likeluke wrote:

tour support and booking, publicity, distribution.

True, but these things can be done without a label, but I guess are easier with a label, because someone else working for the label can do all that work for you.

I guess reading that albini article made me super paranoid of labels- that they are just crazy money hungry loan sharks!

̛̛̩̥̩̥̩̥̅ ̥⎬̛̛̛̛̛̥̥̩̥̩̩
8bitweapon wrote:
e.s.c. wrote:

i disagree totally...wanting to share things youve made creatively doesnt mean you are seeking fame or cash, but you may just be a human being trying to express yourself and connect with others

though i suppose this is less common in LA wink

If you are sharing your work, you are seeking attention. To seek any attention goes beyond "I do it for myself/the music". So whats the difference between seeking attention and seeking fame? It's the same when you get down to the core. smile

I guess it boils down to either you are promoting your art for attention, money, or both.

I have to disagree
It's not attention or fame I want
It's for people to enjoy my music like I enjoy others

Like I always say: If you're here looking for fame and fortune, you're in the wrong scene

Middlesbrough, UK

I have to confess i do love IFD, for one reason they are making music made with the aid of hardware they love. iv had a few convos with the lead guy Brian, and he knows his kit... sure its pretty POPie but... its accessible for a younger generation, and the thing is... no matter how i feel about keeping kids out, this elitism prick stuff will kill us all off...  also check out their acoustic heart of life john mayor cover, i really enjoyed it.

Los Angeles
Reteris wrote:
8bitweapon wrote:

If you are sharing your work, you are seeking attention. To seek any attention goes beyond "I do it for myself/the music". So whats the difference between seeking attention and seeking fame? It's the same when you get down to the core. smile

I guess it boils down to either you are promoting your art for attention, money, or both.

I have to disagree
It's not attention or fame I want
It's for people to enjoy my music like I enjoy others

Like I always say: If you're here looking for fame and fortune, you're in the wrong scene

That may be so, but if that is truly the case why not be totally anonymous? Post your music somewhere with no reference to you for free. Otherwise, you are seeking attention.

I'm not trying to upset folks, its just I've studied this a long time. When you get to the heart of what is motivating people/artists, this is what you are left with. I'm sure most people are not usually conscious of it either. smile

Last edited by 8bitweapon (Feb 20, 2010 10:44 pm)

̛̛̩̥̩̥̩̥̅ ̥⎬̛̛̛̛̛̥̥̩̥̩̩
LastKnight wrote:

this elitism prick stuff will kill us all off...

THE WHOLE SITE IS FULL OF DWEEBLES!

Reteris wrote:
LastKnight wrote:

this elitism prick stuff will kill us all off...

THE WHOLE SITE IS FULL OF DWEEBLES!

New York City
8bitweapon wrote:

If you are sharing your work, you are seeking attention. To seek any attention goes beyond "I do it for myself/the music".

I strongly disagree with this!
If you share your work you may seek connection with peers and communication, not exactly attention.
Attention is "look at me, look at me, look at me", and noting else!
There are far more options and situations in regards of music sharing than what you describe, which is tremendously narrow!
What is it that you  studied?

Last edited by akira^8GB (Feb 20, 2010 11:53 pm)

TSSBAY01

i would just like to add that i have never heard this band, and i will probably wait a bit to listen to em

Melbourne, Australia
8bitweapon wrote:

That's kinda really really wrong

Connecticut USA

I think we should stop debating about this band. It just makes us all look really lame. It's just like grandmas in a sewing circle. But seriously, there are worse bands out there, like Creed.

Last edited by MisfitChris (Feb 21, 2010 12:27 am)

AANABAY01

ihugdragons

Los Angeles, CA
akira^8GB wrote:

I strongly disagree with this!
If you share your work you may seek connection with peers and communication, not exactly attention.
Attention is "look at me, look at me, look at me", and noting else!
There are far more options and situations in regards of music sharing than what you describe, which is tremendously narrow!
What is it that you  studied?

Your definition of the word 'attention' is more a definition of the phrase 'attention whore'. Sharing your work to seek connection or communication with peers is still trying to get the attention of others. If you weren't interested in other people paying some form of attention to your music, regardless of your motivation, then you simply wouldn't release it to the public.

And I don't know why this is really a bad thing. I mean, why do people play shows? And when playing a show, do you want to play to a crowd (regardless of size), or no one at all? There are obvious attention whores who will do anything to get people to pay attention to them, but I think any artist who releases music desires some form of attention, otherwise they'd just be making music for themselves to enjoy and not share with anyone else.

Brooklyn NY US

God

Seeking attention for the sake of attention is basically the equivalent of seeking fame, and is generally a pretty soulless motivator for musicmaking, and attentive listeners will usually see that a mile off.

Seeking attention as a means to an end – for instance, personal / artistic connection, expression, dialogue, with peers, etc. – is, in my view, not the same thing. The attention isn't what's being actively sought, it's the connection. That to me is a pretty legitimate motivation for musicmaking, and I see it as distinct from the pursuit of attention for attention's sake.

IL, US

thank you bit shifter for putting roughly what i was attempting to say in far better words smile

8bitweapon wrote:

...I'm not trying to upset folks, its just I've studied this a long time...

I'm not trying to upset you, but I have a hard time taking this seriously.

Last edited by Battle Lava (Feb 21, 2010 1:22 am)

Unsubscribe
MisfitChris wrote:

I think we should stop debating about this band. It just makes us all look really lame. It's just like grandmas in a sewing circle. But seriously, there are worse bands out there, like Creed.

I kinda like creed better. But maybe thats cause ive stopped doing a christ rock blog years ago.