Dallas/Fort Worth, TX
bleo wrote:

Anyhow, back on-topic... will they let you stick .zips in there if you're powered up like egr? piggy projects baby....

Actually, I haven't tried a .zip yet. I'll take a look later and post my results. I wouldn't be surprised if they still blocked a few file types, including .zip, for security reasons. Stay tuned!

Geneva, NY

Yeah, zip and exe seem like they should be permablocked...

Dallas/Fort Worth, TX
bleo wrote:

Yeah, zip and exe seem like they should be permablocked...

Surprisingly, I was able to upload a .zip without issue!

...Not sure about .exe. wink

Geneva, NY

zip! sweet! thanks for checking!

BOSTON
bleo wrote:

Please try to be nicer on these forums.

FHAHAHAHAHA come on guys, you can *not* be serious. this is THE most consistently dickish music forum ive ever been on EVER. I mean, i love it like a jerk brother, but that is a card that just cant be played at this point LMFAOOOOOOO

anyway...

MicroD wrote:

While we're at it... Has anyone else noticed that sometimes Bandcamp's streaming playback seems of especially low quality, even for 128kbps? I've had songs come out of the streaming player sounding almost as if they've been resampled numerous times, with telltale signs of garbled low-end and fizzy highs. It's a shame I can't encode and upload my own streaming versions for better quality.

i think i might have info on this! i looked into the same issue with soundcloud (terrible streaming sound) and it turns out that how they compress it makes a mess of things that are louder than -3db (if i rember correctly), so those of us that are mastering hot get audio artifacts all over the place. so if its worth it to you to make quieter recordings for the sake of streaming quality, idk?

Geneva, NY
BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:
bleo wrote:

Please try to be nicer on these forums.

FHAHAHAHAHA come on guys, you can *not* be serious. this is THE most consistently dickish music forum ive ever been on EVER. I mean, i love it like a jerk brother, but that is a card that just cant be played at this point LMFAOOOOOOO

Fuck off, James.

wink

BOSTON

Dallas/Fort Worth, TX
BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:
MicroD wrote:

While we're at it... Has anyone else noticed that sometimes Bandcamp's streaming playback seems of especially low quality, even for 128kbps? I've had songs come out of the streaming player sounding almost as if they've been resampled numerous times, with telltale signs of garbled low-end and fizzy highs. It's a shame I can't encode and upload my own streaming versions for better quality.

i think i might have info on this! i looked into the same issue with soundcloud (terrible streaming sound) and it turns out that how they compress it makes a mess of things that are louder than -3db (if i rember correctly), so those of us that are mastering hot get audio artifacts all over the place. so if its worth it to you to make quieter recordings for the sake of streaming quality, idk?

Man, if that's the case it's really unfortunate. I don't push my tracks too hard, but to lower the ceiling to -3dB would make it impossible to compete with everyone on here who just learned how to use a limiter. wink

I've reached out to Bandcamp support in the past about this. Here are some excerpts of our conversation;

Bandcamp Support wrote:

Sorry about the warble, Michael. We've encoded millions of files at 128k without a hangup, so this is unlikely to be a bug. We use straight up LAME to encode our streaming MP3 files, and and artifacts do pop up from time to time. Unfortunately there isn't a way to replace our streaming files with ones you've encoded yourself, but (if it reassures you) the incredible majority of fans will never even notice the side effects of lower-quality transcodes.

They asked for examples of particularly bad areas, which I supplied and then received the following;

Bandcamp Support wrote:

Thanks for the info and the compares, Michael. This is just a limitation of our encoding, I'm afraid. Two things might make you feel better about it, though (even though these aren't brilliant pillars of goodness). The first is, again, that most fans actually wouldn't notice the difference in the two recordings even if they had them both for comparison. The second is that no one will have two versions for comparison, and those folks with sharp enough ears to be upset by the issues with the streaming files are also likely to have encountered less-than-perfect encoding jobs while sampling other music elsewhere online. Amazon sounds like ass, as a matter of fact.

If we find ourselves running into these sorts of warbles with greater frequency as time goes on, we will return to our codec settings and upload process, and make clever changes accordingly. Thanks for keeping your tunes as pristine as possible.

Cheers!

They've always been helpful and responsive but in this case weren't able to offer up much except the consolation that "most fans won't notice". Too bad.

Last edited by MicroD (Apr 27, 2012 7:49 pm)

Unsubscribe

Lame is a really crappy encoder in my experience.. especially on square waves. Anybody know the science?

Dallas/Fort Worth, TX

I've got a general understanding of mp3 as a format, but not LAME specifically. I used to have a bookmark of a pretty good article about the subject. I'll see if I can find it.

I did chuckle when the support guy stated that "Amazon sounds like ass, as a matter of fact." tongue

Geneva, NY
BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

LOL!!! heart

My retort will include my shocking likeness to Goldblum and raise you one celebrity grave site.

Geneva, NY
herr_prof wrote:

Lame is a really crappy encoder in my experience.. especially on square waves. Anybody know the science?

Yeah, solo square waves getting mangled. Who woulda thunk it! Sounded fine using lame to encode when I was testing shit out, then once the files were on bandcamp... fuckery

I kinda actually liked the effect here, tho: http://shrimps.bandcamp.com/track/intro

buffalo, NY
bleo wrote:

My retort will include my shocking likeness to Goldblum and raise you one celebrity grave site.

Hey that's like 400 meters from my girlfriends house big_smile

Last edited by danimal cannon (Apr 27, 2012 8:10 pm)

Unsubscribe

Is your girlfriend a g-g-g-ghost?

Geneva, NY
danimal cannon wrote:
bleo wrote:

Hey that's like 400 meters from my girlfriends house big_smile

Well Dan, I think you owe to the memory of THE OG SUPERFREAK to sneak over there some night and get freaky. wink

detroit
DKSTR wrote:

broken flash players and mediafire download links.

RIP geocities