Leuven, Bellagium

DAMN, CDK has guts yo! Ya'll should come, and busk in my town... Would be a welcome change from all the stupid gypsies (no racist comment intended.) playing their out of tune fiddles...

Sweden

Mr Bald and Mrs Whale was out for a walk. It was a bad day to play quality music in public...

Minneapolis
*E wrote:

The haters, they be hatin' (and they also be old wimminz and obnoxious baldies)

Last edited by arfink (Aug 25, 2010 11:16 pm)

San Antonio, Texas
herr_prof wrote:
IAYD wrote:

man, even I don't have a datapop shirt

Me either, and i kickstarted money!

Did anyone ever get that compilation that was promised for kickstarting Datapop?

Also, CDK is a beast. A polite beast when he wants to be.

Last edited by Star Fighter Dreams (Aug 26, 2010 12:04 am)

Ciudad de méxico, MX

wow, polite and energetic performer! big_smile

to be fair, for most people it's probably like having some guy's mobile phone ringing for 10 minutes and not being answered.  now, who doesn't get a teeny bit annoyed when a beeping phone goes off on the train or a park or something?  but kudos to CDK none the less.

philly

... a miserable pile of secrets?

Brooklyn, NY

First off, I truly admire the gutsy enthusiasm of anyone like CDK who chooses to perform in public, especially considering the non-traditional nature of the Game Boy as a performance tool. Even if it's "just press play and fistpump," it's still a projection of personal passion, and I would never discourage any of my peers from expressing themselves in this way.

On the other hand, I think that those who choose to do public performances need to keep location and context firmly in mind when choosing when and where to busk. In most situations (but not all), I would say that setting up in the middle of, say, a crowded park and blasting loud Game Boy music is basically asking for trouble. Not because there's anything wrong with it, but because there's no context -- You're playing to a crowd of regular joe's and jane's, most of which probably don't even care about what you're doing with the Game Boy to make those sounds. These situations result in a lot of tension between the performers and the common folk because it is essentially a massive plea for attention. Granted, any street performance is meant to grab people's attention, but due to the apparent novelty of chipmusic, I think it works a lot better when the "audience" is considered before a location is chosen.

A good example is the Lo-Tek Resistance guys from the Seattle area: Every year they set up in front of places where they *know* people will (mostly) be receptive towards that kind of performance, namely outside of videogame and anime conventions. Because of this consideration, they have (until recently) been able to play for long periods of time without getting shut down, and drew crowds of interested folks in the process. This isn't foolproof, obviously, since they still don't have a permit, but it does maximize the positive effects of playing in public while lessening the chances of running into people like Wanker McCordpuller over there.

That's my 2 cents, at least.

Ciudad de méxico, MX
Heosphoros wrote:

Am I the only person that finds it utterly awkward to watch gameboy musicians play live? Espeacially if it's just Start and Fist Pump

I think, trying to be pretty objective, that obviously not everyone feels a performance in the same manner.

Independent from the "show needs" everyone has his own "stage persona". Maybe that's how confident anyone feel, and 'cause we are all different, the result is not for everybody equal.

In a multimedia era, visual aspect is almost as important as music, to some of us. For me, is like different directors make different decisions. In musical or visual aspects. Mostly, some performers tend to recreate with their kinesthetics what their music is trying to pull.

I guess that the music have some movement on itself. Some of us like to use what we have to make that point more valid on our own way. in a visual or kinesthetic way. This thing comes more naturally and efficiently  from the sound experience on ourselves, not just by following the music phenomenological trends.

))<>((
bucky wrote:

... a miserable pile of secrets?

But enough talk, have at you!

Godzilladelph

some nice words from Zen. also, FUCK permits. u don't need permission to drop bangers

brooklyn, NY

CDK, you are an inspiration.

Scotland

I think it's pretty terrible that you even thought doing this would be okay. The guy who unplugged it was clearly just distressed. There was like two or three old women in the video that were obviously just being ignored by the music. The least you could have done was keep it down. You can't expect everyone to like this music and anyone who does should be expected to listen to it in designated zones/their bedrooms.

astral cat

maybe we should all be Michael Buble

UK

Notice how just about everyone seems to either frown or stare?

Edinburgh
CS wrote:

Notice how just about everyone seems to either frown or stare?

I love this image.