NSW, Australia

Hey so i'm working on a new EP coming out in about 3 months, looking at my past material and this single what should i improve and what would you like to see in this new release thanks smile the EP will be more like the single than past work.

The Single: http://soundcloud.com/theskyisblacknotb … ow-bastion

PS: could you support me an like my facebook page big_smile

http://www.facebook.com/TheSkyIsBlackNotBlue

Last edited by The Sky Is Black Not Blue (Jun 17, 2012 11:29 am)

I would like to see that you don't rush your releases like this.
I mean you posted your first tune here around 14 days (2 Weeks, kKay?) and now announcing a EP?
Take your time boy. And to be honest, the song is okay, but the "screams" in here are highly annoying. Don't want to be mean here, but thinking about somebody playing this live and screams like this in the microphone - I would think he lost his voice. And what is the point of writting lyrics if i even can't barley understand what they are saying?

And also i don't think setting up a date is a good idea. For my opinion i wouldn't do it. I got myself something in the work but would never say: "Heya Gayws! Next Month im gonna drop that thing!". It's done, when it's done. Most of the times i write some song for this thing, record them and then end up don't liking them and they rest on my hard drive.

How about you take the 3 months time to just drop some songs and try to learn and learn every bit that you can to improve. LSDJ Tutorial in any kind of form, ask People how they do that and so on. Most of the times you will see that a handfull of people just copy what other guys do.
But that's how you learn it - See how other people do it, try it out for yourself the same way and then start creating your own style with the basics of your learned experience.

Last edited by 9-Heart (Jun 15, 2012 1:57 pm)

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

9-heart's right. I remember in your other CC thread, people said they didn't like your stuff but gave you tips to work on. I think you'really getting too ahead of yourself. Also, yeah, I wish I had never picked a date on my album. It's been done for a while and now it's just a waiting game. And that was only like 3 weeks when I announced it. You're saying 3 months? No one's gonna remember that you're working on this. Just release it when it's done without this huge wind up period. You might rush yourself without progressing at all. Hope this made sense.

Rochester, NY

We learned a lot when we released our first album:

Don't set a release date until the album is actually done (ie hold the finished album for a bit before release, maybe there are changes to be made)
Have everything ready to go so you can relax before release (extras and stuff)
Making an album is a lot harder than you think it is

Medina, Ohio

I learned to not release an ep unless it's good...http://dsv101.bandcamp.com/album/7-songs-ep

WHOOPS!

Rochester, NY

finally got to listen, tone down the effects on your screams seriously

it sounds like you're screeching, and then you're throwing some effect on there

Do you seriously like how that sounds?  If so I won't question it, but can you seriously tell me that's what you want your music to sound like?

Are you planning on not using a kick sound?  The one beat you use throughout is suffering.

NC in the US of America

Was this done with LSDJ? It sounds like you're only using the two pulse channels. If you don't want to use the wave channel for melodic content, try throwing in a kit. Or, you could even use the wave channel for your Kick drum by setting your synth to sawtooth, Play to Manual, and put a P-F1 next to it, and a K after that so it doesn't drone forever.

It's a bit crispier than the pulse kick, and you can keep your pulses for volume enveloped stuff.

I wish I could understand what you were saying. This sounds interesting, though. I don't think this is what everyone meant when they said "work on your screams". Though... it has an appeal... but I hesitate to say that, in the fear that I may steer you down the path to unpopularity, so I'll just shush now.

NSW, Australia

Thanks for all the comments guys.....

1. Yes i won't rush the release that wasn't really a proper date, it will probably take a lot longer

2. @ 9heart Sorry you found them annoying, Would you guys prefer if i change the types of screams on different lyrics? and when i record vocals it takes me a lot of takes but i do the whole song each take and i don't run out of breath so i dont think that's a problem smile

3 @ ChipChallenge More or less that's what there going to sound like, i can add more kick if you like and same with 9-heart would you prefer if i change the types of screams on different lyrics? And yes i do like the song :S Yeah i'm planning to do a kick sound smile

PS It's great to hear from people who inspire me with there music............. Chip's Challenge i am a fan smile

NSW, Australia

@ SketchMan3 Thanks you have been giving me positive feedback from day one, I am using LSDJ, i will try using the wave channel a bit more...... And as i have stated before i will be keeping that style of screaming but if you guys say so i will switch it up a bit on different lyrics (Tell me if that would be good)

Also i'm kinda confused because the awesome users of CMO tell me to ease up on the effects but my friends say effects sound better :3

Last edited by The Sky Is Black Not Blue (Jun 15, 2012 11:07 pm)

I haven't listened to the song, but I can tell what it sounds like from my fellow musicians reactions and the first song you posted. You should definitely lower the volume of the vocals and try to make them more clean and fit into themix better. If they're the right volume with minimal effects processing it can sound good. The track is just loud right now, and thats no good unless it's clear what everything is.

NSW, Australia
Frostbyte wrote:

I haven't listened to the song, but I can tell what it sounds like from my fellow musicians reactions and the first song you posted. You should definitely lower the volume of the vocals and try to make them more clean and fit into themix better. If they're the right volume with minimal effects processing it can sound good. The track is just loud right now, and thats no good unless it's clear what everything is.

Okay so the main reaction is less effects and cleaner vocals?

I definitely recommend you listen to the song it sounds very different to the first song.

Last edited by The Sky Is Black Not Blue (Jun 15, 2012 11:48 pm)

Portland

I'm just not really feeling it (and I listen to quite a bit of nintendocore, HtheB and iamerror etc).
Maybe try filling out the sound, make it sound heavier.  And adding some variation.
I think the vocals could work but you should maybe imo pull down the gain and try to get a bit of a lower pitch out of your voice for it?

Maybe listen to some of these guys to see what I mean: http://www.soldier001.com/
They're really heavy for what they are, its rad.

NSW, Australia
Dos wrote:

I'm just not really feeling it (and I listen to quite a bit of nintendocore, HtheB and iamerror etc).
Maybe try filling out the sound, make it sound heavier.  And adding some variation.
I think the vocals could work but you should maybe imo pull down the gain and try to get a bit of a lower pitch out of your voice for it?

Maybe listen to some of these guys to see what I mean: http://www.soldier001.com/
They're really heavy for what they are, its rad.

Thank you i'm definitely changing the amount of effects on the vocals, just waiting to see if more people want more variation in the screams.

Edit: should i go for a more Hardcore Approach???

Last edited by The Sky Is Black Not Blue (Jun 16, 2012 12:31 am)

Gosford, Australia

go more hardcore but more old school hardcore punk rather than lame screamo xXbreakdownXx hardcore

i say this because i hear a lot of thrashy, dirty potential in the music that isn't being fully realised!

Last edited by Victory Road (Jun 16, 2012 1:23 am)

NSW, Australia
Victory Road wrote:

go more hardcore but more old school hardcore punk rather than lame screamo xXbreakdownXx hardcore

i say this because i hear a lot of thrashy, dirty potential in the music that isn't being fully realised!

Hey Victory Road, I am also a fan of your work smile I don't want to go to hardcore so i think ill go somewhere in the middle Don't worry i won't be making any br00tal songs xD

babylon

i haven't seen the word chipcore used yet. im always learning.