NC in the US of America
Auxcide wrote:

Well then I guess I know A LOT of nerds. Everyone I know who experiences chipmusic for the first time, likes it more when they find out which hardware it was actually made on and that it's not faux-bit. If it's fake-bit they get disappointed. To them it's more exciting to know that someone programmed a machine that they used to play Pokemon on. It's not a bad thing. And I think people wonder what music is made on a lot more then you think. Especially Electronica like this.

But did they like it before they found out? I guess I'm thinking about the younger generations who didn't grow up with the Gameboy or NES, or were too small for their older siblings to feel safe letting them play on it.

Do they actually seek you out and ask you? Or do you volunteer the information?

But of course they'd like it more.

'haps you are right about the whole thing. You have way more experience with it than I do.

Now... what happens when chipmusic becomes widely accepted as a musical medium. We all want people to stop saying "Mario at a rave" and "bleep bloop music" and "video game music" and "lolwut is that beeping noise?"

But when they do stop saying that, and, instead, say the things that chiptuners say when they hear a good tune, and chipmusic becomes more mainstream... will we stick with it? If MTV starts showing chiptune videos and we can actual make a living off of it... will we still call it legit?

California
SketchMan3 wrote:

If MTV starts showing chiptune videos and we can actual make a living off of it... will we still call it legit?

No we'll say chiptune has sold out and move on to other niche-y music.

But seriously I fear for the day when chiptune becomes fully "mainstream."

São Paulo, Brazil
VCMG wrote:

I fear for the day when chiptune becomes fully "mainstream."

Looks like I'm back to 8bc forum circa 2008.

Brunswick, GA USA
SKGB wrote:

That being said, I would totally run a gameboy modding service if I had the time to self promote another business venture for myself.

I know a few words for investments that don't make money. I mean that as a show of respect for people who do that sort of thing anyway.

I have spoken with people who, upon finding out that my tools are inexpensive, seem disappointed as if I'm not artistic enough. I find the notion mutually disappointing.

BOSTON

eh, i think every new batch of chiptune peeps has to have this conversation once or twice to get it out of their systems.

Its funny to see people still adopting a sort of black and white stance on this stuff though. Both opinions are valid within certain contexts and clearly things can work either way.

Last edited by BR1GHT PR1MATE (Jun 24, 2012 9:31 pm)

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]
SketchMan3 wrote:

'haps you are right about the whole thing. You have way more experience with it than I do.

Hahaha I don't really think I do. wink

buffalo, NY

Old man Chiptune over here, telling it like it is

lolusa

I still think people (as a whole) don't care about the process, especially if we are discussing whether or not you are going to make money doing this. I mean, the only reason why people who "don't understand chipmusic" are being discussed is because they're a populous market with money.
Recording music from a guitar to a computer is magical idea to a lot of people.
Manipulating sounds with effects is mystical and only what professionals are capable of.
But if we had zach galifiankis pick up a copy of lsdj for hangover 3, we should all be good and see the money roll in.

sweden
ovenrake wrote:

I still think people (as a whole) don't care about the process, especially if we are discussing whether or not you are going to make money doing this. I mean, the only reason why people who "don't understand chipmusic" are being discussed is because they're a populous market with money.
Recording music from a guitar to a computer is magical idea to a lot of people.
Manipulating sounds with effects is mystical and only what professionals are capable of.
But if we had zach galifiankis pick up a copy of lsdj for hangover 3, we should all be good and see the money roll in.

Can Skrillex be the new Beck?

NC in the US of America
Auxcide wrote:
SketchMan3 wrote:

Hahaha I don't really think I do. wink

Sarcasm. Readings... Inconclusive.

You've actually released stuff. I'm still a "bedroom jammer".

I feel like it'd be a good day to make back the money that was spent on the gear in the first place.

lolusa

Why not?

Florida

When it comes to being financially successful with chip music, I think 4mat has it right. You do as much as you can to broaden the appeal and pimp yourself to the masses.

That said, I think the techniques/hardware used to produce it are also important. Though I don't think they have much to do with making dough. Pushing that kind of stuff will confuse your average musically-ignorant person looking for tunes on the ole internet.

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]
SketchMan wrote:

Sarcasm. Readings... Inconclusive.

Wasn't sarcasm.

Brunswick, GA USA
Jay Tholen wrote:

That said, I think the techniques/hardware used to produce it are also important. Though I don't think they have much to do with making dough. Pushing that kind of stuff will confuse your average musically-ignorant person looking for tunes on the ole internet.

Not talking about technique doesn't mean out isn't important, out just means you're not revealing them, and that's okay. Sometimes people want to know how you do things and sometimes they don't.

As for MTV, should they be playing chipmusic during Jersey Shore or 16 and Pregnant?

BOSTON
chunter wrote:

As for MTV, should they be playing chipmusic during Jersey Shore or 16 and Pregnant?

IF YOU ONLY KNEW

Brunswick, GA USA
nordloef wrote:

Can Skrillex be the new Beck?

No, though the image of Skrillex as a homeless busker is... interesting.