Central-ish VA

Loved not only the first video of James but also the other of all of you a few posts above me.  You all did brilliant work.

Heosphoros wrote:

Am I the only person that finds it utterly awkward to watch gameboy musicians play live? Espeacially if it's just Start and Fist Pump (or in James' case, weird hand spasm).

No offence James, good for you for playing live and shit. Got balls for playing that shit live in the street with a horrible fucking set up.

It can be awkward, sure, but it really doesn't bug me that much.  To each his own, for sure, but I guess I just sort of listen to the music and for the most part tune out the musician's actions ... that is unless they're doing something interesting/hilarious - we see the latter in CDK's performance.

Unsubscribe

Every stupid live performance looks rad with a big enough crowd:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid … 395412439#

))<>((
Heosphoros wrote:

Am I the only person that finds it utterly awkward to watch gameboy musicians play live? Espeacially if it's just Start and Fist Pump (or in James' case, weird hand spasm).

No offence James, good for you for playing live and shit. Got balls for playing that shit live in the street with a horrible fucking set up.

isn't it the same with nearly all purely electronic music?

Trigger a few patterns, dance around, etc.

England

i like to pose with with a guitar and pretend to play augmented 5th diminished 9th chords and dream of becoming mike oldfield.

Westfield, NJ
tacticalbread wrote:
Heosphoros wrote:

No, not at all. This is very insulting to those of us that do more than just trigger patterns.

))<>((

hence the word nearly

California

I wont play live until I am doing something more than just triggering patterns personally. until then I am fine just making the mp3 and distributing it. Just my way of thinking. I would feel too odd just pumping my fist without doing anything musically. Looking up to Mr Keenes as far as chip tunes goes. At least playing a guitar I guess.

Last edited by Rei Yano (Aug 24, 2010 7:51 pm)

Westfield, NJ
tacticalbread wrote:

hence the word nearly

Yeah but too many people have the idea that the only way to play electronic music live with effort is to add guitars or drums. Not true. If you make tracker music then sure, it's all patterns, but if you make synthesizer music, you have all sorts of methods of improvisation that are perfect for live play.

Saying that all electronic music is pattern music is like saying all chiptunes are tracker-based... it's just not true and it's a bad misconception.

Godzilladelph
Decktonic wrote:
tacticalbread wrote:

No, not at all. This is very insulting to those of us that do more than just trigger patterns.

also, this is basically the same stupid debate that's been flying around the penny arcade forum recently. if the performer has awesome stage presence, why would u care if he's just triggering loops on stage? some artists (see: every pop 'artist' ever) just get on stage and dance around while lipsyncing, yet nobody in the crowd gives a shit. hell, as long as you give a really good show (see: nullsleep), and your music is legit, i'm pretty sure the audience will dig it. btw, i'm not saying theatrics are the best way to perform, being technically good and showing off your mad dmg guitar skillz on stage is very nice as well, all i'm saying is, u should definitely give the audience what they paid for. fuckin bring the noise yo tongue

Last edited by SKGB (Aug 24, 2010 8:17 pm)

))<>((

^^^

exactly. I never said I cared, I was simply saying. I do not agree with Heosphoros, and I do think it's all about stage presence.

UK

That was awesome!

Westfield, NJ
tacticalbread wrote:

^^^

exactly. I never said I cared, I was simply saying. I do not agree with Heosphoros, and I do think it's all about stage presence.

Yeah but you're ignoring the part where I said you're wrong! =P

astral cat

back on track...

me and CDK being awesome during my set while he summons his nude dancing gods from the sky!

Last edited by IAYD (Feb 21, 2017 6:16 pm)

USA

I would have fucking cut that fool that unplugged the cable if he came up to me and tried that shit.
Or I would have at the very least told him to go fuck his Mom.
And then I would probably turn my amp up as loud as possible and act fucking crazy.
That warden in the flourescent jacket would probably have to tayz me because I would get fucking livid.
I fucking hate people like that.

Play It Loud!

Unsubscribe
IAYD wrote:

man, even I don't have a datapop shirt

Me either, and i kickstarted money!