lolusa
ovenrake wrote:
mepufw wrote:

you just described reddits r/lounge sub forum... its reserved for only those that have donated to the site. although, i wont be surprised if you are all redditors and know this already... >_>

well i learned something. I'm glad this thread got through to me

that sounds horribly sarcastic, but is not

Holland
TERADAKTYLE wrote:

How about people that mod gameboys and sell them online? I'm sure they make more than the average chiptuner

Which idiot buys 'pro mods' online any way? It's a ridiculously easy job to do yourself.

at a guess about 90% of the chip community are other chip musicians. if you want to sell more I'd suggest:

* don't publicise your work only in the chip community..
* don't publicise your work only on blogs made by your friends.
* don't label your work chiptune/chipmusic outside of the community, as it comes with a lot of baggage.  call it electronic music or if you focus on one genre call it that genre.  if THEY call it chipmusic then fine, but chances are they'll tag it in a genre with a broader base.
* remember, nobody gives a damn what you wrote it on if they like it. (and don't go on about what hardware you use, using X to make Y stopped being a novelty years ago and stops the music being the focus)

whatever you're making there will be people out there who like it, but if you only try selling to your peers you'll never extend your audience.  seeing a playlist which is 99% other styles and a couple of your tracks is THE BEST FEELING.  honestly.

edit: and this is in no way dismissing the chipmusic community, before people start flaming.

Last edited by 4mat (Jun 24, 2012 1:55 pm)

São Paulo, Brazil

absolutelly agree with what 4mat said.

Brunswick, GA USA
4mat wrote:

* remember, nobody gives a damn what you wrote it on if they like it. (and don't go on about what hardware you use, using X to make Y stopped being a novelty years ago and stops the music being the focus)

That's how you get stuck with music only other musicians like to hear...

4mat wrote:

edit: and this is in no way dismissing the chipmusic community, before people start flaming.

That's what titles like "chipmusic is dead" are for. Seriously, though, lack of desire to reach outside the norm is what causes stagnation. Consider this of you dislike the stuff in the "best of 2012" thread.

Unsubscribe
PULSELOOPER wrote:

absolutelly agree with what 4mat said.

buffalo, NY
4mat wrote:

* remember, nobody gives a damn what you wrote it on if they like it. (and don't go on about what hardware you use, using X to make Y stopped being a novelty years ago and stops the music being the focus.

These are in direct competition.  I still play for people all the time who find the Chiptune creation process to be 'novel' (or novelty). I still find joy in telling other people about my music process and WHY I do it.  I guess I don't have a problem with it because I'm not afraid of my music standing on its own, explaining the process only enhances it, if the person cares to know.

Brunswick, GA USA
danimal cannon wrote:
4mat wrote:

* remember, nobody gives a damn what you wrote it on if they like it. (and don't go on about what hardware you use, using X to make Y stopped being a novelty years ago and stops the music being the focus.

These are in direct competition.  I still play for people all the time who find the Chiptune creation process to be 'novel' (or novelty). I still find joy in telling other people about my music process and WHY I do it.  I guess I don't have a problem with it because I'm not afraid of my music standing on its own, explaining the process only enhances it, if the person cares to know.

I am thankful that this issue was raised, because I wanted to ask about out but wasn't sure how. I find slight similarity in the speech Synth (Vocaloid) community where the shock value of the artificial lead singer (omg miku!!) and the merchandise that goes with it gets more attention than the songwriters and producers. I find using the imagery associated with the Vocaloid characters gets you automatic views and listens but rarely translates into record sales. Chipmusic has it a little easier on this regard, but not by much...

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]
4mat wrote:

This couldn't be more wrong.

danimal cannon wrote:

I still play for people all the time who find the Chiptune creation process to be 'novel' (or novelty). I still find joy in telling other people about my music process and WHY I do it.  I guess I don't have a problem with it because I'm not afraid of my music standing on its own, explaining the process only enhances it, if the person cares to know.

This. All of this.

Unsubscribe

As an artist I really dont want the only reason to be in a room is that someone thought my electronics was neat.

Auxcide wrote:
4mat wrote:

The only people that care about that are here, if the music wants a wider acceptance on it's own merits it should distance itself from the process of how the music is made. Pretty much every chip article sounds like an excerpt from Sound on Sound and we're past the point where it's the journalist's fault.

Godzilladelph
chunter wrote:

$20 DMG + $20 materials + $100 soldering iron that doesn't suck + $200 workbench with less of space + rent + food = these guys don't make much either

yeeeeeeaaaaaaah but that 100$ soldering iron and 200$ workbench are investments, you don't have to pay that money EVERY time you mod a gameboy, and idk about you, but i can find DMGs for 10 bux on the internet.

That being said, I would totally run a gameboy modding service if I had the time to self promote another business venture for myself.

And if there weren't some awesome modders out there already wink

buffalo, NY
4mat wrote:
Auxcide wrote:

The only people that care about that are here, if the music wants a wider acceptance on it's own merits it should distance itself from the process of how the music is made. Pretty much every chip article sounds like an excerpt from Sound on Sound and we're past the point where it's the journalist's fault.

Listen, I have zero issue with discussing music on a purely musical level, but I feel like the process, when correctly portrayed, enhances how someone might feel about it. It's sort of like comparing demos to Hollywood CGI.  Do you think during the comparison they're not going to mention "oh by the way this is only 64k".

NC in the US of America
4mat wrote:
Auxcide wrote:

If a casserole comes out tasting nasty, nobody's going to care that you had to dive to the depths of the sea to find that one last special ingredient, or that you had to fight ninja's to procure a blade sharp enough to dice it. If it tastes bad, all that was for naught.

Likewise, if the music is good, the average listener isn't going to think "Hey, I wonder if this was made on a gameboy or FL Studio. Is it fake-bit or 8-bit?" They're just going to say "This is cool music."

Unless they are nerds.

Well then I guess I know A LOT of nerds. Everyone I know who experiences chipmusic for the first time, likes it more when they find out which hardware it was actually made on and that it's not faux-bit. If it's fake-bit they get disappointed. To them it's more exciting to know that someone programmed a machine that they used to play Pokemon on. It's not a bad thing. And I think people wonder what music is made on a lot more then you think. Especially Electronica like this.

herr_prof wrote:

As an artist I really dont want the only reason to be in a room is that someone thought my electronics was neat.

Of course no one wants that. But to have listeners who both like your music and value the process is what everyone'd want.
But I'd still be happy talking to someone about the electronics.