RG wrote:

I just *really* like the scrolling aspect of a tracker and as far as I know LSDJ doesn't scroll like a classic tracker should.

Do you seriously ignore lsdj because it doesn't scroll?  Really?  Have you used it much?  Lsdj is an amazing little program, and really, I can't blame anyone for wanting to copy it when creating a new tracker for a console.

Last edited by Battle Lava (Jul 22, 2010 12:36 am)

Milwaukee, WI

Absolutely. Most of the inspiration for me (and others, which whom shall remain nameless...tired of name dropping) is watching the notes trigger at insane speeds.

I guess scrolling and seeing more than one track at a time doesn't mean a whole lot when writing within a certain set of tempos as it's like any other sequencer, but when creating music at break-neck speed, cutting breaks into upwards of twenty pieces, micro-editing, and triggering anvil-sized kick drums it matters. It's inspiration.

Oh and yes, I've used LSDJ for years bit back when it was still in it's infancy. I never liked the interface. I'm sure things have changed since but little piggy tracker doesn't impress me much either.

Milwaukee, WI

Oh and yes, I understand we're talking apples and oranges here. I'm just stating why I never liked the LSDJ interface.

Zero inspiration for me.

Minneapolis

I'm with RG on this one too, I don't like the LSDJ interface either. Same basic reason, I like the old style when possible. It's not doable on the DMG because of blurring issues though. *sigh* Then again, I prefer tracking on a computer anyway.

uhajdafdfdfa

For me it's more practical, I like to be able to see more than one note at the same time, because music is all about good and "bad" combinations of notes.

New York City
RG wrote:

Absolutely. Most of the inspiration for me (and others, which whom shall remain nameless...tired of name dropping) is watching the notes trigger at insane speeds.

o_O

Milwaukee, WI

What's so o_0 about that? LOL

This might be a regional attitude as it's been the Midwest way for 10+ years. The faster the better, even if the song is not.

"If it doesn't scroll it doesn't get made."

WOW MAN!

No scrolling.

No scrolling.

No scrolling.

Nope.

wink

Last edited by neilbaldwin (Jul 22, 2010 7:14 am)

Russia, Moscow

Scrolling is obsolete technology.

Milwaukee, WI

Perfect reasons why I don't make techno on a tracker. I leave that to the others here in the Midwest who pioneered that sort of thing, sans scrolling.

That piano scroll is a cheap jab though, but yeah, you know, screw me for having an opinion. wink

Joking of course. Lets move on.

New York City
RG wrote:

That piano scroll is a cheap jab though

Actually, that piano slab is the closest analog real life representation I can find to a tracker!
A vertical step sequencer that scrolls. Brilliant, Shiru! big_smile

Tokyo, Japan

Getting back on track, if you will excuse the pun, has anyone considered the merits of a psp seq type approach to the interface? Single screen step sequencer on psp by the awesomely talented Ethan Bordeaux.

Unsubscribe

i think the pspseq interface is the most limiting thing about this otherwise wonderful program. PLEASE don't copy pspseq.

Tokyo, Japan

I don't think PSP Seq's interface problems are related to the concept (step sequencer with all information for each step at the top of the screen), more that the implementation is a little flawed. I think with more elegant key mapping and clearer values and terminology it might work out pretty well.

That being said, I adore the LSDJ interface and if its working for Neil thats awesome. I was mainly looking for alternatives. Another would be something like a Nanoloopesq graphical step sequencer? would that make the screen refresh problem more managable?

ugh, not a big fan of the nanoloop interface... unless actual note names are used with a nl style interface instead of dots and bars... unless the idea is to have a more abstract interface- and if so then bleh on you tongue

RG, if I'm beating a dead horse here then just let it go, but what is it about a scrolling interface that's inspirational?

New York City
Lazerbeat wrote:

t the implementation is a little flawed. I think with more elegant key mapping and clearer values and terminology it might work out pretty well.

IE changing the interface.
PSPSeq has serious UI and human-interaction problems.
Nanoloop is also a nightmare.

Last edited by akira^8GB (Jul 22, 2010 4:35 pm)