Huddersfield, UK

My first gig was on the 19th of September 2008, I'd just gathered up enough material to play around 20 minutes of originals and 10 minutes of covers, looking back it was a bad idea to rush playing my first show like that and I think that's what can give many people who have never listened to chipmusic before a bad impression before they've even delved into the "genre"... I dare say countless other artists have rushed playing their first show out of over-enthusiasm too.

Overall though, it was a pretty good performance. I opened the night and was drastically different to all the other bands playing that night. A lot of the 15 year old girls that turned up to listen to pop-punk didn't really get it (and that was the core demographic too) but the small minority of the hardcore kids (guys that listen to Bad Brains, Minor Threat and Descendants etc) really got into it and started running up the walls and shit... One guy bust his face open and went to hospital but I was so nervous I didn't even realise until after the show, ha. Everything else ran smoothly though. I even got paid somehow.

Tucson, AZ

This was my first gig as well.  I wouldn't change anything.

minusbaby wrote:

When/where was it? (optional)
"Blip" at FUN on the Lower East Side in Manhattan, New York City; July 18th, 2001. The lineup was DJ Unknown, Nullsleep and I.

How did it go?
Three people showed up. My younger brother, Nullsleep's girlfriend and Cory Arcangel. It sounded good and loud, though; so that's alright.

If you could time-travel and redo the gig, what would you do differently?
Get a laptop, haircut and fashion consultant.

southampton, uk

played some kind of horrible collaboration with hurrigame boy at a shitty pub battle of the bands on the 14th November 2008

i would not wear those clothes, dance like i did and be so weird to everyone afterwards as i did.

East Kilbride, Scotland

Hell, my first chip gig is tomorrow! I'll report back on how it went.

Los Angeles
Sycamore Drive wrote:

Break a circuit, er LEG! (and kiss your chipcherry goodbye!) lol

Last edited by 8bitweapon (Jan 21, 2010 9:22 pm)

Milton Keynes, England
8bitweapon wrote:
Sycamore Drive wrote:

Break a circuit, er LEG! (and kiss your chipcherry goodbye!) lol

and most importantly, have fun!!! big_smile

uhajdafdfdfa
Jonnyriddle wrote:

mine was alot of fun. it was back in summer at a place called the sno!bar.
it was a little battle of the bands type thing.
it all went pretty well, except one of my gameboys froze up and refused to work anymore for this one song D:
had to completely skip the song and carry on with the rest of the set. haha.

One of my friends was there, he told me about it, hehe.

Said things like "I felt bad for him when his gameboy broke!" and "he looked really nervous", haha. Good that you had fun, the sno-bar is a cool venue, and anyone doing chip in Milton Keynes is surely a cool guy/girl. smile

Chicago IL

aw memories

i miss breakcore shows. aint NO one complaining about a dumb little "pushpit"

Planet Zaxxon

it was awesome. I got to play with bit mummy, minusbaby with dj big wiz, 8gb and glomag. crazy.

Milton Keynes, England
ant1 wrote:
Jonnyriddle wrote:

mine was alot of fun. it was back in summer at a place called the sno!bar.
it was a little battle of the bands type thing.
it all went pretty well, except one of my gameboys froze up and refused to work anymore for this one song D:
had to completely skip the song and carry on with the rest of the set. haha.

One of my friends was there, he told me about it, hehe.

Said things like "I felt bad for him when his gameboy broke!" and "he looked really nervous", haha. Good that you had fun, the sno-bar is a cool venue, and anyone doing chip in Milton Keynes is surely a cool guy/girl. smile

hahaha big_smile

Last edited by IAYD (Feb 21, 2017 2:16 am)

Liverpool, UK

Chipfest 1 - Jellica, Fluxxin, Henry Homesweet, Sabrepulse, : ( - People came from all over the country, nearly 100 people turned up, everyone had a fucking good time, I broke even, fucking excellent. What I'd change? Roadkill shutting down months afterwards, making it shite for the liverpool chip scene!

My first musical gig? Friday 30 May, Nottingham (me/SoundMatrix/Dot M8rix/Arcadia/Fluxxin) - I got heckled with the ULTIMATE DEVESTATION line "It's not music, and it's not funny" - I sadly had nothing to say to that. What I'd change? Maybe the shorts I was wearing - but it was a brilliant weekend, we went to Norwich the day after to see Jellica/Radio Waves Goodbye/Big Chip/Henry Homesweet! smile

Newcastle, UK

It was a tiny house party in a student flat that belonged to a friend of a friend.
Like J&HT, I'd only written enough songs for 20mins of originals, and 10mins of covers.
The covers I selected were Enter Shikari songs, and the "crowd" (about 10 people sitting on sofas and chairs) hated it.
It was pretty sucky.
And they stole all my booze, so me and Kyotosapian drank everything in the fridge : D

I'd write more songs before playing a first gig, and I'd keep an eye on my drink.

Last edited by Shonen_ (Jan 21, 2010 11:02 pm)

Brooklyn, NY

When/where was it? (optional)
August 2009 at the Tank

How did it go?
In my mind it was a total clusterfuck. Things got all messed up with our booking and it stressed me out. I was so angry and nervous that I was shaking and I messed up a couple of times on the keyboard. The upshot was that we got to perform on the set of a play, which was a KITCHEN. I'm really glad that friends came to support.

If you could time-travel and redo the gig, what would you do differently?
I'd probably switch to whiskey instead of beer, it's proven to be much more effective at calming me down when I'm nervous. Maybe would have switched the line up around too.

Bronx, NY

My first was in emilychiptune's backyard. I bobbed my head, and occasionally looked up at 8bit bEtty, raised my first, and made a RAWWWWWWWWK face.

I dunno if I'd do anything different, the RAWK face was cool.

☺☺☺

When/where? septemberish 2008  (i cant believe its been nearly two years yikes) The tramontane cafe in Utica NY

How did it go? actually amazing, the duo before me was lackluster which led to an uproar as the crowd heard my set, people screamed, a few danced. I met some awesome people that night which led to bigger and better shows (hope the snowball is still rolling)

If you could time-travel and redo the gig, what would you do differently? longer songs. smaller setup. wouldnt have said yes to an interview that was ultimately extorted. less pew pew and more unceunce tongue

DaPantz wrote:

made a RAWWWWWWWWK face.

made plently of these aswell big_smile

Last edited by Emar (Jan 22, 2010 12:24 am)