Nottingham, UK

Can we give bandcamp props for letting you upload NSF's as bonus material because people asked for them to do it?

Los Angeles, CA

I have a personal website, and my bandcamp gets more hits and makes me more money. I have to renew the domain for my site here in a couple days and I've really been pondering whether or not it is actually worth it...

Obviously, go with what works for you. I don't give a shit if people use bandcamp or not, I have no personal interest in it. But to discredit the entire site because of a couple of trivial complaints when it obviously works quite well for the majority of artists who use it, is fucking stupid.

Soundcloud is good for sharing tracks, but that's basically it. For artists who are trying to sell their music, I can't think of a better alternative than bandcamp.

ForaBrokenEarth wrote:

Can we give bandcamp props for letting you upload NSF's as bonus material because people asked for them to do it?

And this, too!

Last edited by Wizwars (Jan 6, 2013 9:28 pm)

uhajdafdfdfa

bandcamp is convenient

Chicago IL

also I have to say i don't know where the poor customer support complaint came from, i emailed them about file formats and in a day or two they had given my account the 'upload any file format you want' power up

IL, US

i actually get more hits on my website than bandcamp, hmm

uhajdafdfdfa

archive.org is really better than bandcamp i recommend archive.org (Is This Guy Mad?! There Isn't Even A Way To Make Money From Archive.Org (how about a kickstarter where people pay you money to promise to put your songs on archive.org (once you've finished writing them of course)))

orange county, CA
Wizwars wrote:

to discredit the entire site because of a couple of trivial complaints when it obviously works quite well for the majority of artists who use it, is fucking stupid.

Soundcloud is good for sharing tracks, but that's basically it. For artists who are trying to sell their music, I can't think of a better alternative than bandcamp.

ForaBrokenEarth wrote:

And this, too!

truue.

buffalo, NY

lol at people dissing bandcamp.  You know what else is bullshit?  Digital Audio Workstations, puppies, and filibusters.

Madriz, Supain
danimal cannon wrote:

lol at people dissing bandcamp.  You know what else is bullshit?  Digital Audio Workstations, puppies, and filibusters.

I hate when people breath because I dont get any money from breathing first

Brunswick, GA USA
Wizwars wrote:

Obviously, go with what works for you. I don't give a shit if people use bandcamp or not, I have no personal interest in it.

Returning to the OP I'm glad chipmusic can do well anywhere. I hope people will get out of the habit of measuring success with money.

chunter wrote:

Stats speak for themselves, archive.org and SoundCloud get me more hits, making them better for me.

Soundcloud allows for linking to the venue where you can buy the track, right? I just link my bandcamp there.

If Soundcloud starts giving me hits, then they'll have the option to go to Bandcamp and buy the thing. I see no problem there...

Tokyo, Japan
Bit wish wrote:

. For a very small and unotice genre i think were doing pretty good big_smile

Just wanted to share this with you guys, just some moral boosting. :3

Totally agree, I love bandcamp and have bought more music through that site in the last 12 months than all music together I the last ten years. My only complaint was it is a bit of a pain for customers to manage their downloads but it looks like the user profiles thing has that sorted one it gets a puic release!

And complaining about not being able to download your own album? That has me mystified...

Los Angeles, CA
chunter wrote:

Returning to the OP I'm glad chipmusic can do well anywhere. I hope people will get out of the habit of measuring success with money.

Has anyone here really said that they measure success with money? It's not about that. Some people (myself included) feel that with the time and money that they personally invest into what is really a hobby, it is worth it to try to at least make a little something back. It's great if your brand new track has a lot of listens and likes on soundcloud, but those numbers do not translate into gas in your car or a bus ticket so you can play shows out of city / state, or fund a small run of shirts/buttons/stickers/whatever merch.

danimal cannon wrote:

Chipmusic.org is a filibuster.

shanghai

some people will moan about anything. jesus. bandcamp is perfectly fine and works well for hosting your own stuff. if you want everything your heart desires from a website that is FREE, you're living in a dream world. Its way better than having to fuck around making your own website if you ask me. and if you disagree then you can fuck around making your own website. Kind of funny that people moan about it but still use it. You cant please some people

Earth

No turn-key service is perfect. But we keep on using them because they are simpler than DIY.