Harrisonburg, Virginia
Calavera wrote:

Cannot wait to see more of this.

Cincinnati Ohio

this is inspiring!  way to dive in head first!  this thing is gonna be a beast.  BEAST.

wow cool jobio

Backlight it!!!!

Santa Cruz, California
W4LKR wrote:

Backlight it!!!!

I was planning on it!!!!

Savannah, Georgia

want

Santa Cruz, California

While I was perusing the outerwebs, in search of some inspiration for my projects paint scheme, I came across this picture:

Am I the only person that wouldn't be disappointed? I bought a PSP when they were brand new, owned it for exactly two weeks, then went and did what any sensible person would do, and got a DS.

Last edited by Teh D3th St4r (Feb 4, 2013 6:25 pm)

UK, Leicester
Teh D3th St4r wrote:

While I was perusing the outerwebs, in search of some inspiration for my projects paint scheme, I came across this picture:

Am I the only person that wouldn't be disappointed? I bought a PSP when they were brand new, owned it for exactly two weeks, then went and did what any sensible person would do, and got a DS.

I'd be disappointed as a PSP costs twice the price, if not three times as much, you can pick gameboys up here for £10 or less. Also going to defend the PSP even though I'm still more of a nintendo man myself. It had a pretty decent battery life, the ability to watch films on it was pretty cool, unless you have in iphone like me which kinda makes it pointless. It also had a brighter screen, which I will admit at times is too bright, I much prefer playing disgaea on DS as it's less harsh on your eyes in the dark. Also DSs tend to brake more easily than PSPs, I have 4 broken DSs to the left of me (2 lights and 2 phats) whereas my PSP is still fine, although I have had it for a lot less time.

Would like to point out that I only broke the 2 phats, and that one of them was my fault.

Also congrats on the build, positively badass! Something I may try and replicate when I have a lot more experience.

Last edited by Alpine (Feb 4, 2013 9:26 pm)

Santa Cruz, California

Here we are again... waiting for glue to dry...

Exciting, no?
Can't decide how I want to paint this thing...

Oh SNAP! Look what just got delivered to my house; My new 64mb smartcard and premodded DMG. Alright, now I get to make some music.

But wait, there's a problem... The start and select buttons are hella sticky, and why do I have volume control out of my RCA jacks? This is supposed to be prosound.
*sigh* Let's go take a look.

We'll start with cleaning those buttons so they'll stop sticking.

Now let's have a look at this wiring...
WHAT!? You didn't even attempt to wire this thing pre-pot. If you're going to do a Prosound mod, make sure you've ACTUALLY done the prosound mod... line-level out needs to bypass the potentiometer, dude. All you did was add a couple of outputs, you didn't upgrade anything.

You can't tell from the picture, but this person took sand paper to the battery terminals *facepalm*

Luckily I had a full set of extras.

Electrical tape?! Are you serious? C'mon, shrink tube isn't expensive.

Well, I've absolved you of your modding sins (or whatever). Seriously, if you're the person that did these mods, you should be ashamed of yourself. Let's button this bad boy up and go make some tunes...

Still waiting for glue to dry.

Last edited by Teh D3th St4r (Feb 6, 2013 8:49 pm)

So don't take this as a rude comment because this whole thread is pretty awesome so far but I would like to clarify something...  You are building a pretty sweet rig from the ground up and then you ordered a premodded DMG?  The mods to that DMG are kindergarten compared to what you are building.  Did you buy a premodded DMG just to save time?

Santa Cruz, California
nerdsome wrote:

So don't take this as a rude comment because this whole thread is pretty awesome so far but I would like to clarify something...  You are building a pretty sweet rig from the ground up and then you ordered a premodded DMG?  The mods to that DMG are kindergarten compared to what you are building.  Did you buy a premodded DMG just to save time?

No man. I was looking for a flash cart to put LSDj on, and this one happened to come with a premodded gameboy. It only cost a little bit more than the cart by itself, and I thought "Hey, I might steal the backlight out of that thing for my keyboard". I already have two DMG's I've modded (not including the keyboard) and a C64, this thing was just the cherry on the top of my cartridge purchase.
This post was mostly about what I was doing while waiting for glue to dry.

Last edited by Teh D3th St4r (Feb 4, 2013 11:22 pm)

Ok that totally makes sense.  I just thought it was funny that you are doing a bigger build/mod than most people would do then you ordered a pretty basic modded DMG.  But yea, a cherry on top makes sense.

Any idea what all mods you are planning to do to this or are you just going to add things as you build?

Last edited by nerdsome (Feb 4, 2013 11:25 pm)

Santa Cruz, California
nerdsome wrote:

Ok that totally makes sense.  I just thought it was funny that you are doing a bigger build/mod than most people would do then you ordered a pretty basic modded DMG.  But yea, a cherry on top makes sense.

Any idea what all mods you are planning to do to this or are you just going to add things as you build?

I'm going to cram as many mods into my keyboard as possible. Considering the only mods that draw any additional power are my rocker switch and backlight, I'm only limited by how much room is available in the case. I wan't this keyboard to be the "One Stop DMG". I will want for nothing. wink

ohio gozaimasu
Teh D3th St4r wrote:

You didn't even attempt to wire this thing pre-pot. If you're going to do a Prosound mod, make sure you've ACTUALLY done the prosound mod... line-level out needs to bypass the potentiometer, dude. All you did was add a couple of outputs, you didn't upgrade anything.

It's called a post-pot prosound; he still bypassed the headphone amp (where much more noise comes from).

Santa Cruz, California
Cooshinator wrote:
Teh D3th St4r wrote:

You didn't even attempt to wire this thing pre-pot. If you're going to do a Prosound mod, make sure you've ACTUALLY done the prosound mod... line-level out needs to bypass the potentiometer, dude. All you did was add a couple of outputs, you didn't upgrade anything.

It's called a post-pot prosound; he still bypassed the headphone amp (where much more noise comes from).

I still wouldn't call that "Pro".
Post pot, the DMG's sign wave is terrible. It's okay if all you're using is a 1/4" stereo jack (as the transfer through that isn't what we'd call spectacular) but with RCA or Midi out, post pot defeats the purpose of having those outs in the first place...

Last edited by Teh D3th St4r (Feb 5, 2013 1:29 am)

Westfield, NJ
Teh D3th St4r wrote:
nerdsome wrote:

I'm going to cram as many mods into my keyboard as possible. Considering the only mods that draw any additional power are my rocker switch and backlight, I'm only limited by how much room is available in the case. I wan't this keyboard to be the "One Stop DMG". I will want for nothing. wink

maybe a really big laser? large enough to blow up a planet?