Decktonic wrote:
an0va wrote:

I learned all I know about music theory and history through the most basic means-going to the library and checking out music textbooks (now, just ordering them online or getting them at a bookstore).

totally off-topic, would you mind sharing some of your favorite music theory books? I'm getting hooked on it myself but I just have a couple online sources I've been reading.

Mark Levine's Jazz Theory and Jazz Piano books are great even if you have no interest in Jazz whatsoever. They teach interval relationships and chord patterns without all the classical music history fluff. I wasn't interested in being Leonard Bernstein, I just wanted to help my own workflow and those books are great for that. I'm also reading Max Reger's small paperback on modulation. Should be interesting. Best piece of information I can give is find a piano/keyboard. The keyboard is easily the best instrument to visualize music theory on, IMO!

Victory Road wrote:

y'know i heard from a few people that a significant number of musicians end up studying psychology - sounds about right! say an0va, how long did you have to spend on your degree (bachelor & masters)? i've just started this year and i'm looking at 6 years minimum for clinical - is it any different in the states?

i think growing up is realising that everyone is just fucking insane and that you're totally okay with it!

Hello fellow psych fan! I did four years undergrad and two years grad so yeah, six years. It depends on what you want to do though, it may include med school! Perhaps you're right, maybe we are all insane

Jake Allison wrote:

Really liked your post smile honesty rules

Thanks! I figure everyone else was being straight up so I might as well too. I have nothing to hide.

Last edited by an0va (Apr 27, 2012 4:54 pm)

Unsubscribe

Yea im glad I my jerky fake one  in before all these heartfelt ones.

New York, NY

30 something
Father & Husband
Living the A/V dream at a hotel in NYC.
Currently living in Hoboken, NJ.

The Bronx

I redefine space, time and magnetism.

buffalo, NY
herr_prof wrote:

Yea im glad I my jerky fake one  in before all these heartfelt ones.

hah, mine may have sounded like a jerky one but it was accurate.

I just ran into an old neighborhood friend at lunch today.  He was in his suit doing the 9-5 thing, I'm pretty sure he's doing really well at it.  He was asking about my life, so I was telling him about music and the constant traveling.  We were kind of talking about how my life is very fulfilling, but getting a nice guaranteed paycheck at the end of the week provides some very fulfilling stability as well. 

It's something I think about a lot.  I have my BS in cellular and molecular bio, and I did some internships doing genetics research in labs, but I have never had a full time job in my life.  Ever.  Which is crazy, I'm 28 working at the same place since I was 19 (the benefits are unreal).  I've been putting off real life in order to pursue music which has been increasingly profitable. 

Currently I'm trying to make music more of a professional career by becoming a bigger artist, selling more albums, and getting into soundtrack work since I'm a professional audio engineer.  I have so many peers that are succeeding at these things.  I had a guy open for me 3 weeks ago who made 15k on music last week.  The band I'm going on tour with is playing with Tenacious D and the Foo Fighters on our upcoming tour.  Stuff like this happens all the time.  I just got keep doing my thing.  I just have to remember that sometimes you have to throw your life away, and pay in blood to achieve what you want.

brooklyn!
danimal cannon wrote:

(real life stuff) I just have to remember that sometimes you have to throw your life away, and pay in blood to achieve what you want.

and here's truth.

To the last few posts, priming the conversation further: Now what is your life outside of music? Think hard about that-it's pretty tough when you think about it. I'm sure it's tough for just about everyone on here, actually!

buffalo, NY

Work and gf. That's literally it. I think my gf killed my social life lol

Michigan
an0va wrote:

To the last few posts, priming the conversation further: Now what is your life outside of music? Think hard about that-it's pretty tough when you think about it. I'm sure it's tough for just about everyone on here, actually!

haha the more i think about this the more true it is.

i just graduated after a 7 year stint in college with my B.F.A in graphic design. i was really lucky to have found something im very passionate about, but a sabbatical is long overdue.

when not hanging out with the lady or consuming the best pizza in the grand rapids, MI area i like to hop on the old shred sled and throw down a few kickflips. im getting older now, so my body cant take the abuse it used to but ill never not love skating.

but other than that my life is music. i love it. i wish i could make it a full time job, and i might be going back to school in a year to pursue a degree in recording engineering, or something similar.

Lexington, KY
danimal cannon wrote:

Work and gf. That's literally it. I think my gf killed my social life lol

I feel you. X_x

Loving where this thread is going. It's great to learn more about where people are coming from and where they want to go. Obviously I understand that music is a huge part of everyone's life here but seriously fuck it-we are all a lot more than simply audio recordings, image branding, and artist names. We are people. Who are you?

Philly, PA, USA
minusbaby wrote:

I redefine space, time and magnetism.

originoo godd usurpaz

Tulsa, OK

I was recently elected president of my high school's chapter of the National Honor Society smile

I spend a lot of time doing THINGS, when I slow down I get stressed out about all the THINGS I have to do tongue

Sydney
an0va wrote:

where people are coming from and where they want to go.

i came from my mums vag.  im gonna die and be buried in a hole. unless on Dec 21 aliens come and take us to salvation... that might mix things up a bit

The Hollow Earth
ultraturducken wrote:

im skrillex

DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!

J/K wink

Gentle Hurst wrote:
an0va wrote:

where people are coming from and where they want to go.

i came from my mums vag.  im gonna die and be buried in a hole. unless on Dec 21 aliens come and take us to salvation... that might mix things up a bit

uhhhhh no

› Show Spoiler