IL, US
Imaginary wrote:
e.s.c. wrote:

I've considered doing a podcast, but my taste is far different from what most if the scene is into. Guess it would be a good counterpoint to chipwin though

As far as I'm concerned the fact that your interests would showcase a different subsection of the scene could only be seen as a good thing. Having 100 excellent chiptune news sources that constantly agreed about how great the same 25 artists are would be pointless.

i'd probably not stick to only chip either, tbh there's just not that much chip music that i enjoy

Joliette, QC, Canada

Just red the entire topic and it was a good read !

bryface wrote:

chiptune so isn't dead, but the coverage / documentation / journalism of chiptune kinda sucks, and that's why everyone thinks nothing new is happening.
the last thing that i felt truly encapsulated everything that was going on with the chip scene is STILL the reformat the planet documentary (though one could argue that was more a natural side effect of blipfest itself being intentionally cross-sectional with its curation).  even 8bc's top 3 tracks feature implicitly reflected the trends of the time, so you could check it out every week and theorize about where the artform / scene is heading. 

but anyway there used to be more central, authoritative sources that the whole scene could use to get a convenient slice of the scene at large.  That WeeklyTreats project (1 song by a different chip artist every week of the year) was pretty nice because it included interviews that also conveyed the featured artist's insights on the scene itself.  goto80's chipflip blogposts were great too because of his perspective as a historian.  aaand of course TCTD

nowadays, to get a sense of the scene at large:
- there's chipwin, which imho has a long way to go in terms of the quality of its written content, and overall has a very low signal-to-noise ratio
- you get what you can from chatter in various chip discords
- you go to chip shows / festivals in person and hope that the organizers are able to curate based on "what's happening right now" instead of "who can we get that's convenient"

btw that Latin American chip bandcamp article is great because it seems to reflect a real, mature effort to take a cross-sectional look at the current state of things, albeit a particular subculture of the chipscene itself.  more of that please.

Bryface my man ! Those words of yours I quote...High five dude !
I think the problem with ChipWin is the majority of their users only cares about le gameboy LSDJ/Nanoloops (and sometimes famitracker and a little bit of deflemask) so the kind of awesome news I want to see on this page got 0 to max 3 likes and gets easily buried by shitloads of WIPs videos and stuff !
...and Holy s**et I miss TCTD ! sad

Melbtown, Lolstralia

Fun seeing a bunch of names here haven’t seen in a while..

This year I played a show at a festival in Tokyo, helped co-run a festival in Melbourne, recorded a new EP (forthcoming) and attended monthly Chiptune meetups on my city..

Throughout that time I barely interacted with an online international “scene” but did have a chance to have some big conversations with some people who have been on this for a long time..

Basically my current state of being is do what you like doing and surround yourself with people who you enjoy the company and creativity of.. organise more shows that aren’t chiptune for the sake of chiptune but shows that are good diverse lineups of talented people.. and fuck videogames

Last edited by Dot.AY (Dec 12, 2018 11:29 am)

Chicago IL

Is it back yet

IL, US
Saskrotch wrote:

Is it back yet

England

i keep finding a ton of interesting chip releases that just seem to get ignored and then u read stuff like this and it all kinda seems sad to me

.-""""""-.
   .'          '.
  /   O      O   \
:           `    :
|                |   
:    .------.    :
  \  '        '  /
   '.          .'
     '-......-'

Melbourne
Dot.AY wrote:

organise more shows that aren’t chiptune for the sake of chiptune but shows that are good diverse lineups of talented people.. and fuck videogames

dot.ay with the truth

IL, US
pselodux wrote:
Dot.AY wrote:

organise more shows that aren’t chiptune for the sake of chiptune but shows that are good diverse lineups of talented people.. and fuck videogames

dot.ay with the truth

Agreed. I liked that the lineup for the gig i played in Sept was something very different from the normal chip gig. Pretty sure i was the only one to even use a game boy as part of my set in any way & it was all darker/heavier artists (so many chopped breaks)

Actually showing up to Chip gigs.

Unsubscribe
Gegueure wrote:

Actually showing up to Chip gigs.

Actually showing up to gigs with people who've never heard chiptune live.

Melbourne
herr_prof wrote:

Actually showing up to gigs with people who've never heard chiptune live.

In my experience it's pretty difficult to convince people who haven't had exposure to chiptunes to come along to a show. Often people say things like "I'm not really into chip stuff" because they think that it's all happy blippy video game music.

I did my part yesterday: https://youtu.be/QORzTGd875k

Unfortunately, even though I spent like a week making the video. It looks like it's going to be one of my worst performers. I guess it's back to 3D printing for me.

Philly
Saskrotch wrote:

Is it back yet

No.

Philadelphia

I think it's like any other scene. It has it's time, it passes, then anyone who's still producing quality work will keep at it. I'd rather be recognized as an artist on my own merit (I'm a musician who happens to use particular hardware as my instruments) than just another part of a scene that people like cause it's current. Not to say I don't want more people to love chiptunes but there will always be an inherent 'filter' eventually that weeds out those that just jumped on the bandwagon or aren't passionate about it (there are exceptions, of course).

Last edited by Doctor Octoroc (Feb 15, 2019 9:21 pm)

Brittany

Why do people think the scene is dead ?
I just had a look on bandcamp. The tags chiptune are chipmusic are showing quite a lot of activity.

It may not be mainstream, and there is little coverage of albums releases, but people seems to enjoy producing and listening to music.

Brazil
Duck wrote:

CHIPTUNE in "NOT DEAD, JUST LATIN AMERICAN" shocker

https://daily.bandcamp.com/2018/12/05/l … une-guide/

Oh man... They showcased a dude from Brazil which we never HEARD of before. I mean, we at chippanze don't publicize that often what we do, but man, I was kinda pissed by the fact that, by my egoistic standards, we are the brazilian chip dudes... Im happy to see other fellows from here doing it, but c'mon, we are doing this for ten years. But i will stop derailing the thread with my ramblings.

My view on it is that it is evolved a bit. People just kept experimenting and doing weird stuff with the chips. It was never mainstream for starters, so I dunno. But I do miss those days of active community. I am part of the problem, but, well...
The best stuff I heard from the community was from these past few years where people got more influenced by those artists that brought other elements into their music besides the vgm aesthetic. Since it got so wider in scope than it was before, it's hard to put everything into the same umbrella. i.e. what zanzan does is at the same time the same and different for what bit shifter does, ya know? And you can put them into the same basket while at the same time they are different categories. I dunno if I made myself clear.

But, to wrap it up, what I think it's lacking is that community vibe we had, specially when this forum started. But that doesn't mean the networking isn't alive and well.