not be at least disappointed due to how easy it is to connect with people nowadays. it looks like you guys are getting wound up over the legal aspects of it when its more of  matter of being courteous. this guy was a dick about it but still removed the songs and im sure he will for anyone who approaches him, so its whatever.

when i started releasing and distributing music, it was a matter of having to write people who ran labels letters, corresponding a bit, getting someone's phone number to open up an easier dialog with them to find out how to get a hold of people in bands. thats just how it went, and it was like this for many people and certainly still is for people who dont have internet access in other countries. there was incentive to help labels with distribution and things were of course much more simple, because you had to wait and see. there was no youtube or internet beyond lynx and gopher and newsgroups and i guess webcrawler if you were really lucky and you relied on getting in touch with people the old fashioned way, through the phone or mail, it took time. theres no excuse to not take the steps nowadays when they are as easy to do as they are.

if anybody would go through the effort put into that channel in a scene this small and not contact the artists, then its more of a matter of making that guy's intentions known to this community so that theres no transparency, im not saying that its sneaky or something. but either way it isnt exactly working with people when it could benefit everybody and i wanted to put this guy on blast after his less than courteous messages so people can see that he isnt concerned with the artist, he's concerned with the success of his youtube channel. the 'wait and see' ethic that i experienced back in my earlier years is put into effect here in reverse because its a matter of whether or not someone protests in this streaming-driven environment that artists have no choice but to coexist in on the internet.

as far as me releasing remixes is concerned, i contact people and let em know my intent, thats the first thing i do because i dont want to piss anybody off. sorry, i didnt get in touch with rdj. im pretty sure he will be ok with it consider he never wanted to cop to analord to begin with. ive done video game remixes for more than ten years now and if i could contact those guys, i would. several of these composers have contacted me and encouraged me to continue at it, ive even worked with some of them as a result of that correspondence too. the big difference is that i have established myself by being forthcoming and enjoyed getting in touch with people over the years and done a smattering of work, much less remixes. either way, remixes are very different from taking someone's audio, putting a static image into vegas and uploading it and calling it good.

jefftheworld wrote:
sandneil wrote:

...the victim complex that chip music has...

...You claim that I have some sort of victim complex here?...

no, but if you assume ""chip music"" refers to yourself personally maybe you have some other sort of complex ;D

jefftheworld wrote:

...forcing it on those who do not wish to conform ... force your beliefs on someone...

its interesting who you percieve to be doing this in these situations

tempsoundsolutions wrote:

...putting a static image into vegas and uploading it and calling it good...

i dont think hes claiming to have put any creative effort into this. it's just sharing / redistributing the music he likes. kind of like slsk wink

tempsoundsolutions wrote:

...in a scene this small...

the chip scene is special and deserves special treatment

Los Angeles, CA
sandneil wrote:

the chip scene is special and deserves special treatment

Seems like a grand t-shirt idea!

sandneil wrote:
jefftheworld wrote:

...forcing it on those who do not wish to conform ... force your beliefs on someone...

its interesting who you percieve to be doing this in these situations

This actually strikes at the heart of the issue on a philosophical level. The idea of the initiation of force against other people as being wrong is a valid moral concept, because it's consistent and safe. So the key to solving this problem is, which party is *initiating* the use of force against another party. Is it force to pirate works? Is it force to upload works without permission? Is it force to refuse to remove said works when asked? Is it force to respond to any of these things aggressively?

It's a matter of who started it. We must find where the first trigger was pulled, then we can determine the moral case.

Last edited by GREATSWORD (Oct 5, 2013 7:59 pm)

7,000 plus videos and 3 playlists? That's my only complaint.

Arad, Romania

tempsoundsolutions When you mentioned you contacted other artists I had a feeling you made a topic here.

Like I told you, I didn't think uploading the content was a problem (still don't) since CC licenses (most of the time) allow distribution. I also credited the artists, I even posted links to their pages and stuff (when I was able to find them). Your music does seem to be released under a CC license. The album you mentioned linked me (link is at the bottom of the page) to a CC license page from Bandcamp. When you uploaded this album on Bandcamp you chose that particular license (maybe unintentionally).

Having read some of the replies here I decided to delete most of the videos on the channel (it will take a while).

shitbird wrote:

7,000 plus videos and 3 playlists? That's my only complaint.

It's one thing lemmings does a lot better.

At the very least this thread has been some killer publicity for soundwave trax's channel.

Last edited by Idio (Oct 5, 2013 9:08 pm)

qb wrote:

Having read some of the replies here I decided to delete most of the videos on the channel (it will take a while).

NICE !!! chipscene prevails in the face of evil again

Oh look it's this thread again

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
qb wrote:

Wouldn't it be easier to just contact the artists? I think a good deal of musicians would be fine with their music being posted and it would save you time and effort.

barf

just take down the ones by people who are enough of a pedantic crybaby to complain

and then never give them press again

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
kfaraday wrote:

just take down the ones by people who are enough of a pedantic crybaby to complain

and then never give them press again

Seriously, why do you need to insult people who chose a different route for their music management than you do?

TSS isn't saying "Nobody should ever allow anyone to share their music on youtube", he's saying that he doesn't want it happening to people who don't want their music shared. Contacting the author's ensures this. Really though, he just wanted his own music taken down. Are you TSS' biggest fan, why do you care?

Why does nobody on this forum have any desire to just accept the opposite point of view? TSS owns TSS' music, he can make his own decisions and they don't affect your musical career at all.

Last edited by jefftheworld (Oct 5, 2013 9:32 pm)

TSSBAY01
qb wrote:

tempsoundsolutions When you mentioned you contacted other artists I had a feeling you made a topic here.

Like I told you, I didn't think uploading the content was a problem (still don't) since CC licenses (most of the time) allow distribution. I also credited the artists, I even posted links to their pages and stuff (when I was able to find them). Your music does seem to be released under a CC license. The album you mentioned linked me (link is at the bottom of the page) to a CC license page from Bandcamp. When you uploaded this album on Bandcamp you chose that particular license (maybe unintentionally).

you're going about things the most roughshod way that you can. privatize the vids, ask artists permission, and after you get the ok, then and only then will you be doing the artists a service and not doing yourself a disservice. its simple. donno what is wrong with you where taking that step seems so foreign.

if you have a philosophy that you are entitled to do what you feel is best for the artists because of attribution, perhaps consider their wishes more than your own and contact them now and in the future. anybody who wishes to do what you are trying to do should do the same and i think you would be surprised with how many artists would be willing to work with you. your lack of communication all across the board and correspondence as well as how you handle this moving forward is more than enough evidence that you are making more work for yourself and that is really where my problems with this come from. these artists deserve a say when it is more than easy to contact them.