@noobstar: that's how I learned it too. And I still like the concept. There's no black magic happening or something...it's just messing around with a tracker. So I don't understand, why people have to keep their files top secret. smile

On a general notice: don't expect too much. These are just files that show my own learning curve with klystrack. There are a lot of lazy workarounds and plain stupid things in there. Just check out Kinetic Machinery. I hadn't get my head around the arp and you can clearly see this in the instrument panel. big_smile
Edit: And yes...I used samples in some places because I didn't want to miss trying out that feature.

Klystrack EP Workfiles

Last edited by bod (Aug 7, 2014 7:34 am)

Tokyo, Japan

Thanks man!

@b00b: Yes I have noticed that also, it indeed might have something to do with how I changed stuff to add the FM route. I need to look into that today because I got the new rendering sort of working (more on that fiasco later... at least you will have your colored patterns). Thanks for confirming this! Also, your latest CD smells funky.

@bod: I liked the sample use, kinda gave a different flavor to the sound instead of the normal hard and crunchy klystrack sound. I find it very interesting to look at how people have made music and how it's way different than I expected. Also it's very nice that you people make your work public so that people can learn from them.

Montreal, Canada
bod wrote:

@noobstar: that's how I learned it too. And I still like the concept. There's no black magic happening or something...it's just messing around with a tracker. So I don't understand, why people have to keep their files top secret. smile

On a general notice: don't expect too much. These are just files that show my own learning curve with klystrack. There are a lot of lazy workarounds and plain stupid things in there. Just check out Kinetic Machinery. I hadn't get my head around the arp and you can clearly see this in the instrument panel. big_smile
Edit: And yes...I used samples in some places because I didn't want to miss trying out that feature.

Yeah I don't know why people don't share their source files. Back in the old days of the demoscene it was kind of a point of pride to show off your mad tracking skills smile I remember people doing all sorts of crazy shit for no other reason than going "look what I did there!," like using pattern jump commands to make patterns run backwards and whatnot. Personally I think it's the sharing of these source files that evolved tracking to where it got.

When I look at my first Klystrack files, there's also a LOT of shitty workarounds in there haha. Things that don't make sense and make me cringe a bit like having to use 3-4 instruments to do something I can now do with a single instrument. While Klystrack works very much like any other trackers, there's also this weird side to it where you have to re-learn a lot of stuff. But overall, I just fucking love this software. It has just the right balance of limitations and freedom. You can make super oldschool stuff with it and you can make it sound huge as all hell if you want.

I use the sample a LOT, but pretty much never to play a straight up sample. I use it as an extra oscillator basically, either to fatten up a sound, or give it a bit of a different texture from the standard oscillators. I use FM pretty much the same way, just to add a touch of texture to some sounds.

Anyways.. maybe we should do a Klystrack collab at some point smile

@komet
Every CD is carefully manufactured and then placed in my armpits for an entire week. The funky smell is what gives it collector value. In 20 years you'll see those CDs pop up on Ebay as "first generation armpit n00bstar CDs".

@bod & komet
I think it's high time to formalize Klystrack and redo the distro package. A lot of the example songs packaged with it don't play right in the new versions. There's a definite lack of user-friendliness to the package. We should perhaps make a couple of new example songs, and a proper instrument library to get people started with the synth engine. I could continue my tutorials, edit them into some html package or something and include those in. Get a proper webpage setup with nifty little pixelated graphics (ilkke, that's your call...). Find a way to sync pc/mac/linux builds for every new release etc. I have a domain that's paid for, just needs a little hosting and I'm more than willing to use it to spread the klystrack love around.

I actually did my entry for this years revision (follow up party to the breakpoint) demoscene party, as stated a few pages back here. And people are still doing weird stuff. Especially in renoise.

Updating example songs sounds like a nice Idea. I could maybe get my head around a smiling little pdf file with a crash course and also your extended tutorials. Also I still got space left on my server, so consider this done. For the html site, I don't know what you have in your head, but I could also provide that to a certain extend.

On another note: are we talking about shaved armpits? Because shaved ones aren't smelling funky enough. big_smile

Last edited by bod (Aug 7, 2014 4:47 pm)

Damn, I shouldn't have removed the plastic, the CD will now lose extra value over time.

One thing that I have meant to do for a long while is a proper tutorial video but I sound dorky with my accent. But in any case that might be an easy way to have at least some kind of tutorial, just recording the process of making tunes.

I figured out the slowdown: FM was processed even though it was not enabled for the channel (and there are 32 channels internally in klystrack even if you only use a few). I guess the FM code should be faster in any case, I don't think any post 90s computer should have trouble doing it for a bunch of channels.

After I sort out some other trouble with the migration I will post a test build.

Tokyo, Japan

Yay! Can wait!

Tokyo, Japan

Quick thought, i dont think i have seen an .kt files over 16 channels and only one or two close to 16. Might it be an idea to put an option in the config file to limit channels to 8 or 16 ifrunning on a low spec machine?

IMO it should work more like if there hasn't been any audio output from that channel in last 1000 samples or so, it would turn the channel off. I think there was something like that in there a while ago but it would mess with the modulations since you usually have an inaudible channel for that.

Warwickshire, UK

Happy to report this works on Win 7 Pro (32 bit) running on Parallels Desktop on OS Mavericks smile

Soon you don't even have to use Parallels. smile

After I sort out a problem with Windows file permissions I will post the SDL2 port. Not too many new features but it shouldn't hog the CPU anymore.

Here you go: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/119 … -win32.zip

Montreal, Canada

Hogs about 20% CPU on my 3.4ghz 8core i7 w/ 32gb ram. So... Yeah I won't test it on my netbook big_smile

Also... you changed the text colour for my favorite theme! sad Now it's all vomit-green and baby-poop-yellow!

Oh and.. apparently Chrome detects the zip file as a malware. Might want to run a virus scanner on your machine?

Chrome says that when the file is "rare" as in not many people downloaded it yet or something like that. Definitively no malware on my computer.

Text colors etc. might be off because of the new renderer and how it handles the color tinting. I need to fix the offending themes.

I'm getting something like 20 % use on my 3.4 GHz i7 (I think we are processor bros!) when I have 1x1 pixel size and almost full screen and play a song that fills a good part of the pattern view but it drops to about 12 % if use the 2x2 pixel size (1x1 would be too damn small for me anyways). And it gets even better with 3x3. Maybe your netbook can handle it if you just make the window a bit smaller?

I guess I need to look into the rendering even further, too bad the SDL guys aren't very interested into improving the library in situations like this.

United States

Does this mean there's an update on the klystrack source as well or is this a windows specific issue? I'm running things on the linux side.