vancouver, canada
jefftheworld wrote:
bryface wrote:

...there needs to be more trusted curators, more recommendations from trusted artists, and more of a catalogue for finding good chipmusic...

I strongly agree that chipmusic is an art form.  I listen almost exclusively to chiptune and Amiga/DOS music and I get sick nerd chills when I hear the PC Speaker rendering of the Monkey Island theme.  If chipmusic was a religion, I'd be living as close to chipmecca as possible.  That being said, I don't see anything wrong with people enjoying and having fun with chip music.  I don't think chip music has to be a dark, contemplative thing.  'Chiptune' isn't a genre, it's a very wide set of aesthetics and I think that it's great when people do a wide variety of stuff.

i'm in the same boat as you - i'm as much of a "chipmusic geek", obsessed with the finer details and history, but i'd also like to not take my music deathly seriously and leave plenty of room for myself and others to approach it with some levity.

It's just that the reality is this: no matter the good intentions of the veterans and new guard have where inclusion is concerned, there is friction between these two camps and there always will be.

But this is true in pretty much any discipline outside of chip.  sometimes i wish we would all just accept this, instead of lampshading the issue and pretending that the chipscene is the most welcoming community in the world, when there's clearly a (albeit vague) unwritten expectation for new artists who want to join in.

What i think oldies and newbies can agree on, though, is this: the chip scene celebrates innovation and adventurousness on the musical, technical, or cultural level.  those who merely take the well-trodden roads should not expect to be regarded the same way as those who carve new frontiers, and shouldn't be surprised if their work gets a "bleh" response or gets ignored altogether.

Los Angeles, CA

I think chippers spend too much time wondering if chip is in decline and not enough time learning a new trick, making new friends in the scene, and writing new stuff.

Brunswick, GA USA

The YouTube puzzle is interesting, because I think there was a habit developed for saying "I make electronic (genre) music" and if people figure out or want to use a chip tag, they will. So now, there's all manner of chipmusic that won't call itself chipmusic....

I don't think there is a problem with curation. Music is so subjective that a broad description that chipmusic is isn't just likely to mix genres you don't like, it's virtually guaranteed. The large availability of low quality art is not a chipmusic problem, it's true across all music and art. People split off to their circles of friends and promote the music they like with each other, nothing changed there.

Don't be discouraged when an idea doesn't work or doesn't spread as quickly as you expected.

Share more music and more quality music will be available. The style dies when you stop making it.

babylon

i can understand why certain people get frustated sometimes. what i cant understand is why some of these people act pretentious about something were all enjoying in our own way.

buffalo, NY
Mrwimmer wrote:

I think chippers spend too much time wondering if chip is in decline and not enough time learning a new trick, making new friends in the scene, and writing new stuff.

Haha right?  If I hear a good jam, I share it with my friends.  That's my philosophy on the chip music scene

Madison, Wisconsin, USA

I miss 8bc.org sad

Los Angeles, CA
danimal cannon wrote:
Mrwimmer wrote:

Haha right?  If I hear a good jam, I share it with my friends.  That's my philosophy on the chip music scene

Hasn't failed me yet.

Abandoned on Fire
xX 8 BIT CHAMPION Xx wrote:

I miss 8bc.org sad

Never fear!  http://ucollective.org is here!  big_smile

Madison, Wisconsin, USA
egr wrote:
xX 8 BIT CHAMPION Xx wrote:

I miss 8bc.org sad

Never fear!  http://ucollective.org is here!  big_smile

As much as I love uCollective, it will never replace the hole in my heart that 8bc left.

any sane doctor would recommend you not repeat activities which left a hole in your heart

on topic the chipscene is kind of like the kickstarter crowd, ie, you can make rehashed stuff your peers will pay for or attempt art and live in the cold

Chicago IL, USA

Chipmusic is just like every other genre/medium/style. 1/3 pretentious old farts, 1/3 whiny n00bs, and 1/3 people who are nice and productive.

rochester, ny
Bit wish wrote:

Please im just trying to get some thoughts here. Lately ive noticed that some old figures in the chip community have disowned this website and have said they want nothing to do with it...

i'm really curious who this refers to.

San Antonio, Texas
e.s.c. wrote:

its great that you think we even have the ablity to force people to make music the way we'd prefer, but lets be fair: someone not being interested in/being dismissive of work they arent interested in hearing is in no way forcing anyone to do anything... my music has never been very popular within this scene, and ive taken some shit for it off people, but since its the music i want to make i dont let their difference in taste/opinion effect my writing...the difference seems to be (as pointed out earlier) that at some point the scene transitioned from people coming in expecting little to no attention for their work (hell even 8bc had fewer than 600 members in 2007, including inactive accounts, so who was listening) to people who enter with somewhat inflated expectations based on having seen what this scene can be at its largest and grandest scale... sometimes this results in people feeling excluded and like some mysterious "elite" part of the scene is holding them back...

I had that happen to me. I got LSDJ and thought to myself, "I'm gonna be somebody with this silly artifact." Slowly I realized that wasn't the case. However, I did not just up and quit or complain about people not liking my stuff...hell, I barely record the stuff I write. Because I respect chip music so much I want to release music that lives up to the respect I have for it. Unfortunately, I don't think anything I've written since I started back in 2008 is worthy of that goal.

ForaBrokenEarth wrote:

HAHAHAH!

ad-hell-aide
SadPanda wrote:

Chipmusic is just like every other genre/medium/style. 1/3 pretentious old farts, 1/3 whiny n00bs, and 1/3 people who are nice and productive.

hahaha!

Tokyo, Japan

In going to go against the grain and be grumpy, pretentious and helpful.