Buenos Aires, Argentina

DefleMask is intended to be playable on the actual hardware, so, in part, that's not possible. However, I added a GLOBAL PLAY command, that it will play any running instances of DefleMask in the Operating System. An opened DefleMask instance is a console, two Game Boys, a Genesis and a PC Engine, etc.
So you have to use 2 or more DefleMask and select any chip you want in all of them, make a coordinated track, and press Ctrl+Enter to hear it side by side.

Last edited by Delek (Aug 15, 2013 9:52 pm)

NC in the US of America

Hey, you know... Maks (this is what I call the Maskman who looks down upon all) is pretty cool, but kind of creeps me out a bit sometimes. Workspace environment mood is kind of important to me, and that guy staring it me kind of kills it. Do you think you could have some kind of option to modify the look of him, or to hide it if one so desires? Maybe have an alternate mood-flipped skin where he's like a smirking Japanese tanuki mask or something?

Or if not that, if you made Maks a bit smaller you might even be able to increase the user-friendliness of the interface, i.e. have the buttons big enough to have actual words on them to make it easier to tell what they do, or just have it less cramped to make it easier to work on other things like instrument creation or what-not.

Other than that, I'm actually one of the people who really likes the way things are set up. Being able to modify the skin (besides Maks) is a plus - so I could for example make it look less pillow-gradient shaded and more pixel-art stylish or what-have-you - and I like how you have the note, effect, and volume columns spaced out to make it less confusing. Good job with that. I always have trouble with like, milkytracker, openmpt, famitracker, where it's merely color-coded. I like things to be segmented off.

I mean, Maks is a cool dude, but he just gives off a weird vibe that makes it difficult for me (and others) to work. I love the customization options so far. It'd be great to be able to give it just that little extra touch.

Edit: also is there a way to change the background color of the pattern editor?

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Aug 23, 2013 6:46 pm)

Buenos Aires, Argentina

The pattern editor uses a texture, not a simple color value. Editing the  png will do the job.

About the logo, it can be disabled from the intro (edit config.ini), but not from the main window. It's the program logo, it should be somewhere in the interface, maybe I will reduce its size only if I need more space.

The lack of "actual words" in the buttons is on purpose, an homenage to Fast Tracker.

NC in the US of America
Delek wrote:

The pattern editor uses a texture, not a simple color value. Editing the  png will do the job.

About the logo, it can be disabled from the intro (edit config.ini), but not from the main window. It's the program logo, it should be somewhere in the interface, maybe I will reduce its size only if I need more space.

The lack of "actual words" in the buttons is on purpose, an homenage to Fast Tracker.

I don't recall ever seeing a program logo in the actual interface of a program, but I can understand why you'd want to keep it there. I'm sure I could probably get used to it if I buckle down and just try maybe. Cosmetics aren't as important as function anyway. smile

I hope you didn't take the "actual words" thing offensively. I'm aware that it is a traditional thing, and I'm probably the only person who has trouble with it, lol.

Thanks for taking my comments into consideration. smile

Buenos Aires, Argentina
SketchMan3 wrote:

I don't recall ever seeing a program logo in the actual interface of a program, but I can understand why you'd want to keep it there. I'm sure I could probably get used to it if I buckle down and just try maybe. Cosmetics aren't as important as function anyway. smile

There are lot of examples of programs with its logo all around the interface, but I can show to you some examples in music trackers softwares. smile

FastTracker

FamiTracker

Renoise

MuseTracker

I will reduce its size a little or even add an option to remove it from the interface. But I think that the space between the pattern matrix and the menu buttons will be very empty removing it.

Last edited by Delek (Aug 26, 2013 3:49 pm)

Jelly Stone park, MD USA

How'bout a 'Blonde' solution: Smiley Face sticker on you monitor?
smile Yogi

NC in the US of America

FastTrackerII: It's basically acting as the title bar, displaying the NAME of the application (title bars weren't a big thing back then)
Famitracker: Logo is in the title-bar, with the name of the application displayed under the
Renoise: Logo is in the title-bar, with the name of the application at the bottom
MuseTracker: appears to be just a generic "Window" icon with the title of the tracker once again.

I guess I should have clarified that by logo i meant logo-graphic. That's the difference I'm seeing. All the others just use text.

But like I said, it's no real biggie. As you have shown me, most trackers have a large unused space for app identification purposes, and I think it is a neat tradition. Don't worry about it wink I can get used to it and over it, hehe. Not trying to tread on your artistic vision here.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Aug 26, 2013 6:52 pm)

Buenos Aires, Argentina

Famitracker's logo is in the middle of the image, Renoise's logo is in the upper right part of the screen, MuseTracker's logo is just that "MUSE TRACKER" text in the upper right part of the Window, it is just really big.
I think that you only saw the Window bar. xD

yogi wrote:

smile Yogi

LOL!, or hexedit deflemask.exe to remove the mask PNG.

NC in the US of America
Delek wrote:

Famitracker's logo is in the middle of the image, Renoise's logo is in the upper right part of the screen, MuseTracker's logo is just that "MUSE TRACKER" text in the upper right part of the Window, it is just really big.
I think that you only saw the Window bar. xD

Yeah, the only places I could find the logo was in the title bars, lol. The Renoise one is pretty well hidden.
Ah, but I think there is a lesson to be learned here. Renoise's logo is the background to an order list of sort. Very subtle. As for FamiTracker and MuseTracker I guess a text-based logo is a lot less intrusive in a text-based interface. I had assumed that the FamiTracker logo was the [FT] thing, not the "FAMITRACKER" thing, and I can't find that anywhere except in the Window Title-bar.

At the very least it leaves an impression smile

And like I said, I don't want to tread on your artistic vision or anything. Plus, the most important thing is the functionality and format support first and foremost.

yogi wrote:

smile Yogi

LOL!, or hexedit deflemask.exe to remove the mask PNG.

wink like I said it's no real biggie wink

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Aug 26, 2013 9:25 pm)

Canada

Is there a way to find the actual BPM of a song? Like FamiTracker or LSDJ shows. Or does deflemask only rely on editing the speed and base time? I'm trying to sync the tempo of my tracks in Logic for mixing/etc, which doesn't deal in speed/base.

Last edited by Jansaw (Sep 15, 2013 2:07 am)

NC in the US of America

If you export it to wave you can load the file into something like Mixmeister BPM Analyzer to calculate the BPM. I believe it is actually more accurate with an mp3 file, but you can try both and see what you get. It works quite well in the vast majority of times I've used it, even to the 100th decimal place.

Canada

I've done that a few times now with the Logic BPM counter, haha. I was just wondering if there was an easier way. Maybe it could be a good thing to implement in later versions?
Thanks for the help Sketchman:)

Liverpool, UK

is there an idiots guide to installing Deflemask on Ubuntu? I'd love to set it up on my Ubuntu machine!

Buenos Aires, Argentina

Maybe this can help:

www.delek.com.ar/forum/deflemask/(tutorial)-64-bit-debian-based-linux-distros-and-deflemask/

Brighton, United Kingdom

Hey, trying to open it on Windows 7, but I get that "Impossible to create the Window. CODE: 0xF4E7372F"  message every time. All drivers are up to date and I can't figure out what's making it do that. Help?!

Brighton

What kind of graphics card have you got?
(Although I dunno how much difference that makes, it runs on my netbook's integrated card)