Montreal, Canada

Just to bother you even more.. I found a small bug.

The voices/channels used in the instrument editor for keyjazzing don't reset their pans. If you put like 19FF or 1880 in the program, it will hard pan to the right. Trigger the instrument once, then reset panning by using 1840 and triggering the sound once more. Now remove all panning instructions and keyjazz the same note many times. You'll notice one will eventually play on the right.

I know you hate me, I know.

In my opinion, Klystrack is the perfect chiptune tracker! If I could, I would use it exclusively. Unfortunately though, I can't compile it on my 64-bit OS X, and the only available OS X binary is old and much worse than the current nightly builds.

SO, I guess I will have to try again learning from my C programming book this summer. I would love to be able to help out with this excellent project on the OS X side! Until then I will have to deal with running the nightly builds in Wine. For some reason all of the programs I run in Wine have significantly worse audio quality than they do in real MS Windows.

Anyway, thanks kometbomb. I greatly appreciate this software!

I'll fix that panning issue today. I guess triggering an instrument should always play in the center unless it has a panning command.

trough wrote:

SO, I guess I will have to try again learning from my C programming book this summer. I would love to be able to help out with this excellent project on the OS X side! Until then I will have to deal with running the nightly builds in Wine. For some reason all of the programs I run in Wine have significantly worse audio quality than they do in real MS Windows.

I think there are some issues currently with OSX (probably related to 64-bitness) so the port is lagging behind.

Have you tried running Virtualbox and Linux? At least on my Windows it's very usable and the sound quality should be as good as it is non-virtualized. There is a klystrack package you can just run and it installs automatically.

kometbomb wrote:

Have you tried running Virtualbox and Linux? At least on my Windows it's very usable and the sound quality should be as good as it is non-virtualized. There is a klystrack package you can just run and it installs automatically.

Great idea! I'm sure this will work better—I remember using VirtualBox before and it had good sound for me too.

Panning bug fixed, increased number of FX buses!

Montreal, Canada

w00ts! moar fx!

Say.. while we have you here in a fixing mood. Could you take a look at the chorus at determine why it...er.. clicks/buzzes? It's very discreet and it took me a long while to notice it but the chorus almost always adds some clicks and pops over the sound. Most of the time its not very apparent because the sounds themselves are louder and full of high frequencies, but when you try to apply chorus on a smooth sounds, with a heavy low pass filter and listen to the result in headphones you'll notice.

For example, take a basic triangle wave and LP filter it down to 10 or 20. Apply some chorus to it (phase 40, it'll be even more noticeable) and listen to the instrument in headphones. Dunno what causes it, but its similar to an amplitude click, like when a sample starts on a non-zero value.

On that note... off to try 1232 smile

It's most likely that the chorus signal separation (you know how chorus works, it multiplies the input) is changed in steps that are too big and thus are audible as clicks. My guess is that the sine table used to modulate the chorus is not accurate enough so there are discrete steps in the sine wave. Will take a look at this.

Montreal, Canada

Aye.. that's basically it, an amplitude click when the panning moves. If you're using all that fancy sixty four bit math now, I'm guessing there's a way to make it more precise. If not, maybe fade in/out the steps?

los angeles

whats new with themes for klystrack? is anybody working on any? anyone willing to share some if they've made one?

n00bstar wrote:

Aye.. that's basically it, an amplitude click when the panning moves. If you're using all that fancy sixty four bit math now, I'm guessing there's a way to make it more precise. If not, maybe fade in/out the steps?

Yeah, interpolation is the key!

whats new with themes for klystrack? is anybody working on any? anyone willing to share some if they've made one?

I'm secretly wishing a certain someone would finish a certain protracker theme...

los angeles

i went to test this theme i'm working on but trying to load it causes klystrack to stop working. it might have had to do with me making the theme in a folder in my downloads folder instead of in C:/temp

Montreal, Canada

Might have to do with r1232 in general. It won't shut down properly, it crashes when you try to quit and the process remains in the process list and cannot be killed. I noticed that after about two weeks without rebooting I had a list of klystrack.exe processes about a mile long. So I wouldn't be surprised if some other thing in there wasn't working and made it crash.

shiroshii wrote:

i went to test this theme i'm working on but trying to load it causes klystrack to stop working. it might have had to do with me making the theme in a folder in my downloads folder instead of in C:/temp

The theme builder might be lagging and missing some file (it generally should load missing files from the Default theme). If you open stderr.txt in the same directory as klystrack.exe you can probably see what goes wrong.

n00bstar, this hangup Doesn't Happen On My Machine(tm). I wonder, do you have MIDI devices?

Montreal, Canada

Aye. I'm running two sound cards. The internal one, and my (old and weird) M-Audio Ozonic, which is a soundcard+midi interface+midi controller all in one, to which I got my Nord Stage hooked up as a second controller. The Ozonic registers as two separate midi interfaces (internal.. meaning itself, and external, meaning the in/out ports on it). So I'm running two sound cards, and two midi interfaces. Never caused any problems before though.

los angeles

i don't know if you know about this one but when i try turning on no prog restart klystrack stops working on the newest version :c

Last edited by breakfastsquid (May 21, 2013 5:02 pm)

Montreal, Canada

Indeed. Just tried it and it crashed here too.