Arad, Romania
boomlinde wrote:
qb wrote:

Chiptune makes more sense as a term since it simply means music made using sound chips from old computers\consoles.

Amiga computers were still pretty new by the time "chiptune" started being used to describe some music that was made with them. I don't think that a reasonable definition would take relative age into consideration.

qb wrote:

So to answer the topic question, no. You're not making authentic chip music if you make your own samples

Coincidentally, that is how "chiptune" sounds are traditionally made.

Those first Amiga chiptune composers were simply trying to *emulate* the sound of the C64. I don't think it should matter that the term "chiptune" was coined in the late '90s.

On some platforms you can do that but you still have to play the samples on a dedicated sound chip, which is really where the definition comes from (i.e. music played on a chip). You also have basic sounds\waveforms that you can start from which are built into the chip. The Paula chip on the Amiga doesn't have any basic sounds built into it. It plays whatever samples you have.

Unsubscribe

Yea but you can also make the argument that the DAC of the paula has a certain mojo that say a usb sound card running renoise doesnt.

Boulder, CO

Pretty sure I read this thread every 2 months and each time it has a new title and a new authority on chip music appears.

AdamGetsAwesome wrote:

Pretty sure I read this thread every 2 months and each time it has a new title and a new authority on chip music appears.

The "FAQ" cycle never ends as long as new people keep appearing in the scene. And I'm not sure stickies, FAQ pages, or even video tutorials are gonna help decrease it.

Unsubscribe

And you guys make the same post decrying it. smile

Boulder, CO
herr_prof wrote:

And you guys make the same post decrying it. smile

4ever! Why stop the cycle? I'm gonna go make 8bit chiptunes on my Amiga now.

Edit: Emulated on a Windows VM on a Mac... of course.

Last edited by AdamGetsAwesome (Mar 10, 2014 1:54 am)

Gosford, Australia
defPREMIUM wrote:

that awkward moment when i trolled better than intended.......

aviel y u gotta do this

South Korea
defPREMIUM wrote:

But it made SO MUCH sense sad 1 channel IS just one bit (small piece, NOT computational values) of music. That is why beeper music is 1 bit (one channel, essentially) GB music is 4 bit (4 channels) and Piggy can be UP TO 8 bits. Bloody hell, now I have to re-evaluate my stance on what is TRVE chip and get into discussions/arguments over how many bits is what and what is chip and what chips are my favorite flavor instead of making music without conjuring up a fucking label first. Thanks for shattering EVERYTHING!

Brunswick, GA USA

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/3988/ … read-this/

NC in the US of America
DeerPresident wrote:
defPREMIUM wrote:

But it made SO MUCH sense sad 1 channel IS just one bit (small piece, NOT computational values) of music. That is why beeper music is 1 bit (one channel, essentially) GB music is 4 bit (4 channels) and Piggy can be UP TO 8 bits. Bloody hell, now I have to re-evaluate my stance on what is TRVE chip and get into discussions/arguments over how many bits is what and what is chip and what chips are my favorite flavor instead of making music without conjuring up a fucking label first. Thanks for shattering EVERYTHING!

Pro-actively fighting a battle that barely exists. smile

Also rofl at the "beeper music" reasoning.

This whole thread. *smh* what is even the point? Why do you get a kick out of this? What did it ever do to you?
I LOL'd but still...
*hedghog.bmp*

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Mar 10, 2014 7:36 am)

Arad, Romania
herr_prof wrote:

Yea but you can also make the argument that the DAC of the paula has a certain mojo that say a usb sound card running renoise doesnt.

But then you would have to ignore the fact that chiptune on the Amiga started as a way of emulating the C64 sound. If I'm not mistaken, the term itself was coined by demoscene musicians in reference to C64 music, so it was at some point directly related to sound chips that had basic sounds built into them. If you go by the original definition, the chip you make on the Amiga is not really chip unless you actually sample sounds from a real sound chip.

In my opinion, for all intents and purposes, music that sounds like chiptune is chiptune at least to some degree.

Unsubscribe

Why would I have to ignore that? Im just saying that a chiptune off a paula dac versus one off a consumer dac has a different sound. Perhaps we should go back in time and just tell those demosceners to call it WAVETABLE SYNTHESIS instead.

.FILTHadelphia

Renoise users get the luxury of calling their music whatever they want because they've decided to use a modern tracker over standard piano roll DAWs. I use Renoise and I make Sega Death Crushwave,

Arad, Romania
herr_prof wrote:

Why would I have to ignore that? Im just saying that a chiptune off a paula dac versus one off a consumer dac has a different sound. Perhaps we should go back in time and just tell those demosceners to call it WAVETABLE SYNTHESIS instead.

I know what you're saying. I'm talking about the original definition, which was a bit more particular than that.

If you argue purely from a stylistic point of view, I guess this is kind of like arguing that new dubstep isn't dubstep because the original dubtep was almost nothing like what people make today, which makes some sense but genres\styles of music evolve over time. A lot of electronic music subgenres have changed radically since their inception, but chiptune hasn't necessarily gone through that kind of transformation. At least not to the same extent. People have kept on making chiptune on old hardware since the beginning and they won't stop anytime soon as long as there is a demand for this genre.

I guess if it will survive long enough at some point it won't even matter to anyone how it was made. We will probably make music in software exclusively anyway at some point in the future.

Last edited by qb (Mar 10, 2014 9:33 pm)

Warwickshire, UK
herr_prof wrote:

Ha - that's not far from the truth is it. The technique 4Mat pioneered is exactly that, so the Amiga is a Waldorf big_smile

Wavetable Synthesis Composer doesn't quite have the same ring to it though...

Tacoma, WA

uuuuugghhhhh... -.- such pointless squabbling. Genre shouldn't really matter. The fact that you have to label your music as this or that means that you're confining your view of yourself and your music to what others have been and are doing. Musicianship--the skillfull composition and execution of your music--is what really should matter. Make music to make music; what other people have to say is irrelevant so long as you derive enjoyment from your music.

Last edited by Vellain (Mar 10, 2014 10:14 pm)