Portland, OR

@nickmaynard Thank you so much for the info. Can't wait to start jamming!

Sweeeeeeden
akira^8GB wrote:

Your volume progression is not being smooth, so those are the "clicks" I believe.
Try using a table, too.

That's no actually the problem. It's a hardware limitation. To change the volume, the phase of the waveform needs to be restarted, which causes a click. you can get away with using well E commands in a table, where one continues where the other left off, but the volume column is essentially useless, unless you actually want a static-ey sound.

Canada
Kedromelon wrote:
Apprentice8 wrote:

I don't know if this has already been addressed. I'm new to LSDJ and was wondering...will 2 DMGs sync properly if one is half clocked? Like, will the timing match up and whatnot? Does this question even make sense? ugh.

Yes, I have done this myself on one song.  Just make sure the one that is NOT underclocked is master.  The underclocked DMG will play at the same BPM of the master, and will still play an octave lower.

You can use the underclocked boy as the master; just make sure to set the underclocked tempo to a high number that is divisible. Therefore, you set the non-modded boy to slave and divide the tempo of the underclocked boy by two (Ex: underclocked master @ 254 & un-modded slave @ 127). Easy enough, but sometimes constraining in tempo variation.

brooklyn
Jansaw wrote:
Kedromelon wrote:

Yes, I have done this myself on one song.  Just make sure the one that is NOT underclocked is master.  The underclocked DMG will play at the same BPM of the master, and will still play an octave lower.

You can use the underclocked boy as the master; just make sure to set the underclocked tempo to a high number that is divisible. Therefore, you set the non-modded boy to slave and divide the tempo of the underclocked boy by two (Ex: underclocked master @ 254 & un-modded slave @ 127). Easy enough, but sometimes constraining in tempo variation.

True, I forgot to mention that.  Thanks Jansaw.

Missouri

Sorry is this has been asked on another part of the site, but im trying to make Chords on LSDJ. I know the C command, but it sounds like its alternating the notes in my opinion, is there a way to make them play at the same time without using both the Pulse channels?

That's how the medium works, boss

Philly, PA, USA
Llulagan wrote:

Sorry is this has been asked on another part of the site, but im trying to make Chords on LSDJ. I know the C command, but it sounds like its alternating the notes in my opinion, is there a way to make them play at the same time without using both the Pulse channels?

an0va wrote:

Yeah, each channel is really just one channel, you can't have it do more than one sound at once.

Missouri
pixls wrote:
Llulagan wrote:

an0va wrote:

Yeah, each channel is really just one channel, you can't have it do more than one sound at once.

Alright, thanks

Yeah the lack of chords is actually one of the only limitations of LSDJ that makes me a little sad...would love to be able to do NES-style chords (e.g. Zelda) just to add a little thickness/depth to the sound.

Canada

You can use the tables to try and emulate slower arps, which may sound closer to what you are looking for, but the rest has been said.

Philly, PA, USA

well, it's not really an LSDJ limitation, it's a hardware limitation, you can do chords, but then not much else, you could use two gameboys and have chords on one and other things on another, or something like that, but that's part of making music on the gameboy. It's just how it is.

I actually enjoy having a lot of the limitations that are there, it inspires creativity and adds to the challenge and fun of it all.

California

was curious about those underclocked gameboys. If I had an underclocked GB connected via arduinoboy would that mean that if I set the tempo on ableton live at 160 then the GB's tempo would actually be somewhere around 80? or would it still be instant (160)?

Last edited by Rei Yano (Feb 7, 2011 5:29 pm)

pixls wrote:

well, it's not really an LSDJ limitation, it's a hardware limitation, you can do chords, but then not much else, you could use two gameboys and have chords on one and other things on another, or something like that, but that's part of making music on the gameboy. It's just how it is.

yeah when I said "limitations of LSDJ" I really meant "limitations of making music using LSDJ compared to other hardware such as NES." Shame on you for not reading my mind, though!

Philly, PA, USA
Rei Yano wrote:

was curious about those underclocked gameboys. If I had an underclocked GB connected via arduinoboy would that mean that if I set the tempo on ableton live at 160 then the GB's tempo would actually be somewhere around 80? or would it still be instant (160)?

from what i understand, if you're using an external clock (not the underclocked gameboy) the external clock triggers the notes essentially, so even though the gameboy is running slower the triggers still come in at the same speed, and are triggered at the same time.

... but i could be wrong.

Laramie, Wyoming, United State

Any good sites for good step by step video tutorials of LSDJ?