Sydney
an0va wrote:
Gentle Hurst wrote:

i came from my mums vag.  im gonna die and be buried in a hole. unless on Dec 21 aliens come and take us to salvation... that might mix things up a bit

uhhhhh no

› Show Spoiler

im gonna die a badass way like gangstas killin' me in the middle of the desert. they dont have time to burn me. i gotta dig my own grave

Tokyo, Japan

I have a couple of teaching jobs and I help out at a tattoo studio. This isn't exactly "outside chip music" but I am pretty friendly with a really nice community of indie musicians here and we have monthly music show and tell meetings.

I adore music of all sorts of genres, loads of chip, skweee, 60s and 70s rock, classical, blues, motown, showtunes (yes really), early electronic stuff, all sorts. Love good stories, be they books, movies, podcasts, comics, whatever. Currently working through Scott Siglers stuff. Love history, mainly 1900s and onwards. My brain is always stuck in "problem solving mode" so I tend to be a bit spaced out sometimes. Also love classic hollywood, Wyler, Wilder, Huston, Hitchcock etc. I like games, my favorites are probably Go, Street Fighter Zero 2, Various Lucas Arts things and lotsa little indie games. Making furniture is hugely satisfying as is slowly getting back into shape after a year as a stay home dad.

Long term I want to look a bit more seriously at promoting, maybe do a soundtrack or two and get my Japanese up to translation level.

danimal cannon wrote:

I just have to remember that sometimes you have to throw your life away, and pay in blood to achieve what you want.

The phrasing seems a little dramatic but I totally agree with the sentiment of betting big every now and then. If it is any help at all, Im a bit older (34) and I spent my 20s in was which weren't exactly super smart long term. I walked out of as job thought I was nuts for leaving and moved to london with no job or place to stay. Then got tired of London and moved to another country in more or less the same circumstances. Then about 2 years ago a whole bunch of life stuff slotted into place and everything came up win!

Idaho

Suburban Idaho
Socially acceptable
Finishing off 9th grade

Isra-Hell

Will be 27 on May 19th, (I can't believe that I'm so fucking old!)
A Cool Web developer who recently (last month) became freelance,
(So feel free to contact me if you are looking for some f**king awesome web)

Stuck in HELL, Israel, no chip, no rave, and so boring!
wish somehow I will be able to relocate to the UK or Japan.
(Any tips [in PM] will be welcome)

I just barely started to play with LSDJ so I'm not a chiptune artist, at least not yet.

Saving money so I will hopefully be able to see you guys again this year in Blip Tokyo smile

Los Angeles, CA

I work at a french cafe/gourmet food store as the resident cheese monger. I have recently become a Foley walker on my days off from that. I am currently working on this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Sakyg8srKU . When I miraculously manage to have free time from either of those things, I make 8-bit music.
...I am confident that no human being has walked this earth that has done all three of those things before.

Babylon, NY

I'm an student working towards my master's degree in computer science.  This semester I am taking 4 graduate courses simultaneously which was probably the worst decision ever.  Money is real tight right now as I have no time to work a proper job.  I just got accepted to be a part of a research team working on a darpa funded project but I won't be seeing any paychecks until June. In the meantime I still work a family contract job at a private waste water treatment plant on the weekends but it only rakes in about 80 bucks a week and taxes are not taken out of the checks.  I've been working that job now for about 6 years and before anyone asks: no my name does not have anything to do with my unfortunate weekend profession. Music is actually something that I do in order to remain a sane person... I really don't have any time for it and often more times than not I find myself writing music when I should be giving attention to other more pressing concerns. 

Other things that I do outside of chiptune/music in no particular order:
- I am a forum admin/server moderator/active member/contributor of the gaming community at www.4chanpartyvan.net
- Playing a lot of PC games with the nice people from the above mentioned site. steamname: craphazzard
- Making gifs and stupid photoshop bs'ery.
- lots of social drinking / attending chip shows.

Boulder, CO

Drinking and avoiding people.

Melbourne, Australia

I'm a brave Ron Paul supporter (Ron Paul 2012)

Cleveland, OH

This is what I do:
https://vimeo.com/41122073
I'm the one in the black hat.

Last edited by thursdaycustoms (Apr 30, 2012 1:04 am)

Ciudad de méxico, MX

I'm a musician for the living. I wrote music for orchestra, theatre and everything that needs music. I'm also an electric guitar teacher in a Music School.

Now I'm working promoting gigs for classical music acts (LOL) and living the life. Also want to move out from my contry for good. I'm still working on it.

detroit
Derris-Kharlan wrote:

I'm a brave Ron Paul supporter (Ron Paul 2012)

Philadelphia

I'm an animation student who focuses on abstract and experimental works for the most part. Although the current university I'm attending doesn't completely support that so I've lost mostly all motivation to even go in that route. So music is always there for me to rely on. Here's an old old old old example: http://vimeo.com/20869146

Sydney
SubWooferSpecial wrote:

Here's an old old old old example: http://vimeo.com/20869146

that is sic. good work man smile

vancouver, canada

alright, too many awesome posts in this thread, i'll give it a whirl.

most of my interests fit the typical nerd stereotype.  i'm pretty sure i can hold my own in a star trek trivia showdown (except for anything voyager-related because it is teh sucks), and most other sci-fi shows and movies tend to be my comfort entertainment too.  there's the odd smattering of anime if i can carve out time for it (mainly the popular stuff though, nothing approaching obscure weeaboo territory).  same thing with PC games.

i'm a pretty avid volleyball player, but that's my pretty much my only source of physical exercise.  i'm pretty terrible at all other sports.  but i have been working out more lately because i've had enough of having a slight gut and poor posture and t-shirts not fitting well.

at work i do interface development - mainly Flash programming, but also some HTML/CSS/JS development.  i got into this mainly to animate cool interface stuff, occasionally programmatic animation, occasionally 3D.  on paper it sounds like great fun, and sometimes it is, but lately most of my work has been for flash banners which is incredibly tedious and thankless.  hopefully that will change soon, but if worse comes to worse, i might want to quit and give film/audio production a shot (probably'd have to go to school again though).

in the end, though, a career is just a job, so i treat such pursuits with a grain of salt.  many of my friends treat their work as the center of their life and base everything around it.  frankly, i find that view incredibly dull and limiting - i prefer to see my job as merely the thing that sustains me financially while i pursue the other things i'm actually passionate about.  i've also learned thanks to church life that work can never fully satisfy the deeper longings i have for meaning and purpose in this life anyway.

i'm fast approaching my 30's and there have certainly been days where i wish i had been more adventurous in my earlier 20's.  but to be honest, recently those regrets have been soothed by the fact that i feel like i am living more out of passion, right now.  a lot of it has to do with my getting back into creating music over the last few years and getting more involved in the international micromusic community.

i can honestly say that traveling abroad in the last year to blipfests in NYC and Tokyo and meeting so many amazing and like-minded people has been nothing short of life-changing.  back at home there's always been significant pressure from family/friends/colleagues to conform to their interests, because my own have always been so different.  i realized first-hand at blip that because there are so many people who actually DO share ALL my interests, i don't have to do a damn thing to compromise my identity.  i'm also comforted by the the fact that there are lots of people in the chipmusic community who are older than me but are still incredibly passionate about their craft.  this is a huge encouragment and tells me that my most interesting years can very well be ahead of me if i choose.

it's also given me new perspective on what i actually want for this life of mine.  career, success, interests and even relationships can come and go for all i care.  a life well spent, to me, is to simply have the privilege of crossing paths with interesting and passionate people that are wellsprings of talent and creativity. and to be present in situations where incredible things can happen.

and now, i present to you a fist going through a skull.

Last edited by bryface (Apr 30, 2012 8:38 am)

Gosford, Australia
justinthursday wrote:

This is what I do:
https://vimeo.com/41122073
I'm the one in the black hat.

sick.

i've been meaning to start skating more again, used to go every weekend when i was younger. got a new pair of xsjados a couple years ago but haven't used them nearly as much as i'd wanted to. also one of the bolts has seized and i can't change the wheels around ffffffffff

ALSO also all the dudes i used to skate with moved away or just don't skate anymore either so there's that too.

ALSO ALSO also i'm not very good! :<

Seattle, WA US

Okay I'll weigh in...

19/male/north seattle

Did college for a semester and failed.. probly gonna start that again soon. For now I work in a retail cell phone store. I'm good with phones for whatever reason but my coworkers are all super self-righteous and talk shit about the other ones on a daily basis (look at how they rub off on me). I live with 4 dudes spanning the ages of 23 - 45 in a 70s-esque house. They're all chill.

The live electronic dance music scene in Seattle takes up the majority of my weekend nights and is the center of my social calendar. I've seen a whole lot of the biggest names that bass music has to offer and continue to see more of them roughly 2-5 times a month. Yes, I go to a lot of raves and club shows. No, I don't wear stupid fucking beaded bracelets and rainbow suspenders, and I sure as hell don't have some stupid rave name. I really only go to the tours of artists whom I already like on a regular basis and the major raves every couple months.. never been too into the whole 'Unicorn BubbleFuck Dream Bash 14" styled parties. One of my roomies and a bunch of my other friends produce and are starting to get pretty good so I've been getting into a couple shows for free lately, which is nice.

Fashion has become an increasingly large interest in my life lately.. I collect a bunch of vintage basketball jerseys, retro snap-backs, Nikes, and japanese selvage denim. Because of this I stand out at the local 8bit concerts/parties.. almost everytime I'm informed that I don't look like "somebody who would ever come to one of these things," but, I kind of like that. Its fine though, because they don't judge me and I find that I relate to many of them better than I do with my "friends" that I'd grown up and gone to school with.

Mary Jane is the only consistent girl in my life. Sometimes she inspires me to make music.. most of the time she inspires me to watch the First 48 and eat cheeseburgers. Its a love/hate kind of thing.

I always try to have a lot of fun, but frequently find that I'm really having too much fun when I stop and think about it. I've often decided to get my life on track, but anxiety, a colorful social life, ADHD, and my aforementioned relationship with Ms. Jane make it really really hard to do that.

I think my life is neat.