Arad, Romania
jefftheworld wrote:
qb wrote:

Having read some of the replies here I decided to delete most of the videos on the channel (it will take a while).

Wouldn't it be easier to just contact the artists? I think a good deal of musicians would be fine with their music being posted and it would save you time and effort.

Not really. I used to do this on a previous channel and most\a lot of them didn't reply back. I didn't think it would be a problem given the nature of the license and since I don't do this for profit. I also did not modify the songs in any way; the purpose of the each video was the song itself.

From now on I will make sure not to share your music with my friends\acquaintances since it might bother you. /sarcasm

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
qb wrote:
jefftheworld wrote:

Wouldn't it be easier to just contact the artists? I think a good deal of musicians would be fine with their music being posted and it would save you time and effort.

Not really. I used to do this on a previous channel and most\a lot of them didn't reply back. I didn't think it would be a problem given the nature of the license and since I don't do this for profit. I also did not modify the songs in any way; the purpose of the each video was the song itself.

From now on I will make sure not to share your music with my friends\acquaintances since it might bother you. /sarcasm

If you read any of my posts you'll see I have nothing against people sharing my music. I'm only against sharing music of artists who do not wish their music to be shared.

"Come for the music. Stay for the drama."
-Chipmusic.org

Arad, Romania

That wasn't directed towards you. It was directed towards people that think sharing\distributing is not OK while their copyright license says the opposite.

TSSBAY01

see, you are clearly way too entitled for your own good, and beyond the wishes of the artists.

jefftheworld wrote:

Why does nobody on this forum have any desire to just accept the opposite point of view? TSS owns TSS' music, he can make his own decisions and they don't affect your musical career at all.

and the opposite point of view: soundwave trax "owns" his youtube channel, he can make his own decisions and they dont affect anyone really apart from helping people discover new chiptunes & get more into it

any desire to "just accept" it? probably not, you clearly believe strongly in something else

"just accept the opposite point of view" is an odd thing to say and you wouldnt have said it if you had already done it yourself. did you mean "just accept it, i'm right" or did you mean "let's stop talking about it"? either way begging for people to prematurely end a discussion which you were happily partaking in a few posts ago is another cool chipscene trope smile

tempsoundsolutions wrote:

see, you are clearly way too entitled for your own good, and beyond the wishes of the artists.

in future it'd be advisable for you to use "all rights reserved" to make your wishes as an artist (that your music isnt shared) clear

IL, US
qb wrote:

That wasn't directed towards you. It was directed towards people that think sharing\distributing is not OK while their copyright license says the opposite.

did you read the material i linked re:cc licenses? important to remember that it'd be best to ask anyone in general, but you may even have issues should they have used an nc or nd license...
also, if people aren;t responding when you ask if you can do something, that probably means they don't want you to do it and/or your email got caught by their spam filter...

guh

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
sandneil wrote:
jefftheworld wrote:

Why does nobody on this forum have any desire to just accept the opposite point of view? TSS owns TSS' music, he can make his own decisions and they don't affect your musical career at all.

and the opposite point of view: soundwave trax "owns" his youtube channel, he can make his own decisions and they dont affect anyone really apart from helping people discover new chiptunes & get more into it

any desire to "just accept" it? probably not, you clearly believe strongly in something else

"just accept the opposite point of view" is an odd thing to say and you wouldnt have said it if you had already done it yourself. did you mean "just accept it, i'm right" or did you mean "let's stop talking about it"? either way begging for people to prematurely end a discussion which you were happily partaking in a few posts ago is another cool chipscene trope smile

I think a channel like that is great, I totally accept it. Had he uploaded my music I would have not only accepted it but been happy about it.

I'm not telling people to end the discussion, I'm saying that both points of view are valid and therefor trying to find a singular "correct" answer is going to be fruitless. Morever, being rude about it like kfaraday was isn't going to help.

If your argument is that TSS simply shouldn't be allowed to control the rights to his music, then I'll tell you that I simply disagree and you're correct in saying I'll probably have a hard time ever accepting that.

EDIT: And yes, obviously soundwave owns his channel but that's not what's being argued over. He can autonomously make any decisions that pertains to his own IP or IP that he is licensed to use. What's being argued here is that TSS' IP was not properly licensed for soundwave's use.

Last edited by jefftheworld (Oct 5, 2013 9:49 pm)

IL, US
sandneil wrote:
tempsoundsolutions wrote:

in future it'd be advisable for you to use "all rights reserved" to make your wishes as an artist (that your music isnt shared) clear

ok, well about this scenario: artist is fine with you sharing mp3s with friends, burning cds for others, etc as long as no money is involved.. said artist is anti-capitalist and dislikes corporations profiting off ad revenue generated by their stuff being streamed on their site (or just wants some element of control over how their work is experienced and finds youtube or whatever to below their quality standards).. they shouldnt have to use all rights reserved as that would potentially discourage the type of sharing they want to happen

Last edited by e.s.c. (Oct 5, 2013 9:50 pm)

TSSBAY01

thanks for the reasonable replies here to those of you who cared to be constructive about it. hopefully something can be gleaned here that will avoid any future disagreements regarding appropriation of people's creative output.

Arad, Romania
e.s.c. wrote:
qb wrote:

did you read the material i linked re:cc licenses? important to remember that it'd be best to ask anyone in general, but you may even have issues should they have used an nc or nd license...
also, if people aren;t responding when you ask if you can do something, that probably means they don't want you to do it and/or your email got caught by their spam filter...

TSS's license looked like this:
Most people that release their music for free use this type of CC license.

IL, US

ok, and all the other artists and comps? like that cdk one? you need to pay attention to license details. technically all of yours are in violation just by not having the creative commons logo attached, but thats just being nitpicky

jefftheworld wrote:

If your argument is that TSS simply shouldn't be allowed to control the rights to his music, then I'll tell you that I simply disagree and you're correct in saying I'll probably have a hard time ever accepting that.

well, that is what i really think. but in this case the music was supposedly cc-licensed and i think its just unpleasant to publically shame someone for misunderstanding some legal detail of a license which is usually used to imply "go ahead, share my music". & in my other posts i tried to tie that into a long running trend in the chip community of getting wildly overexcited about minor copyright law infractions while disregarding copyright law whenever it suits "us". but introspection is banned at cmo so instead we just threw legal terminology (which you continue to do) at each other until the poor guy apologised.

whatever! enjoy all the masses of extra bandcamp $$$s you'll get now this parasite has been taken care of wink

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
sandneil wrote:

whatever! enjoy all the masses of extra bandcamp $$$s you'll get now this parasite has been taken care of wink

I don't have a bandcamp, all my music is free.

EDIT: ^__~

Last edited by jefftheworld (Oct 5, 2013 9:58 pm)