washington

Hype is for important people.

Edit: I just release crap and see how long it takes before I get any downloads. big_smile

Last edited by basspuddle (Aug 18, 2012 12:00 am)

IL, US

ugh, hell no upcoming releases section...thatd just be more stuff that id need to paty attention to see if it happened yet, then move to a new section (like upcoming gigs/past gigs), except this just adds something we probably don't really need

Cambridge UK

Nah. A stickied thread in the releases section for the kids to hype their shit in.
Every other place would be off-limits for "hype".

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]
spacetownsavior wrote:

hype should come from you having already released stuff that people liked. no one needs a thread specifically for hype; announcing that you're doing something should, if you're good enough, automatically hype people up. this place has a weird entitlement complex where all new musicians feel like they deserve just as much hype as people who've been doing this for years.

my first full-length got exactly 1 reply, and that's how it should have been.

Who hurt you? This is all so wrong. I don't see anyone expecting as much from giving a preview of what they sound like then the 'pros'. They don't need to hype because they're known, other people need a chance to showcase their sound.

So where should prerelease stuff go? Like preorders and stuff.

Chepachet, Rhode Island

I think having 1 hype thread would devolve into a bullshit section. Hype it on Facebook and Twitter...leave CM.org to concrete releases.

Hell, when the album comes out ill see it in the release section anyway so wtfs the point of hype threads besides reading a thread full of "NICE", "CANT WAIT", "ILL SUK YER DCK"?

Last edited by 8-Bit-Rex (Aug 18, 2012 12:16 am)

uhajdafdfdfa
George wrote:

Nah. A stickied thread in the releases section for the kids to hype their shit in.

i like this but why does it have to be stickied

if people forget how to hype their stuff that's fine by me

Cambridge UK
ant1 wrote:
George wrote:

i like this but why does it have to be stickied

if people forget how to hype their stuff that's fine by me

Agreed, but we need a solution. NOW.
BECAUSE I SAY SO.

San Diego, CA
Auxcide wrote:

Who hurt you? This is all so wrong. I don't see anyone expecting as much from giving a preview of what they sound like then the 'pros'. They don't need to hype because they're known, other people need a chance to showcase their sound.

It's a misunderstanding of what "hype" is. Hype is something that other people feel, it's not something that you do. Promotion is what tells us why we should feel hyped. If you want to promote releases, that's fine, promote them all you want. But promotion means INTELLIGENTLY letting other people know that your release exists or will exist, and you have to go through the process of promoting material in order to get to the "hype" phase -- too many people are trying to skip past that process and just get to the hype part, and when you do that, other people that aren't interested in your material become even more disinterested; for them, it might as well be white noise to filter out, especially when it's the same group of people getting hyped.

Basically, hype is a feeling, and promotion is a process that is supposed to tell other people WHY they should be getting hyped. If you skip the process, no one knows why we should be excited, and we veer eerily close to the "circlejerk" category, which I like to avoid.

EDIT: HYPE IS A FEELING

this just sounds strangely prophetic

EDIT2: see post below me

Last edited by spacetownsavior (Aug 18, 2012 12:33 am)

uhajdafdfdfa
Auxcide wrote:

people need a chance to showcase their sound.

you can showcase your sound by RELEASING MUSIC

not by starting threads about how you're about to release music

Tokyo, Japan

I think just calling the thread, "upcoming releases" and having it pinned would work?

Chepachet, Rhode Island
Lazerbeat wrote:

I think just calling the thread, "upcoming releases" and having it pinned would work?

I say just go for it. I have a feeling we'll see 1 in 10 posts being a promotion, but at least it'll be there for new people to bite at.

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]
spacetownsavior wrote:

stuff

I agree. When you put it that way it seems alot clearer. If you were to have a promotion thread what would be the line before it slipped into a hype thread?

I think an upcoming release thread would just fall into disarray. Too much clutter as people fall over posts trying to talk about releases.

I wonder if Radiohead get annoyed with Lady Gaga's 500 million views.

New York

I don't really think promotion is very necessary in the chip scene, but if people want to share like...previews of their albums ( the little highlight snippets of each song strung together), i'm generally not opposed to it.

Just post it in the music section of this site or on soundcloud or something.

edit: soundcloud not souncloud

Last edited by Parallelis (Aug 18, 2012 12:56 am)

IL, US

yeah, generally if i want people to know i have something new coming out, i upload a track to the music section and mention the name of release (and release date if i know it yet)

Gosford, Australia

are there really that many hype threads that it's an actual problem? like is it actually detracting from people's forum experience that much? these questiond aren't rhetorical, i genuinely don't know!
still i think posting a thread under "releases" before you actually release the thing is properly daft. at least have a preview thing (i don't like those either :v)