England

my opinion on dubstep?

everyone needs ed sheeran dubstep remixes in their life.

Gosford, Australia
Downstate wrote:

The old dirty south / crunk beats have been knocking out for years, hence the old TI record called 'trap music volume one' from years ago...... its bong smoking hustler music out of atlanta. But now its turned into 'dance music' as opposed to a hip hop beat someone would mc over. I dont mind that. I dj it. Well the 5% of it that isnt utter shit....... it has of course evolved as you said things do. ==

feelin this, always had a soft spot for the dirty south style but i don't really like many of the more modern beats without any room for an MC
if i make a beat like that i usually fill it out with a filtered vocal sample or something cause i can't rap for shit haha (australian accent is literally the worst for rapping with)
BUT i thought the hardstyle bootlegs that flosstradamus did were funny and they kinda go off at parties
haven't heard any "trapstep" shit at clubs yet so that's a plus!

ANYWAY this boss wave tune is kinda cool but i was hoping for something more like moe moe kyunstep from the title
nerd-friendly producers like the monstercat guys are always doing this sorta shit. but i gotta rep my man savant cause he's actually taken an interest in actual chipmusic between his more produced stuff (which is often laden with VGM style riffs and melodies anyway)

San Diego, CA
Downstate wrote:

...but its annoyingly popular now...

I just find this kind of statement incredibly disingenuous. Here's the thing -- no one is a better or worse person for liking or disliking the things they like, and it really seems like you're getting to the point of not hating dubstep, but rather hating people who like dubstep (or brostep or corestep or metalrhythmcorebrostepbrostep).

I'm not trying to say that this kind of discussion about music isn't important, but I'm finding that more and more that I don't care about someone's "taste", but rather whether they can elucidate their taste without referring to whether other people like it or not. I don't think we should carry on talking about the latest trends as though there is some sort of objective measuring tape telling us whether music is "good" or "bad", because that kind of thing just stifles discussion. If it were me, I'd be into talking about what the aesthetic of dubstep reveals to us about the cultural climate of the intended audience, which I think is a much more valuable discussion than why dubstep is bad, because it just ends up being an argument about subjectivity, which never ends up going anywhere.

Madriz, Supain
Chainsaw Police wrote:

Have you really ever sat down and tried to hear what Skrilex does with those two-beat tearouts at the start of Scary Monsters? That's some insanely crazy FM synthesis shit going on right there.

I did and the only insane thing about it is its fame

Westfield, NJ
spacetownsavior wrote:
Downstate wrote:

I just find this kind of statement incredibly disingenuous. Here's the thing -- no one is a better or worse person for liking or disliking the things they like, and it really seems like you're getting to the point of not hating dubstep, but rather hating people who like dubstep (or brostep or corestep or metalrhythmcorebrostepbrostep).

I agree with what you are saying but I also understand where Downstate is coming from. I imagine it is very annoying for him that so many people like something that he thinks is shite. That's definitely his problem, but then it is also very annoying when you are DJing dubstep nights and you are playing valid dubstep tracks and everyone is coming up to you requesting Skrillex and saying that what you are playing is not dubstep.

It's like if I was DJing a club and I was playing some classic french house and someone came up and asked me to play dance music. Something like this actually happened to me once and my friend stepped in and said "she obviously wants you to play Lady Gaga" and that's what made people happy. And I was obviously super annoyed at this whole exchange.

Basically what I'm saying is you can call something "annoyingly popular" when a lot of people are into it and they annoy you smile

And it's doubly annoying when the semantics are a mess!

Seattle, WA US
spacetownsavior wrote:

Good things

*claps*

Earth

The epic battle between cerebral and fun.

Madriz, Supain
breakphase wrote:

The epic battle between cerebral and ripoffing something for a bunch of bucks.

Fxd it for you

New Albany Indiana

Any one else think the robot looks like george lopezas charecter off of shark boy and lavagirl?

Chicago IL
SuperBustySamuraiMonkey wrote:
breakphase wrote:

The epic battle between cerebral and ripoffing something for a bunch of bucks.

Fxd it for you

I don't get why you're so angry about this

Madison, Wisconsin, USA
ovenrake wrote:
squidula wrote:

Personally thought the parts that weren't chip were lame. I couldn't produce like that, but I'm sure he could have come up with more of a contrast. Like chip chip chip chip DROP chip chip instead of chip chip drip chip chip

would have been sick if it was drip drip drip drip drip drip

drip > chip

Madriz, Supain
Saskrotch wrote:
SuperBustySamuraiMonkey wrote:

Fxd it for you

I don't get why you're so angry about this

Im actually not, I just dont get why this is cool and other shit is not.

shanghai
spacetownsavior wrote:
Downstate wrote:

Hmmm, well what i mean is  - the more a wider audience lap up the shitty brostep, (i mean an audience not so much into underground music or the culture that goes with it / but more an audience into dance remixes of pop songs) - then the more the scene dies.
Because people that used to make good stuff and not care about the FAME, compromise their shit and before you know it the artists that used to be innovative are just hashing out shit that is boring, predictable and 'safe' i guess i'd say. Not that you can blame them, they're probably thinking - "hang on, we've been doing this for years we should be getting the money too".  I dont hate people for liking brostep, but like Decktonic says - it's damn annoying that the people into 'dubstep' nowadays are the kind of fuckers that dont know the difference between any types of dance music, the same people that ask for 'hip hop' when you're playing PUTS or even Wu-tang instead of Rick Ross. (yes - someone has asked me for hip hop as i played wu-tang. when i kind of looked at them in shock until the walked off, they waited two mins then sent the boyfriend to request 'rap' instead. I know it sounds snobby but i feel im well within my rights to laugh and want to murder these morons haha

Westfield, NJ
Bit wish wrote:

Any one else think the robot looks like george lopezas charecter off of shark boy and lavagirl?

LOL +1

Austin, TX

I think the song's alright. Sticks to the tried-and-true formula you see in most popular dubstep production, but it's got some clever sampling here and there. Fun enough. I can't see my opinion on it really changing that much if they replaced the chippy leads with the average trance synths though. More focus on the chippiness would improve it drastically.

Dubstep doesn't really have anything inherently good or bad about it, I think. Most other popular EDM genres grow into similar structures: a strict formula, a characteristic instrumentation. Dubstep is essentially the new ULTRASAW BREAKDOWN-INTO-SILENCE TRANCE in that regard. What's Tiesto doing these days anyway?

There'll always be dudes who created the genre that make good material that doesn't adhere to that 100%, and there'll always be dudes who come afterwards and build off of the established formula. James Blake is pretty danged cool. And a lot of the subgenres that've spawned out of dubstep's quick rise have been interesting, at the very least. More dubstep horrorcore/gabba please.

I'm hoping that the popular dubstep goes the way of eurobeat, getting sent off to some part of the world where people will be able to appreciate it for decades onward without it getting in the hair of the general global populace.

Sweeeeeeden
kitsch wrote:

kids are indeed subhumans

I was wondering about that too. I wonder if he understands what the word means or just intend it to mean "miniature human" or something like that.