nɐ˙ɯoɔ˙ʎǝupʎs

And in the tradition of articles about chipmusic, it doesn't cover even nearly as much as I would have liked it to.

But I thought I'd share it with y'all.

Mario at a rave, etc, etc.

http://www.themusicnetwork.com/music-fe … chipmusic/

The quotes are from the #blipAU pannel thingo and a separate convo with dr. Scale.

Yuma, AZ

A great read! Thanks for sharing, man.

buffalo, NY

I'll be referencing this a bunch when preparing my panel for PAX East

Texas

Definitely going to be sharing this with all of my friends who still don't believe that this is a real thing.

Awesome article, though, seriously. 8D

New York City

Nice one Tom.
My only "gripe" with it is dedicating a chunk of words to "chiptheft". I don't think it deserves any sort of coverage on press, it usually plays back against us rather than in favour.

Other than that, cool beans!

Louisiana

Nice I really enjoyed reading it. I actually learned a thing or two. Btw, has anyone actually considered writing a book about the history of chipmusic? Starting from day one of the gaming systems and computers production? It would be a cool thing to read I think. Have it all broken down into sections like chapters for Nintendo, Sega, and Amiga systems and then a miscellaneous section for the lesser common systems, covering a brief history of the systems and then how they are used in the production of music and visual effects. And the. Have a section of "how tos"for basic mods and stuff. Kind of like a quick education of the history of the scene and help beginners out or just a good read for people that are curious about the scene. I think it would be kind of fun to get a book going. And maybe even include some interviews from the guys that started it all.

Last edited by Vex (Feb 27, 2012 1:37 pm)

Lexington, KY

Niiiice.

Vex wrote:

Nice I really enjoyed reading it. I actually learned a thing or two. Btw, has anyone actually considered writing a book about the history of chipmusic? ...

Yes- many. But either they are: still being worked on, never reach fruition, or where never meant to be anything but a fleeting idea.

Bronx, NY

This is a particularly good piece; thanks for sharing!

akira^8GB wrote:

My only "gripe" with it is dedicating a chunk of words to "chiptheft". I don't think it deserves any sort of coverage on press, it usually plays back against us rather than in favour.

This is interesting, I've never thought about it like that, you're right. I still think it's important to discuss chiptheft because it has been a serious issue within the global chipmusic community, something we've struggled with and also worked together to overcome; it's become one of a few defining characteristics when you think about the strength and supportive nature of our community. But I definitely see your point.

Abandoned on Fire
Battle Lava wrote:
Vex wrote:

Nice I really enjoyed reading it. I actually learned a thing or two. Btw, has anyone actually considered writing a book about the history of chipmusic? ...

Yes- many. But either they are: still being worked on, never reach fruition, or where never meant to be anything but a fleeting idea.

I believe Goto80's thesis is very close to being published.  I expect that to be the definitive text on the whole shebangarang of chip.

Last edited by egr (Feb 27, 2012 4:22 pm)

New York City
DaPantz wrote:

I still think it's important to discuss chiptheft because it has been a serious issue within the global chipmusic community, something we've struggled with and also worked together to overcome; it's become one of a few defining characteristics when you think about the strength and supportive nature of our community.

I think that it just put the whole community under a bad light, getting progressively worse with each case.

Now people are quick to jump into thievery/plagiarism/etc. suspicions on any given case. Recently I saw a guy insisting that a compilation of old C64 music of recent release on digital and vinyl was done without the authors' consent, and wouldn't for a second think otherwise, even if people that know better said it was OK. That was until Ben Daglish said "relax".

It was embarrassing.

São Paulo, Brazil

great work man!

Bronx, NY
akira^8GB wrote:

I think that it just put the whole community under a bad light, getting progressively worse with each case.

Now people are quick to jump into thievery/plagiarism/etc. suspicions on any given case. Recently I saw a guy insisting that a compilation of old C64 music of recent release on digital and vinyl was done without the authors' consent, and wouldn't for a second think otherwise, even if people that know better said it was OK. That was until Ben Daglish said "relax".

It was embarrassing.

That's some excellent insight right there, I didn't even realize/think of that.

hardcore, Australia
Vex wrote:

Books

I think a specific "how to chiptune" book wouldn't sell that well. We are a primarily web based scene and i think that people probably wouldn't buy it when they can just search these things.

I don't have any complaints with this article. I think it covered the right amount of information without throwing too much out there to be confusing.
And there's plenty in there for people to follow up on in the event they want to know more.

But furthering the topic, here's some chip relevant references from when i was writing 3 years ago.

› czech dis

Last edited by godinpants (Feb 27, 2012 9:34 pm)

nɐ˙ɯoɔ˙ʎǝupʎs
akira^8GB wrote:

Nice one Tom.

Hey dude,

I totally understand this gripe. It should be mentioned though that this website is the internet-arm of a subscriber only industry rag. Without some kind of yank back towards the "industry" the article (which already is a stretch for the publication) would have been a bit too far from cannon.

New York City
10k wrote:
akira^8GB wrote:

Nice one Tom.

Hey dude,

I totally understand this gripe. It should be mentioned though that this website is the internet-arm of a subscriber only industry rag. Without some kind of yank back towards the "industry" the article (which already is a stretch for the publication) would have been a bit too far from cannon.

I understand that Tom.
Just makes me a bit sad that is our "yank" hmm