Toronto, Ontario, Canada
freezedream wrote:

Hey everyone, I'm keen to start tracking on my TI-82, but the USB link cables aren't really available from anywhere in Australia. There is just one listed on eBay for around $50 (AUD) which I find too expensive for just the cable. Has anyone come up with a working solution that may be DIY? I'd like to avoid PC serial or parallel ports, so some kind of serial to USB converter would be good. Thanks!

Do you have a serial or parallel port on your computer? Or access to a USB serial connector for cheap?

If so, you can build one of these simple circuits:

https://www.ticalc.org/hardware/cables/parallel.html
https://www.ticalc.org/hardware/cables/serial.html

Last edited by jefftheworld (Jan 19, 2019 7:17 am)

Adelaide, Australia

@irrlichtproject: Thanks for the suggestions! Unfortunately I could only find one listed on Amazon and it was still really expensive to Australia.

@jefftheworld: Oh nice, that looks very promising! Have you or anyone else had success using that method?

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Find it hard to find or make samples for HT2's awesome sample feature? So did I, until I added a feature to my pcm2pwm program!

https://chipmusic.org/forums/post/262036/#p262036:

jefftheworld wrote:

Version 0.8.1 is out! A few years ago I added support for outputting in Houston Tracker 2's inverted format for my own use but I never got around to releasing that feature.

Well, that's the only new feature in pcm2pwm v0.8.1! Enjoy!

https://github.com/JeffAlyanak/pcm2pwm/tree/v0.8.1

Last edited by jefftheworld (Jun 6, 2019 3:40 pm)

Nomad's Land

Ha, that's great news. Added a note regarding this to the HT2 manual. Thanks Jeff! smile

London, UK

nice!

HoustonTracker is great! So I went all the way and programmed the C64 version of "Warhawk" into the TI-82 and created a visualizer to go with it. Plus some kind of tech talk about the SID chip as well as 1-bit audio in general. Used most HT features, including the two user sample slots (with snare samples from the original song and fx to make them varied). Had great fun - there's so much powerful stuff that can be done with the tracker on that little limited machine!

NUMBSKULL

Really awesome overview! Loved the video, subscribed.

catskull wrote:

Really awesome overview! Loved the video, subscribed.

Thanks! Actually, we've "met" - when I made the GB music for Death Planet last year. And something new might be coming there as well... smile

Glasgow, Scotland.

I have like five tracks written on HT years ago that I've been sitting on, convinced that I'll one day have enough to put together an album. Maybe the virus will kill us all off before I get round to it.

unexpectedbowtie wrote:

I have like five tracks written on HT years ago that I've been sitting on, convinced that I'll one day have enough to put together an album. Maybe the virus will kill us all off before I get round to it.

do an EP!

France Eure Et Loire

Do you think it's possible to use HT2 on handheld emulation consoles like RG-350 ? I searched for TI emulators, but found nothing. That should be interesting because it would mean have lighted screen and usb type c battery for houston tracker :-)

I love HT2, I made 2 tracks on it which are in albums but I had issues with batteries. Rechargeable batteries seams to not work good in time, it becomes too quickly empty. I know it worked with emulation on wabbit emu, a TI emulator on linux. So maybe it will be possible?

Last edited by MazHoot (Nov 20, 2020 8:38 am)

MazHoot wrote:

Do you think it's possible to use HT2 on handheld emulation consoles like RG-350 ? I searched for TI emulators, but found nothing. That should be interesting because it would mean have lighted screen and usb type c battery for houston tracker :-)

Doesn't seem to be available now but it shouldn't be impossible to something like tilem2. I actually just ordered an RG-350M to evaluate! But seeing that it can already run VICE or WinUAE, running C64 or Amiga trackers in it should be possible as well... smile

France Eure Et Loire

@tubesockor : great! Says if you find a way! I tryed an amiga tracker which didn't work (i don't remember which one, i am just testing every tracker i found which can work with rg 350).

But I will create a new thread  for that :-)

Making things with HoustonTracker2 is just so fun so I had to continue... smile
This one is a variant of (jazz musician) La La Lars "Häxa" single, which he released as sheet music to let other musicians make their own versions. Here's mine - carefully following the original score in the beginning to then go into solo land. The drums are built-in HT2, except for one of the snares where I took a real snare sample, converted to 1-bit and into HT2 sample data (total size 96 bytes for that one...)

(deleted accidental double post)

Last edited by tubesockor (May 25, 2021 9:03 pm)

Świdnica, Poland

Hello community.
Finally, i've managed to buy a brand new TI-82 but with only unit link cable. Can anyone explain which cable i can use to transfer data so i be able to transfer HT to my TI-82?
This one will work?

click

I have only PC. Any links to ready-to-buy cables will be great.

Thanks in advance! smile