Tokyo, Japan

Im street. I don't do this for money.

Gosford, Australia

i do it for tha PUUsssaY

I think it's sad to realize how few people really understand the music industry whether they're a musician or not. In fact I think it's even worse when a musician has these misconceptions because they go into it with unrealistic and overinflated expectations of what their efforts will actually generate back. So many people just view success in music as "making it big." They don't realize that every piece of marketing and advertisements that you see, every tour that has been put on, every release that's been made into physical copies and piece of merchandise created has to be paid for by someone and for the majority of the time that someone is the band themselves (or paying other people to do that for them).

TINSTAAFL, man.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There_ain% … free_lunch

Last edited by an0va (Jun 23, 2012 4:33 am)

Gosford, Australia
an0va wrote:

In fact I think it's even worse when a musician has these misconceptions because they go into it with unrealistic and overinflated expectations of what their efforts will actually generate back.

bingo!

for me personally, the point in my life where I really understood the music business (as opposed to just learning at TAFE and being like "oh that's a bit shit innit") was the point where I decided I didn't want to try to make money from my music.

if you want to give me money for my music though please do because all my undies have holes in them and i need new ones

Last edited by Victory Road (Jun 23, 2012 4:48 am)

PDX, PDX

I play about a show a month and can make anywhere from 30-100 bux a show including album sales. The $500 a year figure seems pretty consistent with those who are serious about playing shows and making music.

Its also a game of always keeping yourself available for shows. Never say no but always require at least a little from the door. If its a free/charity gig, most people don't mind covering gas if you're driving a distance.

Don't do it for the money. There isn't much.

mechlo wrote:

I play about a show a month and can make anywhere from 30-100 bux a show including album sales. The $500 a year figure seems pretty consistent with those who are serious about playing shows and making music.

Its also a game of always keeping yourself available for shows. Never say no but always require at least a little from the door. If its a free/charity gig, most people don't mind covering gas if you're driving a distance.

Don't do it for the money. There isn't much.

fully!

buffalo, NY

So I think it's an important distinction to make, nobody is making chiptunes for the money. They make it because they love the aesthetic, culture, circuit bending, whatever.  As opposed to say dubstep. I'm sure there's plenty of assholes out there who say 'oh this is big, people will like me if i churn out some wubs'.

That's not to say nobody making chiptunes is making money.  It's not fucking deadmau5 money, but it's something.

Washington / California

How about people that mod gameboys and sell them online? I'm sure they make more than the average chiptuner

BOSTON

hmmm... for those of us in the 1%, can we get a chipmusic PLATINUM account or something? im envisioning a special forum where we all sit around in top-hats drinking tea discussing various ways to keep the blue collar chiptuner down.

Last edited by BR1GHT PR1MATE (Jun 23, 2012 7:10 am)

buffalo, NY
TERADAKTYLE wrote:

How about people that mod gameboys and sell them online? I'm sure they make more than the average chiptuner

I'm sure that they're hobbyists that took their skills to meet a demand like a good entrepreneur.  And yes.

Brunswick, GA USA

$20 DMG + $20 materials + $100 soldering iron that doesn't suck + $200 workbench with less of space + rent + food = these guys don't make much either

Philadelphia

Moral of the story is make music for fun and not for money. You'll most likely end up happier that way anyway.

hhhhnnnnnngggggggggg
BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

hmmm... for those of us in the 1%, can we get a chipmusic PLATINUM account or something? im envisioning a special forum where we all sit around in top-hats drinking tea discussing various ways to keep the blue collar chiptuner down.

you just described reddits r/lounge sub forum... its reserved for only those that have donated to the site. although, i wont be surprised if you are all redditors and know this already... >_>

Holland

I holler for a dollar boo-boo.

Italy

Man, I joined chiptune to become rich and famous and now y'all say me you don't make any money?

danimal cannon wrote:

So I think it's an important distinction to make, nobody is making chiptunes for the money.

I agree with this.

lolusa
mepufw wrote:
BR1GHT PR1MATE wrote:

you just described reddits r/lounge sub forum... its reserved for only those that have donated to the site. although, i wont be surprised if you are all redditors and know this already... >_>

well i learned something. I'm glad this thread got through to me