Tacoma WA
defPREMIUM wrote:

oh ok nvm then

whoops i was trying to agree with you...

oh ok nvm then

wink

Sweden
Monotron wrote:

Honestly it's stuff like this that keeps me from jumping deep into the community here, or anywhere else for that matter. The idea that there has to be a certain standard for chipmusic and that experimentation/uncy tracks mean you're terrible and a noob and should quit.

Everyone has standards. If you for any second think that the chipmusic community shares a single standard that everyone agrees with, take another guess.

Yes, negative reinforcement is cool if it's constructive, but saying "You're new, your music is bad because you're new. Leave" is just stifling the community.

I hate when that happens. Wait, when did that happen again?

I see the opposite happening a lot. Someone new posts an awful song (and I don't mean "unce" or "experimental" -- no one thinks awful defaults to a particular style or genre -- but awful in the sense that the composer will probably disown it when they write their next song) and gets totally unfounded praise from either people who are just being nice, or people that have an equally bad idea of what they're doing. Doing this instead of either ignoring or criticising it just is just bad.

Yeah, these people are rightfully proud of having created something at all, but scratching their backs about it will just feed their ego in a way that is detrimental to their development as musicians.

Instead of bashing newcomers, you should help them get started. You don't need to hold their hands, I never had anyone to teach me lsdj/famitracker. I learned on my own time, but a little help never hurts.

Agreed!

To me at least, chipmusic is about creating something in a way that is unique and fun. It's sort of taking out the advanced-ness of modern tech and making music in a more intimate way. I think all this garbage about "real chipmusic" is a load of hoohey. Setting limits on what people should make just kills any creativity.

I'm not sure where these perceived limits come from, but chances are it's just people having opinions. Talk about "real chipmusic" doesn't really have anything to do with limiting creativity. If anything, it's about limiting the definition of chipmusic. If limiting the definition of chipmusic limits your creativity, it's only because you yourself are limiting your creativity, which in the end isn't inherently bad.

There's no need to be a 24/7 tough guy just because someone asks you how to make an arp in LSDJ. You never know, that noob one day might bust out with some awesome tuneage the next.

I agree, but I know no examples of arp tough guys. Probably other noobs if they really exist, since anyone can look it up in the manual or the various tutorials helpful community members create. Even when people post questions they could as easily have written in a search engine, there are people who gladly provide the information.

My thoughts on the chipmusic community:

It's far more diverse than you are alluding to. It reaches far deeper into electronic realms, various genres of music and coding scenes. Popular chipmusic and this website are only the tip of the iceberg to its true form. If your chip life cycle dies as fast as you stumbled upon it, I just hope you had a good time and learnt a thing or two.

D D D Detroit, not the burbs
Lazerbeat wrote:
bryface wrote:

so no, the chip scene isn't dying or anything.  but i would say it's in flux, particularly in the area of online spaces.

Yeah it has been a fairly turbulent couple of years chipmusic wise. The rise of Pause and Ubiktune, (each about 20 releases a year) 8bit peoples and a lot of the smaller chip music labels have gone pretty much dormant. Micromusic, Lobitplayground, Blipfestival all ended for various reasons. But as I have mentioned before, I think flux is healthy and awesome!

I can get on board with this.  Also as other sites/communities slow down others tend to pick up, so this could be a "dry spell" in whats going but it could also be the most exciting thing to happen in a while.

Brazil

The most stupid argument is saying people here are so elitist that we even say GTFO N00B.

I've never seen that happening here, nobody ever said never come back here. At least what I've read here was criticism but stating that "you're n00b, you need to learn, m8", not just the usual GTFO.

The guys which are here are the same ones who got fed up with 8bc, everybody forgets that. 8bc was infested of cheap kids who were just jumping the bandwagon, I don't even know why they were doing that, full of crappy songs and shitty speeches. Here are the guys who wanted to make it a better community. If you don't like it, then I say GTFO.

But cm.org is not the chipmusic scene, which is the second thing people tend to forget here...

Tokyo, Japan
Heosphoros wrote:

It's far more diverse than you are alluding to.

It is also much MUCH bigger than just this forum. I mean how much do you know about the Japanese MML scene or the Russian ZX scene or the gigs content on mod archive?

Lazerbeat wrote:
Heosphoros wrote:

It is also much MUCH bigger than just this forum. I mean how much do you know about the Japanese MML scene or the Russian ZX scene or the gigs content on mod archive?

My point exactly. The gems are hidden deep within.

shanghai

the chipmusic realm is solely a gameboy and cm.o to atleast 50% of people doing chipmusic. they will appear, wonder why they dont have 5000 people listening to their songs when they bought a cart over 2 weeks ago ! They will ask things like 'how do i make a good song' (in one week without putting any time and love into it). They will most certainly decide their artist name, logo and gameboy colour scheme before they know how to use LSDJ. They will also tell the people here that have been doing it at-least a decade or decades! that they are mean for not telling them step by step how to do this and that on a new thread every two or three days. Because i think they mis-understand this website as 'chiptutorial.org'. Im being a snobby douche now, but it doesnt happen often that people tell people to fuck off straight up. I see stupid questions that could easily be googled answered very patiently and helpfully very often. The thing is you need to give something, spend some time learning and making friends before you can just stroll on in asking dumb questions that have been asked 6 million times already that year. If you upload a song you made in your first week making music of anytime, chances are unless you're very talented it will be shit. you'll be lucky if you get a polite 'try harder'. and when you listen back in 3 years if you're still making music you will realise why people arent in a rush to shower it with compliments. im ranting, i dont know why. cm.o did this to me, i wasnt like this before honest. well my new apartment keeps having powercuts and its maybe made me slightly ANGRY a bit . thanksforreadingwalloftexttimeforprebedspliff.

Brunswick, GA USA

I know one example of a poster being hazed from the beginning, it appears the video was taken down:

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/8408/view/

Lazerbeat wrote:
Heosphoros wrote:

75% of the Synthboy+'s I have sold have been going to Japan.  I am starting to translate promos in Japanese.  At this moment I would say that is where the real interest is.

Vienna
chunter wrote:

I know one example of a poster being hazed from the beginning, it appears the video was taken down:

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/8408/view/

i think it was this song.

vancouver, canada
boomlinde wrote:

arp tough guys

that would be an awesome name for a new chip band.  i can picture the cover art so clearly.

i agree though, there are too many "this song was totally mind blowing man! SO. GOOD." comments on songs which i think are pedestrian at best if i'm being totally honest - either because of low collective standards, or because commenters feel they should pay forward the "good chip vibes" that they think should be characteristic of the chip scene.

Planet Zaxxon

I am fortunate enough to live in between NYC, BOSTON, and PHILLY. The chipmusic community has been most radical and only continues to elevate its level of raditude.

Brunswick, GA USA
Rico Z wrote:

i think it was this song.

It wasn't, by comparison that song is pretty good...